Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maps and Navigation

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
02.17.2012 , 05:26 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
In our new series of “Quick Start Guides,” Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Social Media Coordinator Eric Musco helps new players to better understand certain aspects of the game. The second video in this series, “Maps and Navigation,” will teach players how to use their maps, and give helpful tips on how to travel the galaxy with ease.

Watch Now
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

riny
02.17.2012 , 06:45 PM | #2
I would have liked to hear discussion on x,y coordinate systems and if a /waypoint feature is (or will be) available. All the other stuff in this video seemed so basic that newbs naturally discover these on their own.
Advice? You want advice? Don't buy real estate on Alderaan.

ArianSix
02.17.2012 , 07:16 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by riny View Post
I would have liked to hear discussion on x,y coordinate systems and if a /waypoint feature is (or will be) available. All the other stuff in this video seemed so basic that newbs naturally discover these on their own.
+1, that would be really useful. Currently, I just wave the mouse around the map until I find the waypoint of where I'm supposed to be going, then head in that general direction... lol

Tkara
02.17.2012 , 07:32 PM | #4
Yup, having the ability to make waypoints would be great! I do the thing with my mouse all over the map too and I'm tired of that.

Suzina
02.17.2012 , 11:32 PM | #5
cool.
Member of Bane Fleet

TandyUK
02.18.2012 , 09:15 AM | #6
There is a fundamental part missing from the in game map system.

If for example I am on Hoth, how do I view the map of Belsavis, without having to travel there first?

Weavols
02.18.2012 , 10:33 AM | #7
Does it explain how people who have been traveling through space for thousands of years have incomplete maps of their own neighborhood? Fog of war is so stupid in this game. I landed on this planet from a space ship, seriously let me take a polaroid on the way down.

Deewe
02.18.2012 , 02:00 PM | #8
Making this tutorial was a waste of time, it just shows all that's lacking in the actual system:
  • We can't browse the maps seamlessly
  • We can only check the maps of the planets we are on
  • Zoom is inconvenient
  • Fading map when moving does not hides the now useless legend, mission tracker, world minimap and borders
  • We can't resize the map
  • We can't move around the map frame
  • We can't create our own waypoints
  • There's no way to select multiple point of interests at once
  • There's no difference between already done(or not) repeatable quests makers
  • All crafting nodes have the same icon
  • We can't choose whether to rotate the map or the compass
  • The map radar does not display enemies
  • There's no scale consistency between all maps

Don't think highlighting such a lacking feature was a good idea.

Holytoe
02.18.2012 , 03:50 PM | #9
I can figure out what Eric Musco was trying to say in the Maps and Navagation video ( http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/maps-and-navigation ). But what really occurs is the world/planet map does not "filter" icons; the correct term he may be searching for is toggle.

Filter is applied to maps for having all or some of the icons possible to be on or off whenever you want on the world/planet map... and that is just not a capability I know of in game currently.
Life is a delicate negotiation. cake is a lie and this is all a figment of your imagination. And the sith code about passion... interesting...

Ketchum
02.18.2012 , 10:33 PM | #10
Well I didn't know about the magnifying glass on the map, nor the filter options on the mini map...

This video works!
Murder and mayhem await