Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How George Lucas May Erase Star Wars "Original Trilogy" from canon

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How George Lucas May Erase Star Wars "Original Trilogy" from canon

MajinEddie
02.17.2012 , 07:57 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JDTC View Post
i hope he does

then he can finally set the precedent that nothing in star wars matters, there is no such thing as canon, and his fanboys can quietly take their leave.
Bravo =)

Toonimator
02.17.2012 , 08:13 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Arumat View Post
Source: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...138583519.html

Rumors are rumors, but for some reason I wouldn't put this past him.

Discuss.
This rumor is weeks old. It's appeared in several threads already here.

And it's completely fake. I think someone thought it'd be fun (given all of George's changes for the Blu-Rays and potential changes in the upcoming 3D films, and the indefinite hold placed on the live action series) to put forward a rumor that the live action series will do to Star Wars what JJ Abrams' Star Trek did to THAT particular IP: reboot it in an alternate reality.

This has 'fan trolling' written all over it. There's lots of vocal backlash over the Prequels (epitomized by the popularity of the Plinkett reviews over the last couple years); there's a lot of vocal backlash over George altering the Original Trilogy to 'fit' better with the Prequels, rather than crafting the prequels to fit seamlessly into the originals, and backlash over his justification that he's fulfilling his 'original vision' which goes back to 1997's Special Editions and crap like Greedo shooting first. AND a lot of people keep asking for the unaltered original trilogy films properly released on Blu-Ray or DVD to fit all our fancy new TVs.

Wouldn't take much for a bored guy to spin a 'what if they remade Star Wars like Abrams' Trek?' discussion among friends into a rumor that the TV series is gonna do just that: introduce time travel (a concept barely ever used in Star Wars, and usually--far as I know--only performed by Force-users), and that the travelers' intend to rewrite history, completing the alteration to the original trilogy by negating it outright, and riling up the fan base with that idea.

It's a rumor, and most likely completely false. Yes, George could wind up THAT crazy, and it'd still make sense for him because rewriting the originals means he--or his handpicked successors--could remake Episodes IV-VI to mesh perfectly with the PT and use a fresh new cast and maybe new characters and use all the concepts he changed his mind about in the years between '83 and '97. And it'd bring in tons of money in new ticket sales, Blu-Ray sales, merchandise... because even if the riled-up fan base abandoned ship, the general public will still go out in droves to check them out.

Raynn
02.17.2012 , 08:23 PM | #13
Depends on the amount of money he could make of it. But seriously, if he hasn't alrdy thought of this stop giving him ideas. He's getting senile enough to just try this.

RagnarokJC
02.17.2012 , 08:40 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Raynn View Post
Depends on the amount of money he could make of it. But seriously, if he hasn't alrdy thought of this stop giving him ideas. He's getting senile enough to just try this.
Lucas was out of touch with reality long before senility started to become any sort of factor.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

Darth_Malevolent
02.17.2012 , 08:55 PM | #15
Lucas had admitted that he wasn't a very good writer or director in interviews..... why he went ahead and directed the prequels? To prove something to everyone that he could do as good of a job as Irvin Kershner did in Empire Strikes Back or Spielberg did for Indiana Jones. Everyone says Star Wars was saved in editing and even the documentary says the first cut of Star Wars was a disaster... With all these criticisms I think he had something to prove with the prequels.

With constantly changing the canon, I think that's to get back at us, he knows what he's doing gets to us as shown in this photo of him wearing a t-shirt that say's "Solo Shot First"

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...q409o1_500.jpg

Between us saying the prequels were crap, never accepting Jar Jar Binks- a character he obviously put a lot of emphasis on since he placed him in all 3 movies and an integral part in ROTS. Everything he's doing now, I honestly think it's to get back at us subtly.

Think about it this way, Lucas "So you don't like the no at the End of ROTS huh? Boom! Now he says it at the end of ROTJ, Say Something ELSE!!! Hated Jar Jar Binks? Boom! Ewoks can blink, SAY SOMETHING ELSE!!!" lol
The Dark Side is Omnipotent in this one

DragonAgeOrgins
02.17.2012 , 09:11 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Malevolent View Post
Lucas had admitted that he wasn't a very good writer or director in interviews..... why he went ahead and directed the prequels? To prove something to everyone that he could do as good of a job as Irvin Kershner did in Empire Strikes Back or Spielberg did for Indiana Jones. Everyone says Star Wars was saved in editing and even the documentary says the first cut of Star Wars was a disaster... With all these criticisms I think he had something to prove with the prequels.

With constantly changing the canon, I think that's to get back at us, he knows what he's doing gets to us as shown in this photo of him wearing a t-shirt that say's "Solo Shot First"

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...q409o1_500.jpg

Between us saying the prequels were crap, never accepting Jar Jar Binks- a character he obviously put a lot of emphasis on since he placed him in all 3 movies and an integral part in ROTS. Everything he's doing now, I honestly think it's to get back at us subtly.

Think about it this way, Lucas "So you don't like the no at the End of ROTS huh? Boom! Now he says it at the end of ROTJ, Say Something ELSE!!! Hated Jar Jar Binks? Boom! Ewoks can blink, SAY SOMETHING ELSE!!!" lol
I think you are correct. When he made the first series. The media was heavily on him as they are now. Times have changed since he made his massive hits. The news media for one asks alot more questions, and information get's shared very quickly.

I think when he changed the first series, the wave of negative back attack hit him hard. So hard he said he would quit hollywood. Now that's he's an aging person maybe he want's Star Wars to die with him. Wouldn't it be werid after all this time, if he just "erased" star wars.

That would make almost every people have bought from the series, without meaning. If there was no darth vadar, then thing's wouldn't have turned out. Sucks a person can actually take a series people enjoy. And kill it if he want's to. What about everyone invested money into his films, cups, etc and a star wars fan.

No more Darth Vadar? it's so strange he would do this. I think it's a complete lie. He needs the saga to keep everyone star wars related alive from cartoons, to TV shows to ..MMO's. It could go either way.

Degarmo
02.17.2012 , 09:16 PM | #17
The scripts for Episodes 1, 2 and 3 were terrible. If he wants to erase something from his universe, start with midichlorians and work your way through until you get a cohesive plot that makes some sense.

Those other three, the good ones (New Hope, Empire and Jedi) leave those alone. If he had started with Phantom Menace instead of New Hope, no one would care, and no one would have wanted to see Send in the Clones.

That said, it's all just a rumor anyway as was clearly delineated in posts above mine, but I don't put anything past Lucas nowadays.
The Last - A gaming guild of old codgers.
www.thelastguild.com
RIP

Ghep
02.17.2012 , 10:12 PM | #18
For the people saying, "I wouldn't put it past him!" Get off your high horses. You people are what's ruining Star Wars. There could be more if it wasn't for you, but alas we who enjoy them are forced to suffer. So that you can feel like you have a higher taste. -_- Thanks....

Darth_Malevolent
02.17.2012 , 10:38 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghep View Post
For the people saying, "I wouldn't put it past him!" Get off your high horses. You people are what's ruining Star Wars. There could be more if it wasn't for you, but alas we who enjoy them are forced to suffer. So that you can feel like you have a higher taste. -_- Thanks....
Who's on their high horse? Us or You? Im confused... the way your speaking makes me think your saying what we say as crap isn't actually crap and it isn't because of a horrible writer and director ruining Star Wars, it's us? And "You" are one of the few who can appreciate the slock he throws out there to make merchandise off of? But anyways, if JJ Abrams was the director of the prequels, they would have been great, I assure you
The Dark Side is Omnipotent in this one

RagnarokJC
02.17.2012 , 10:41 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghep View Post
If you think that the PT films are good films, then we do indeed have a higher taste than you. Thanks.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff