Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Agent voice accent inconsistenties

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Agent voice accent inconsistenties

Arrys's Avatar


Arrys
02.17.2012 , 03:41 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
That's what hitting the esc bar to reset the conversation if you're being distracted is for
I seem to recall the accent comment is ending dialogue i.e. a comment in parting.

Laverinth's Avatar


Laverinth
02.18.2012 , 12:54 PM | #12
The problem I have with this is that it's not consistent. If he/she is supposed to be undercover somewhere, then he/she should drop the accent while in THAT ENTIRE AREA in order not to have that cover blown. It doesn't make sense to lose it for things in the main storyline, then walk up to a random quest giver two feet away and pick the accent back up again. That's not covering your tracks very well.

je-s-ter's Avatar


je-s-ter
02.18.2012 , 01:22 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Laverinth View Post
The problem I have with this is that it's not consistent. If he/she is supposed to be undercover somewhere, then he/she should drop the accent while in THAT ENTIRE AREA in order not to have that cover blown. It doesn't make sense to lose it for things in the main storyline, then walk up to a random quest giver two feet away and pick the accent back up again. That's not covering your tracks very well.
The side quests are the same for all classes, you are not undercover to kill 10 bears for this lady on the street.

Poplik's Avatar


Poplik
02.18.2012 , 04:51 PM | #14
I have to say I absolutely loved this when I noticed it.

Adwynyth's Avatar


Adwynyth
02.19.2012 , 12:59 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by je-s-ter View Post
The side quests are the same for all classes, you are not undercover to kill 10 bears for this lady on the street.
Yes you are! THOSE BEARS ARE A THREAT!

Laverinth's Avatar


Laverinth
02.19.2012 , 04:28 PM | #16
Yes the quests are the same, but the game should recognize that you're on the mission is all. I guess it's a bit much and I understand why they didn't do it, but in theory one of the people from your main quest could speak to someone on a side quest and they'd wonder about the difference in accent.

It's a minor peeve.

Tahapenes's Avatar


Tahapenes
02.19.2012 , 05:28 PM | #17
The female agent drops the accent any time she's dealing with someone from the republic unless it is in the best interests of the mission to use her normal accent (see the mining colony at the start of Act 3). Case in point, when doing Foundary, if you're choosen to speak to the controller of the Foundary when your ship arrives, the agent drops the accent when she gives information that they were delayed due to an imperial patrol.

Deviltreh's Avatar


Deviltreh
02.19.2012 , 06:34 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Laverinth View Post
Yes the quests are the same, but the game should recognize that you're on the mission is all. I guess it's a bit much and I understand why they didn't do it, but in theory one of the people from your main quest could speak to someone on a side quest and they'd wonder about the difference in accent.

It's a minor peeve.
Yes SWTOR perfectly ilustrates why we have such primitave games now. You know this picture: FPS map design in 1993 and in 2010 http://i.imgur.com/BITmX.jpg

Same with SWTOR - three or four choices?? When I was a kid, I played RPGs with atleast (atleast!) ten choices for every conversation. Because writing doesn't consume so much money compared to voice acting. L.A. Noire - text based detective quests had so so SO much more details to investigate. Again - doing fancy face recording takes a lot of money and time. Same with FPSes - big explorable maps now take a lot of resources to create - so many different textures, sounds, etc...

Games are now primitive, but atleast they look nice!

That's why a lot of people think that PlayStation 2 era was the gold age of gaming - graphics were pretty decent, but they still didn't cost milions to make, so there were a lot more in games...

A little OT.
The bravery of being out of range...

Smash now does 100% damage to targeted enemy and 33% damage to all other enemies. <- there, I fixed Smash, how hard it is?..

Jaidan's Avatar


Jaidan
02.20.2012 , 02:55 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Deviltreh View Post
Yes SWTOR perfectly ilustrates why we have such primitave games now. You know this picture: FPS map design in 1993 and in 2010 http://i.imgur.com/BITmX.jpg

Same with SWTOR - three or four choices?? When I was a kid, I played RPGs with atleast (atleast!) ten choices for every conversation. Because writing doesn't consume so much money compared to voice acting. L.A. Noire - text based detective quests had so so SO much more details to investigate. Again - doing fancy face recording takes a lot of money and time. Same with FPSes - big explorable maps now take a lot of resources to create - so many different textures, sounds, etc...

Games are now primitive, but atleast they look nice!

That's why a lot of people think that PlayStation 2 era was the gold age of gaming - graphics were pretty decent, but they still didn't cost milions to make, so there were a lot more in games...

A little OT.
id like to see something corroborating your assertion that the ps2 era was the "golden age" of gaming...

because i gotta be honest... original nes (FF1, zelda, contra, etc) and pc gaming (mechwarrior, SC, baldur's gate, quake, fallout, etc) in the mid/late 90's is generally held up as the best times for gaming among the folks i know.

here's the thing... old-school rpgs like baldur's gate (one of the best rpgs, but that's only a personal opinion) have fallen out of favor because the cinematic games we have nowadays place the player in the game more effectively by removing alot of the extraneous BS that everyone but the most hardcore gamer really didn't give two ***** about.

can't say i mind it... baldur's gate was once my favorite rpg franchise. however, ive since given that spot to mass effect... simply because i don't have to spend an hour categorizing each individual piece of equipment in some sort of quasi-meta game spreadsheet, just so that the next fight isn't quite as painful as slamming my junk in a sliding glass door.

dumbing things down isn't always a bad thing... there's a limit to how much to dumb it down, but i still prefer my games be an escapist past time... i do enough spreadsheets and data analysis at work, i don't want to do it in my games.

tldr: old school rpgs and fps were fun... but the games today are more fun because they've cut out most of the extra crap that destroyed the sense of immersion/escape.