Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

shama
02.18.2012 , 03:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by shama View Post
I know the thread is very long, but if you read the first version of this thread you'll see it has happened to quite a few people. At the time this was first reported there was obviously a group of players who enjoyed exploiting it and causing grief to PvE players.
There are a number of 'early' planets, where both both Imps and Reps quest side by side. All you need to do to exploit this as a high level griefer is to go into stealth and hang around mobs being attacked by a lower level PvEer ... sooner or later they will use an AoE and unintentially flag themselves by hitting you with the splash damage. Then you can jump on them, kill them with ease while they are wondering *** happened, and laugh your griefer cackle
How interesting ... apparently double-yoo, tee, eff is a censorable swearword!
Quote: Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision

Maidel
02.18.2012 , 03:31 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
Some of them will keep the "red is dead" philosophy; some will totally avoid taking advantage of people who are low level of combat; some will be somewhat sporting about it*

*Say, for example, the guy in rift who would walk up to a lowbie and /say "Say uncle" ... if the lowbie did so, he'd leave them alone; if not, he'd kill them.
I'm sorry, that's just griefing people. How is that remotely 'sporting'.

If you don't know or don't understand you die and are humiliated. It's like a playground bully who walks up and demands you give him your lunch money or he would beat you up. At least if he beat you up and TOOK your money you wouldn't have been humiliated first.

ferroz
02.18.2012 , 08:24 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Maidel View Post
I'm sorry, that's just griefing people. How is that remotely 'sporting'.
He didn't kill lowbies that roleplayed with him (there was more to it than just "say uncle" but I don't remember the story well enough to go into any more detail; that's just what sticks out in my mind). Otherwise he went with the "red is dead" philosophy.

personally, I agree that's on the far end of "sporting" but it's still "somewhat sporting" and certainly doesn't fall into that guy's category 2 (as I say below)

Quote:
If you don't know or don't understand you die and are humiliated. It's like a playground bully who walks up and demands you give him your lunch money or he would beat you up. At least if he beat you up and TOOK your money you wouldn't have been humiliated first.
since that particular example was from a guy on a pvp-rp server, and he was rping (it made a bit more sense in it's full context but I don't remember it well enough to post all of it), I'd say it's not griefing; as I recall, the guy who posted about it on the forums was one of the lowbies that he ran into.

Even if you are convinced it's griefing, he's not one of the people who fall into that guy's category #2, since he was able to hack it on a pvp server just fine, wasn't someone who was taking advantage of the flagging system, wasn't sociopathic (seriously, that's one of the most misused terms on the internet), didn't thrive on unfair fights, was in zone looking for fair fights and the opposite faction zone pve achievements, didn't use pve mobs to help him, and wasn't surprising the folks in any way...

VorpalK
02.18.2012 , 10:06 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Nitewolfe View Post
Happens a lot on the ilum pve side for daily quest. After 5 pr 6 times aday i trained myself to never aoe and to turn pets aoe off! Yes Ilum has a pve side with pve dailies.
Now i am thrilled ill be able to aoe again while i do my pve quest!

Oh and i did find out that you can be flagged with out ever casting a heal or buf.
On my tank i had guard on a player and they flagged after i had guard on them and it flagged me. BW needs to look into making all effects drop fro ma player when they choose to pvp flag. The flagging was not my choice they over rode my choice by flagging themselves.
Yet another reason I don't PUG. If someone did this, I'd boot them from party immediately and recall to fleet.
CE Preorder VIP
PvE players on PVE servers should NEVER be forced into PvP through the actions of greifers. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=159167

zeuseason
02.18.2012 , 10:27 AM | #25
Yes I agree, I don't have a big problem with this but the PvP flag filters are way off kilter. Def needs a fix!
Elite Ultra Limited Standard Edition Pre-Order

Kourage
02.18.2012 , 11:12 AM | #26

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ — 1.1.4 Patch Notes

Classes and Combat

General
  • Using abilities with indirect targeting (such as area of effect abilities) will no longer cause players to be flagged for PvP if a PvP-flagged player from the opposing faction is within the ability's range, and the ability will have no effect on the PvP-flagged player.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

VorpalK
02.18.2012 , 11:17 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ — 1.1.4 Patch Notes

Classes and Combat

General
  • Using abilities with indirect targeting (such as area of effect abilities) will no longer cause players to be flagged for PvP if a PvP-flagged player from the opposing faction is within the ability's range, and the ability will have no effect on the PvP-flagged player.
Yes, we know.

There's a few unanswered questions regarding the problem (mentioned slightly up the thread a bit), but this is a good start.
CE Preorder VIP
PvE players on PVE servers should NEVER be forced into PvP through the actions of greifers. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=159167

Kourage
02.18.2012 , 12:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically!
The only thing they didn't address is this. Now I would hope AoE heals would only heal group members or at least non flagged players if the healer is not flagged.

** Kolto Missile will heal non grouped flagged players, and flag you.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Scorus
02.20.2012 , 01:51 PM | #29
But does this change fix the scenario that has been most reported:

A stealthed and flagged enemy player positions themselves in the midddle of a group of NPCs before you (a PvE'r on a PvE server) hit them with an AoE. The damage to the stealthed player flags you and the combination of the now unstealthed player and the NPCs take you down easily.

Since the AoE does affect the stealthed player, whether I want it to or not, won't I still be flagged and slagged?

Scorus

Saurakk
02.20.2012 , 02:19 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorus View Post
But does this change fix the scenario that has been most reported:

A stealthed and flagged enemy player positions themselves in the midddle of a group of NPCs before you (a PvE'r on a PvE server) hit them with an AoE. The damage to the stealthed player flags you and the combination of the now unstealthed player and the NPCs take you down easily.

Since the AoE does affect the stealthed player, whether I want it to or not, won't I still be flagged and slagged?

Scorus
Maybe I am missing your confusion here but it says the AOE will not flag you and will not affect the flagged player.

So it will NOT affect them...I am not sure what you mean by "Since the AoE does affect the stealthed player..."

It says the change will make it so it will not affect them if I am reading it right.