Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it really viable to try to resettle Taris?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is it really viable to try to resettle Taris?

viewtifuldee
02.17.2012 , 10:38 AM | #1
So, most of the quests on Taris dealt with attempting to resettle the planet, but with the rakghouls, nexu, and other mutated wildlife, it just seems a nut...pointless. Should the Republic just consider Taris a lost cause and use the money for, say, the war against the Empire?

I think they should. I mean, it's been 300 years and progress has been minimal.
█╬╬╬╬╬╬█|{ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Cythereal
02.17.2012 , 10:40 AM | #2
No. Especially not after the Empire breaks the Republic's back on the planet, razes Olaris, and forces the settlers to flee.
"That which furthers our purpose is authorized." - Imperial Intelligence, Field Operations Division motto

viewtifuldee
02.17.2012 , 10:53 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Cythereal View Post
No. Especially not after the Empire breaks the Republic's back on the planet, razes Olaris, and forces the settlers to flee.
Wow. I really was hoping to avoid any major spoilers. I'm gonna go bash that from my memory now.
█╬╬╬╬╬╬█|{ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

JLazarillo
02.17.2012 , 11:42 AM | #4
I've only played Empire-side Taris so far, but I was generally under the impression that the whole point of the Republic trying to resettle the planet was based around the fact that it hadn't been done, and that it "couldn't" be done. It's a political move, designed around the idea that anything can be done by people willing to work hard enough for it without losing hope.

mattchanner
02.17.2012 , 12:21 PM | #5
It was not an economic move. rebuilding taris was an attempt to boost republic moral.
U MAD? Let go of your Anger.
Look I made a Dumb fan video too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USRec...el_video_title

Tuscad
02.17.2012 , 12:26 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by mattchanner View Post
It was not an economic move. rebuilding taris was an attempt to boost republic moral.
They could have just focused on Telos. One of the scavenging missions mentions that Telos IV's restoration project is still underway. Lol.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Dayfax
02.17.2012 , 12:37 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by viewtifuldee View Post
I think they should. I mean, it's been 300 years and progress has been minimal.
Republic side, one of the title cards or quest texts said they'd only been there for 10 years. So basically, this is a post-war effort.

I was surprised they let it rot for that long.
"Sounds like you could use a soldier."

Luckmann
02.17.2012 , 12:55 PM | #8
The entire Taris thing is beyond ridiculous.

I'm trying very hard to just ignore it, because it makes little to no sense.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

Kedan
02.17.2012 , 01:09 PM | #9
The Rakghoul issue alone makes Taris impossible to recolonize. The moment they realized the planet was populated with billions of feral monsters who only needed to scratch you to turn you into one, they should have pulled back into orbit and glassed the planet.

Why the planet isn't quarantined, with a fleet stationed to destroy any ship trying to leave, is beyond my comprehension.

Felbear
02.17.2012 , 01:36 PM | #10
Eventually Taris is rebuilt and settled.