Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fun science: How to make a lightsaber

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Fun science: How to make a lightsaber

Drethon
12.20.2011 , 09:08 AM | #11
We currently have no way to cause light to go so far and terminate. You would need some sort of field that causes massive amounts of light inside it. The best approach we currently have really is a contained plasma fountain which based on current theories would need a massive magnetic field to contain it and redirect the fountain back into the handle to complete the circuit.

Really, a lightsaber that looks anything like star wars requires completely different technology. Metal swords with fields to deflect lasers and other projectiles would be a different matter...

jarjarloves
12.20.2011 , 09:13 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Drethon View Post
We currently have no way to cause light to go so far and terminate. You would need some sort of field that causes massive amounts of light inside it. The best approach we currently have really is a contained plasma fountain which based on current theories would need a massive magnetic field to contain it and redirect the fountain back into the handle to complete the circuit.

Really, a lightsaber that looks anything like star wars requires completely different technology. Metal swords with fields to deflect lasers and other projectiles would be a different matter...
i would say the bigger problem then having it come back is coming up with a blade that is able to deflect blaster shots and at the same time be able to hit against another light saber with out just going right through it.

It needs to have the properties of a solid with out being a solid.

Also if you use a strong magnetic field you need to somehow make it so it doesn't suck up all your lose change into the blade.

Tavenji
12.20.2011 , 10:03 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarco View Post
Is it possible to build a light sabre just like those found in Star Wars? The key may be found inside of a crystal.

Dr. Michio Kaku tries to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbRr5Br5t4

Enjoy!
Michio Kaku just likes to jerk off the nerds.

Nukeo
12.20.2011 , 10:20 AM | #14
This discussion reminded me of:

http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadge...e-cleans-teeth

Is a lightsaber possible. Ehh who knows, the power source would be the trick, and the blades being able to physically come in contact? I guess if the plasma was dense enough? Maybe it just condenses/compresses the local atmospehere a lot then ionizes it? Still we do have tools that use small bursts of plasma, so someday I'm sure someone will combine what technology we do have in an attempt to make one.

As for the radiation comment, that explains why when the immediate danger is over they turn them off. I also find it funny people in game running around with them active, much more dangerous than a pair of scissors.

dutrup
12.26.2011 , 07:54 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by thisisquick View Post
What if.... We put a mini black hole in the handle.... and it would keep the light from going too far out. But it wouldn't solidify it. One more problem solved for the lightsaber recreation.
not possible. Even in a Mini black hole the gravity would be too strong, and possible suck in the user or warp his sense of time... if it were even possible to create a black hole on such a small scale. The best way to make a "lightsaber" would be to follow the design that the toys use, having a blade that extends at the flip of a swich, then it would need something that super heats the extended blade and a second unit that cools the handle. I don't think it's entirely impossible if done this way. Still, not a real lightsaber, but close... and they'd all be red. Sweet.

Haajib
12.26.2011 , 08:11 PM | #16
The Chinese man said first that they could build a lightsaber, then he said that he cant acording to the laws of physics, and i agree the design is wrong however.

Protosabers - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Protosaber Makes more sence logicaly than a normal lightsaber, still its still hard to do it but maybee.

The real hope lies in these

Vibroblade - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vibroblade These suckers makes perfect sence and is producible with todays technology

Hiramas
12.26.2011 , 08:12 PM | #17
An electromagnetic field is actually the only way to contain plasma. When plasma touches anything not plasma, it either heats it up intensely or the plasma just falls out of its super headed state.

The "lore" explanation for a lightsaber is a plasma blade, which is arced by a magnetic field back into the hilt. If the blade touches solid matter, the field and the plasma cause a reaction which "seems" like solid matter. Reflecting a blaster bolt is just accomplished by the magnetic field by the way.
Republic Jedi Guardian - former RP-PVP Jen'Jidal
Can you please give us Server Transfers, so I can get back to a RP Server? Thanks.

Sinister-Sith
12.26.2011 , 08:34 PM | #18
Hrm. From what I recall regarding the possibility of a real, working lightsaber is that it would require two things...

a.) Plasma
b.) A warehouse-sized power source
Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz OC'd to 4.33GHz | ATI Radeon 6850 1024MB GDDR5 x2 | 12GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM 1333MHz | 7200.12RPM Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

jarjarloves
12.26.2011 , 08:48 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiramas View Post
An electromagnetic field is actually the only way to contain plasma. When plasma touches anything not plasma, it either heats it up intensely or the plasma just falls out of its super headed state.

The "lore" explanation for a lightsaber is a plasma blade, which is arced by a magnetic field back into the hilt. If the blade touches solid matter, the field and the plasma cause a reaction which "seems" like solid matter. Reflecting a blaster bolt is just accomplished by the magnetic field by the way.
again if you have a magnetic field it will suck in everything that is magnetic.

Not to mention since it is a magnetic field and lets say its positive on one end and it hits a negative light saber magnetic field the two blades will become stuck. Or if they are both the same they will repel each other.

It will have to be a very strong magnetic field btw if it is designed to deflect a blaster shot moving incredibly fast. Otherwise the blaster shot will have enough momentum to overcome the blaster shot and go straight through it.

So again Magnetic field on a lightsaber = epic fail.

pommopsicle
12.27.2011 , 03:14 AM | #20
o.0 everybody knows that a lightsaber is really just the force amplifyed through a power crystal. it said this in one of the books i think. and everybodys lightsaber is so fine tuned to thier own force, which is why it is extremely difficult to deflect other jedis lightsabers with your force, like in the cinematic.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.