Workaround for Bioware's terrible normal mode loot system

Bioware is usually full of good ideas, but not when it comes to normal mode loot distribution. Giving geared players the same tokens they've already cashed in (sometimes multiple times) over people in need of the same items is poor design. But there is a way around that. If you're in a guild run and want to make sure that someone who shares your class token will get it (And you already have it), just die and release right before the boss is killed. You're locked out of loot thanks to that poor design, but your guildmate(s) will be in the pool for the token in question. You're welcome, America.

Pretty easy to do on a number of bosses:

EV XXR-3: Don't heal and don't LOS the class that already has the drops

EV Gharj: Stand in lava

EV Ancient Pylons: Tough one, have to aggro the Acklay just before the solve

EV Council: Sooo easy to die by helping someone else

EV Soa: Run into lightning ball

K - Bonecrusher: Run off the platform into the acid

K- Jarg and Sorno: Stand in AoE

K- Foreman: Grab an Add and eat it

K- G4-B3: 3-2-1 stand in the blast

K- Karagga: Stand in fire

Not always ideal and sometimes delicate timing, but it can be done if you want your guildies to get gear you already have.

Edited by VulcanLogic

Interesting. Now does anyone have a confirmed answer whether the loot is designated to characters when the mob dies, or when the corpse/chest is opened? If it's opened, it would be simple to just have the people with the gear zone out before you loot. If it's on death, I like the /stuck at 1% method, should be pretty easy to execute.

Bioware is usually full of good ideas, but not when it comes to normal mode loot distribution. Giving geared players the same tokens they've already cashed in (sometimes multiple times) over people in need of the same items is poor design. But there is a way around that. If you're in a guild run and want to make sure that someone who shares your class token will get it (And you already have it), just die and release right before the boss is killed. You're locked out of loot thanks to that poor design, but your guildmate(s) will be in the pool for the token in question. You're welcome, America.

Its not poor design its a choice the community made during the beta.

got something to support that statement? I don't remmember coding during beta. How much of beta feedback actually made into the client, not much other than some fluff if my memory is working

Normal mode gives so much loot for so little effort (at least in EV...and Karaggas starting next patch i guess), that if you could assign it freely, they'd seriously have to cut the loot in half.

Normal EV can be done in under an hour, and you get 20 shots at gear.

When people are geared up enough that duplicates are becoming a problem, you're ready to do hard mode. Even if you still have greens in your party, you can still do it just fine. At worse just skip Soa.

It would seriously be crazy if something so easy that gave that much loot also let you assign it to whoever you wanted.

The poor design part is that it will usually give the same people with gear, more gear over and over again, while others with no gear get the shaft. If the pre-destined loot checked who had what gear, this system would be completely acceptable.

As to the "Just do Hardmodes" I'd like you to attempt these in 49 blues and daily purples (Level50) and not hit enrage timers on every fight. You need the gear for those, which is why you run Normals in the first place.

The poor design part is that it will usually give the same people with gear, more gear over and over again, while others with no gear get the shaft. If the pre-destined loot checked who had what gear, this system would be completely acceptable.

As to the "Just do Hardmodes" I'd like you to attempt these in 49 blues and daily purples (Level50) and not hit enrage timers on every fight. You need the gear for those, which is why you run Normals in the first place.

This is quite true in my experience. Its not a matter of skills, its a matter of hitting enrage timers because there's only so much dps you can pump out in blues.

do hardmodes :> they are quite as easy as normal but better loot & no game destined loot s*** :o

but interesting nonetheless

Well, yes, obviously. But we had some guys from our WoW guild just start playing, just hit 50, so we thought we'd carry them through the normal first, get em some gear, and then do the hard mode same week. Cept they got no gear, because it assigned the gear to us instead.