Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the multiple difficulty Operation model?

AlyII
02.18.2012 , 09:07 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Iwipe View Post
Having content that only the top % of the hardcore raiders can access is a waste of development time and money - by having different diffculty modes - everyone has a chance to see the content if they want to - casuals and hardcore alike.

Also, you are incorrect when you say people will kill boss 3x times. Nightmare and hardmode share a lockout, so you can only kill 2x of the same bosses per week if they want to - want is keyword here. Guilds in nightmare/hardmode won't bother with normal anymore as most of the columi stuff that drops isn't an upgrade.

This ! "want is the key word here"

pojectshadow
02.18.2012 , 10:02 PM | #22
The only problem is that there is no real jump from normal mode to hardcore and nightmare. Its the same fight; if they added more mechanics to the fight this wouldn't be an issue. Really there is no real point to continue after doing normal mode besides loot progression. Plus imo the best WoW raid was 40 man naxx in vanilla. However those don't even come close to FFXI bosses; now those fights where legendary I.E absolute virtue one of the best if not the best MMO experience I ever had.

Occams_Razor
02.19.2012 , 01:05 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by GetPloughed View Post
And I hate to break it to you, but as someone posted earlier, those casuals aren't raiding, even if they are playing this game, they're still level 12.

The people that want the loot handed to them for just logging in, aren't casuals, I hate how people constantly call them casuals. They're just bad players who want to look pretty.
Actually, I have a full guild of casuals. Most of us have at least 1 level 50, we all want to raid, and many of us are new to MMOs, so we're experiencing some challenge with normal modes. We've spent about 9 hours raiding (three weeks, one night a week, three hour raid session) and have cleared EV and gone 2/5 in Karraga's Palace. We're having fun, feeling like we're accomplishing things, and hoping to perhaps try out Hard Modes once we get the hang of raiding. I'm sorry that you find normals a waste of time, but as a member of their target audience (who was a more hardcore raider in WoW, Vanilla to Cata, but needed to cut down his playtime) I think they're great!

Quote: Originally Posted by Sylriana View Post
The positive seems pretty obvious. The only problem here is that the hard modes in TOR are mostly numerical tweaks rather than new mechanics (which is what's making things boring and ). When you have hard modes with flavor and interesting new mechanics, they work great (see: Ulduar).
This is the most agreeable part of this thread to me. I would like to need to relearn the fight (partially) when I step up in difficulty. Simply hoping we've geared enough and tightened our DPS priorities enough to beat enrage with more HPs is not all that engaging. This means that only having "the best" loot as a motivator to beat our heads against Hard Modes. Not terribly appealing for folks who like the challenge of working out how to beat a fight.

Mavery
02.19.2012 , 01:24 PM | #24
Here's a simple solution: don't do normal mode.

This is not WoW. You do not need a clear of normal to do hard mode. Just ignore normal mode and clear the raid on hard / nightmare.