Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Damage-dealing
Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

frostlionLDN
03.15.2012 , 12:31 PM | #61
I honestly rolled my Merc with the intention of being a healer or a hybrid healer/dps. I've just always enjoyed healing.

As the game went on we had enough heals that my hybrid or any heal spec became pointless. Generally I don't play DPS, but once I went 31 points in a DPS tree I was hooked. I've now found the fine art of healing my team not through heals, but through smashing the face in of whoever is attacking them.

CaptainKardel
03.19.2012 , 09:09 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Stone View Post
Healers and tanks dont really need to reply. So, for those of you playing dps classes, why? I have a level 50 sage healer and 33 vanguard tank that I've mostly soloed. Companions help out quite a bit, and I'm curious as to why there are not more tanks and healers when the companion system makes them easier to level than in other MMO's.

Not putting anyone on the spot, I dont want any flaming. I am merely curious, as there is probably an issue somewhere that BW can resolve to make our game balanced, and easier to find groups.

So, whats keeping you guys from running tank or heals?
I've been playing MMORPGs for 7 years and have played healers, nukers, CCers, tanks, and DDs. Honestly I find a DPS DD most natural.

DPS classes tend to be engaging in PvE, hit hard enough to easily solo most quests or even heroics and such with no problems, and since combat ends so quickly, you can level up quickly. But mainly a DD class that hits hard and can stealth (usually assassins in most MMOs) tend to be the best (or one of the best) solo classes, and are overpoweringly fun to play in PvP.

There's also a lot of difficulty playing a DD, which adds a challenge and more fun. In groups, you have to be capable of maximizing your DPS output while simultaneously hitting just low enough to not draw aggro and get your group wiped. There's also the fact that most groups, whether they want to admit it or not, need DPS players or battles will take forever, sometimes literally. We're damage dealers for a reason: We deal the damage and make sure the mission/heroic/instance is completed. I'm not saying we're more needed than tanks or healers; they're all equal. But a healer's job is to keep the tank alive, a tank's job is to keep aggro off of the DD, and a DD/DPS's job is to beat the instance; there are also support roles, but they're really just there to make the instance easier. There's a lot of pressure to be a good DD, so it's just as challenging as other classes in an instance.

So basically:

DD's tend to level very fast
DD's tend to be very good in 1 vs 1-2 PvP
DD's are easily capable of soloing most mobs, bosses, and instances (maybe not from the start)
DD's hit insanely fast if DPS specced
DD's are one of the most important and needed roles in an instance, being almost solely responsible for defeating mobs and bosses

Dulwaithe
03.20.2012 , 04:41 PM | #63
For me, at least in pve, I find maximizing my dps to be more challenging than tanking or healing. If you're tanking and stay alive and held aggro, then you can feel pretty good. If no one died and you're healing, the same. If I'm dps'ing I always wonder whether I could of eked out a bit more damage.
If there's one thing I'm known for, it's daring rescues. That, and impeccable timing. Snappy comebacks are a close third...

Commderben
05.20.2012 , 07:16 PM | #64
for me dps is easier for me and its more of my style ill be tank or dps but i love the scoundrel a lot and hes my dirtyfighting scoundrel idc about the responsiblty i m just not meant to be a healer maybe a tank but mostly dps in most cases
you:your stealthy like a ninja you say
Me" Because i am a ninja throws smoke dissapears

MayorOfAngrytown
05.22.2012 , 08:23 AM | #65
At the risk of sounding mono-dimensional, I pretty much exclusively DPS in the rather few MMOs I've given more than just a cursory look. I have support alts, but my usuall thing with a game is to fiddle around with options, find the DPS I like best, then obsess over it.

It's mostly for the catharsis. Spending some time smashing faces in game after a long commute in crappy traffic is just what I need to wind down.

Having said that, I also find it just more fun than rolling my support alts. I do love a good CC toon from time to time, but I never quite got the hang of healing so I tend to avoid those so I don't screw up teams by being a tardhealer. Tanking I find interesting, but more as a mentality than a class. I guess I'd rather just lay waste to my enemies in a nice, straight-forward, my weapon -> your face kinda way.

Frog_brains
06.04.2012 , 11:28 AM | #66
Firstly my main is a shadow tank, with a hybrid skill tree, i didn't do all the stealth skills,and added to my dps instead. He's at 50 and progressing well through endgame.

I"m also an altaholic, so I rolled a healer (sawbones), a ranged DPS (actually 2 a sorc on the imp side and a mando rep) and a Melee DPS Sentinal (couldn't say no to, two lightsticks

I've been leveling my alts simultaneously, basically I'll level 1 until i finish the homeworld and do some of the early level FP's get them to about lvl 20/21 then do the same with the next and the next.

I love my tank, and tank well, but i'm really starting to get into the sweet science of DPS, and DD. and i think the appreciation is coming from the fact that i'm lvling 3 DD classes pretty much at the same time. I like the variation from playing even different forms of DD.

My sorc and my mando play completely differently even though they are both ranged dps, and then of course my sentinal plays completely differently than my other 2 dps toons.

For me the appeal now is to find out how to play each DD character to the max of their ability, That's why i'm rolling with the DPS Now. I also want to prove by playing multiple DPS classes and lvling them together that one isn't superior to the other. That it comes down to how you play, equip, and spec your character that has the biggest effect on dps not the character

AshlaBoga
06.15.2012 , 08:21 AM | #67
My main was a hybrid while leveling, focused on Madness-Corruption. When I got to endgame the Hybrid spec was less viable for Operations - a hybrid healer is less useful to a group that already has 4 good dps.

So I switched to healing during April, May and part of June.

Then recently with the whole Ajunta Pall --> Jung Ma I ended up joining a guild that didn't get broken by the transferss. They had a solid healer core and solid tanks so I ended up switching to dps.

So I guess the answer would be: Because I'm a Team Player.

P.S: There's no "I" in team.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

NyanC
06.27.2012 , 09:15 PM | #68
I've noticed that all classes still have damage as their primary thing, even the tanks and healers. I mean, what Powertech just jumps in front of bullets the entire time, even though he/she's a tank. A Commando doesnt just keep healing allies, he attacks too. An operative doesnt just.... the list goes on and on.

Helig
06.27.2012 , 10:18 PM | #69
Damage-dealing classes are fastest to solo with in all aspects of the game. I levelled a tank and a healer from 10 to 50, and companions or no, DD is the fastest and most convenient.

In my opinion, playing support specs makes sense only if you have a reliable in-game community (otherwise you're thanklessly gimping yourself), or it serves your purpose (flashpoints\raids), if you really, really like it, or all of the above.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

shadysaxplayer
07.12.2012 , 11:21 AM | #70
Because pvp healing is annoying. Also I like to kill things