Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

KMad
02.17.2012 , 11:01 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by JeremyDale View Post
I for one would love to see more people play tanks.

Trying to find a tank on this game is like searching for the Holy Grail. It's impossible sometimes. But to be fair this is a problem on almost every MMORPG I've played.

It's nice to see future MMORPGs like Guild Wars 2 moving away from this old and very flawed system of making groups overly-dependent on certain specs. So I hope that's a trend that continues and replaces this current model. I'm sick of having to spend hours finding a tank everytime I want to run something.
I think you'll see more tanks when dual-spec comes in. End-game raids only need 1 tank for 8 or even 16 people. So it doesn't add up when the leveling content (and even level 50 hard-modes) need 4 tanks for every 16 people, yet that's how the game is designed. Dual-spec would make issue disappear. For now, you end up with too many tanks sitting around with nothing to do, or bosses that won't die since you can't beat enrage timers with tanks trying to dps, or people having to respec all the time, etc.

The people that don't like to tank at all still won't play tanks, but the people that would tank, but know they won't be needed at endgame so aren't tanking along the way, will pick up a tank spec then. I know I plan to on my currently-dps-spec'd Juggernaut (who is, admittedly, only an alt).

Revan-the-knight
02.17.2012 , 11:08 AM | #42
The other CLasses have their own charm, but the Sith Warrior Marauder just Roflstomps them all when it comes to Challenge and Enjoyment, Challenging Combat, which makes the Kills all that more Satisfactory, at Huttball when i use Frenzy and Predation to give my team an extra speed boost to get to the ball, in Alderaan when i use my Deadly Throw to lower the healing output on the enemy tank, and taking him down with Smash after using Force Crush, and on Voidstar when i use my ForcE Camoflague to stealth my way over to the unprotected door and plant the bombs, really it cant be topped in my opnion

ScumNVillawut
02.17.2012 , 11:35 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Exilim View Post
I actually switched from guardian to my gunslinger because I felt they were underrepresented and I like to excel with underrepresented classes. It didn't have anything to do with pure dps, though it's a role I've come to accept as it brings a different set of challenges.

It's fun though, that's what keeps me from going back. When I am top damage after a Huttball and the next closest is 100k behind me it keeps me from going back. Halfway through a PvP match when 4 people begin to go after me as a primary target, well, that's the warm fuzzies.
This here. I play dps because I PvP often, and I visibly notice the psychological effects that a GS can put on a group of melee tanks/dps. If your class can do enough damage to make four guys actually think that it's a better investment to kill you than to kill the ball carrier? Yeah, I dare anyone to tell me I'm "support."
"Yeah, 'cause like, if you think about it? When Han shot first? It's like... we all shot first right there with him. Because f*ck Greedo, that silly Rodian."

erei
02.18.2012 , 10:15 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Stone View Post
and I'm curious as to why there are not more tanks and healers when the companion system makes them easier to level than in other MMO's.
I tend to disagree, and I will explain my opinion. First, I have both a full tank shadow and full dps commando, both 50.
The AI for DPS companion made me rage many times. They ALWAYS target the untanked mob, even switching target when you take the aggro from them. Then, they focus the highest HP mob first, and weak after (they even make an exception about the rule above, just to annoy you). And finally, they have about the same DPS than my tank (tested with both Nadia and zenith, both with blue-purple gear, same quality than mine).
Overall, it makes soloing longer.

Back to topic, why do I have a DPS as a main ?
First, it may sound childish, but I do love to burn mobs/people quickly. And don't care about my life. I absolutely love glass cannon, and/or big guns. I'm also quite subject to go berserk, things I can't do well as a healer/tank. I blame my genetic heritage for this.
And finally, soloing is faster.
About SW:TOR, I do love big guns. Minigun and flamethrower being my favorite. The commando was a sweet call I couldn't resist (even if I'm disappointed the assault cannon looks like a pipe instead of a minigun).
I still enjoy being a healer from time to time, but honestly, I always think healing is more brainless than people use to say, more than a DPS (maybe because I'm far more skilled as dps than healer^^). Strat ? Don't care I just heal and avoid AoE. Interupt ? Too busy to save your ***, DPS do the job. Aggro ? Don't care, I can't manage it, and tank is doing it for me. And I'm still the most loved one of the team, just because they are still alive.

Tank is my less played class. Even if I do have one. Mostly because of lower DPS, and too much responsibility. No excuses like "sorry can't heal I was laggy/interupt/need to move/shut up or do without heal". You messed your tanking, everyone see it.

FobManX
02.18.2012 , 11:20 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
With the tight enrage timers in this game if a DPS screws up and dies as a result, there's a good chance it will be a wipe. And since tanking groups of mobs isn't easy in this game, especially with Guardian/Juggernaut, the DPS have to pay attention to stray mobs, focus fire to quickly burn down the weakest ones etc.

There are responsibilities, even if many DPSers just ignore them...
Oh for sure, the GOOD DPS will play properly and put out good #s while also interrupting and not pulling aggro. But it's easier to skate by as bad DPS then it is as a bad tank or bad healer.

MichelvanMeerten
02.19.2012 , 03:06 AM | #46
I played a Rogue and a Warrior tank and a Paladin tank/healer in WoW. Now I play a Sage and do some nice relaxing dps from a distance.

bpcatt
02.23.2012 , 12:03 PM | #47
I don't know though that it was really my choice as much as is it was just a natural affinity. When I began playing MMO's, I wanted to be a tank. I liked the sound of it. I was pretty good at it from the standpoint my friends and I cleared current content without too much trouble.

However, after a while, I made a dps toon to break things up. It just so happened I was pretty good at it... or so I thought. When I finally went into a raid (operation in swtor), I actually got to see what I could do versus people I knew to be pretty good. I blew them out of the water. For whatever reason, dps just seems to click with me better.

Of course, I have mulitple characters and actually do still tank. I just have more fun as a dps assuming there are competitent tanks. When I can't find a competitent tank, I jump to the tank toon and go handle my business .

Mofotrey
02.24.2012 , 05:58 AM | #48
I was a tank my whole time in WoW, over five years, and though I loved tanking, I grew to hate the responsibility that came with it. "No, you can't hang out with friends tonight, how are we supposed to raid without our main tank?" "We really need you to help gear up these new players quick, can you tank a bunch of heroics for them?" etc. I like helping people, but I like helping people because I choose to help or offer to help. I also wound up leading a lot of raids because as an MT I always had studied fights in advance anyway and knew better than most how everyone needed to do things. I hate leading raids because then you're worrying about 24 people in addition to yourself.
Also, in PUG's, everything is always the tank's fault. "You didn't have enough health!" "You didn't pop enough cooldowns!" "Why didn't you call out that you lost a ton of health in a millisecond?" etc. If a pull goes badly, the tank should have picked everything up better, even if some dumb hunter auto-shot into a group of mobs while you were sending a tell.

With DPS classes you can sit back and enjoy doing what you're doing without worrying about everyone else as much or having as much riding on your shoulders. If a DPS misses a raid, you just get another one to take his or her place. I'm enjoying that a lot better so far.
Mitthrawnuruodo - 50 Mercenary - Prophecy of the Five
Abeloth - 19 Sith Sorcerer - Prophecy of the Five
Vestara'Khai - 5 Sith Warrior - Prophecy of the Five
Gnaos - 12 Guardian - Jedi Covenant

ProsaicProse
02.24.2012 , 06:23 AM | #49
I usually play DPS when I want minimal responsibility and have an urge to blow stuff up. I'm usually the type that has a lot of healers and tanks, and I've always found life less stressful and much easier to play in games as "just another DPS".

Aryslan
02.24.2012 , 06:42 AM | #50
I do find DPS classes to be funnier if done right.

Tanks usually have enough HP and mitigation skills to kill the mobs out of boredom.
Healers heal themselves until companion kills mob or mob itself dies of starvation.

DPS classes have that balance of kill fast but get killed fast too that makes me pay more attention to it and enjoy more.