Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Well, <character>, it's been nice meeting you.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Well, <character>, it's been nice meeting you.

flyersfan
02.17.2012 , 10:29 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Knewt View Post
Can we get a TLDR version?
No. Read it. It's good for you.

Walkiry
02.17.2012 , 10:29 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by mokkh View Post
TL;DR : The op expected more backstory and thinks he can armchair quarterback his way to that end on the forums. Op also expects to be able to give further input to a character's development above what the ls/ds options allow.
Uh... No, I wanted LESS backstory. In fact, ideally Bioware'd have said nothing at all about my character's backstory.
You call that a rant?
WWTLIMD: What Would The Lunatic In Me Do? A collection of all my rants.
Because sig space is too restrictive.

CecilTellyn
02.17.2012 , 10:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
This strikes me as a lack of imagination on your part.
While I don't disagree with the OP at all, I do also agree with the above. A little imagination can go a long way in solving this issue

Dranzen
02.17.2012 , 10:31 PM | #14
He's a serial ranter. Seriously.

Lethality
02.17.2012 , 10:32 PM | #15
That's what always amuses me when people try to tie "RPG" to "story". They are not the same.

The more fleshed out a story is, the less RP value it has... here in TOR, we have our character's voice and story pre-defined, and there is no real choice we can make. It simply has far less freedom, and provides spoon-fed storytelling by digital actors.

I've always felt that way about games that ram story down your throat... they seem to be mostly for people without an imagination.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

YeknomStun
02.17.2012 , 10:33 PM | #16
They aren't pushing the buttons for you, feel free to forget everything in the quests and make up your own story

Gungan
02.17.2012 , 10:41 PM | #17
He actually has a point. The choices in the game are so meaningless they may not even exist, but more than that, you get to dictate nothing about the backstory of your character.

Scorchess
02.17.2012 , 10:43 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Gungan View Post
He actually has a point. The choices in the game are so meaningless they may not even exist, but more than that, you get to dictate nothing about the backstory of your character.
That's not entirely true, I made up a backstory for my bounty hunter's origins. The game did not slap me in the face for doing that.

mokkh
02.17.2012 , 10:44 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Walkiry View Post
Uh... No, I wanted LESS backstory. In fact, ideally Bioware'd have said nothing at all about my character's backstory.
So you require a re-enactment of birth? Or does the story just pick up with you writing it as it goes along? You do realize that the game requires programming done ahead of time for you to interact with it, right?

The backstory is the SMALLEST part of the character's development. Maybe if you had gotten past the meet and greet part of the story line you would have a better perspective.

Walkiry
02.17.2012 , 10:48 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
That's not entirely true, I made up a backstory for my bounty hunter's origins. The game did not slap me in the face for doing that.
It's true that the Bounty Hunter is less thorough about it, as long as you don't mind being bestest buddies with Bredan and not being involved with Mandalorians until the story lets you, so to speak. The Knight and the Inquisitor are a lot more hamfisted.

It won't so much slap you in the face as clash pretty badly with anything you've thought for your character before.
You call that a rant?
WWTLIMD: What Would The Lunatic In Me Do? A collection of all my rants.
Because sig space is too restrictive.