Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

PanikSpreder
02.27.2012 , 07:45 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaphik View Post
Some people enjoy the responibility of being really good DPS. Making sure you are doing as much damage as possible without pulling aggro, hitting your interrupts every time needed, not attacking CC'd targets, CCing targets if you can, and keeping yourself alive and easier to heal by using your own abilities and awareness.
Precisly this. I enjoy playing a DPS spec'ed character due to making it easier on the tanks/healers by doing those "extra" things other DPS'ers might not.

A bad tank/healer might break a group, but a bad DPS might break the spirit of the other players. I'd rather be playing the ones that will surprise people in a positive way rather then always having to be flawless when tanking/healing due to other peoples "demands".

Qonor
02.29.2012 , 01:48 PM | #52
Before WoW, I always played single-player RPGs as a thief. I wanted a return to that, hence the assassin. I was a tank and healer in WoW for five years and miss it a bunch though.
Marqus Deception Assassin
Maelstrom Empire Guild
Jedi Covenant PvE East Server

StewyG
02.29.2012 , 11:07 PM | #53
I have a variety of different roled chars. I like all of the roles and switch between them all the time. Currently i am playing a gunslinger and so far has been the most OP class cuz of a tank companion and my crazy dps. I prefer dps for pve and for pvp but for operations and hardmodes i like healing and tanking. Holding the responsibility of healing or not letting the healer or dpsers get targetted makes it more fun unless your group is a bunch of complete gamers that have a bunch of rules for how you tank or heal or do this or that. Its fun when your group relaxes about how you play unless of course you are causing the group to die every other mob.

LuBearr
03.01.2012 , 01:56 PM | #54
I used to always play as a tank in other mmos... got jealous of the guys sitting in the back getting ridiculous crits. I now have an assassin dps and vanguard off-tank. I think prefer them more because I personally feel that it takes a little more engagement to really play it well.

xGBox
03.01.2012 , 02:11 PM | #55
DPS, in my opinion, is the easiest role out of them all. All you have to do is press a few buttons, dodge a few things, and have complete faith that the tanks and healers will keep you alive. That's it.

IronFirewind
03.04.2012 , 05:04 AM | #56
Because playing a healer in PvP is the most thankless and soul crushing thing you will ever perform in your life where everything you do is wrong no matter how good you are or how hard you try.

This is coming from someone who used to work a a chef.
Lilisetté - Assassin | The Progenitor EU (RP)

hadoken
03.05.2012 , 03:00 PM | #57
I've been playing support roles for close to 15 years now.

These days I'm more interested in slicing things apart...with a lightsaber (or two).

Ulmius
03.07.2012 , 10:35 PM | #58
I used to always play a tank. It's what I did. In wow after tanking for a few years on different tanks I was growing bored. I liked being the tank and pretty much the leader of any group, but I was starting to get bored and wasn't sure why. After completing raids I realized it was the same thing... Tank things, use my cds, etc, but after completing the same raids over and over again, I was missing something. After talking a buddy of mine I realized what it was. Lack of competition to keep things fresh. He was telling me the thrill of always being able to compete with others when it came to dps. It sounded fun so I wanted to try it out and rolled an elemental shaman after completing bastion of twilight during cata.

I leveled up my new shaman and was lucky enough to be in the same raid because one of the dps wanted to switch to his tank so we essentially switched roles. I have to admit, at first it was a bit daunting being outdone by the others in the group. But after getting some gear, I started to compete with them and soon after when I had equivalent gear, I was beating them. I was hooked, competing for top dps was fun and breathed life into the game. I continued to play till dragon soul came out and completed it while continuing to be top dps and to be honest, it never grew old. Competing with others in the raid group for top dps is just fun to me. Especially when you've completed the same raid over and over again, it gives you something to shoot for every week. My roommate wanted to make the switch to this game so I went with him.

On this game I made a sniper because I enjoy dps. While fun... I have to admit, it's not nearly as fun as it was in wow. It's not because wow was better, but it's because I don't have that sense of competition that I once had. I'm finding myself completing the operations on hard mode and I'm having that same feeling I had on my tank. It's just becoming stale after beating the same raids over and over again with nothing being new, it's the same thing every week. I know people don't like damage meters for their own reasons, but I have to say that for me, it makes being a dps feel stale when you don't have them. Yes, I kill my mob first on the council fight so I know on that fight I'm top dps, but it's that one fight. That is literally the only fight where I get that thrill of competition and that feeling of excitement when I raid. All the other fights are like, eh - whatever, let's just kill it so we can move on and log out.

So basically, the one reason I play dps is something I can't experience in this game at the time. In the future I'll be able to see it with that parse they are releasing but it'll be a pain having to upload my log somewhere along with the other dps to compare our data. I don't even know if I'll still be dpsing by then anyway. But whatever, we'll see.

Thankyjack
03.09.2012 , 11:44 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Azumio View Post
I find my DPS (Sent) a lot more fun to play than either my Sage/Scoundrel or Vanguard.

It's a lot harder, though in most cases.
More fun would be my answer as well.

psi_overtake
03.14.2012 , 02:37 PM | #60
My friends in our guild had just about every AC except 1-2. One of them was Sniper (Gunslinger), so I went with that. Luck of the draw =P
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!