Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone else finding the consular story...very dry?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Anyone else finding the consular story...very dry?

gumbology
02.17.2012 , 07:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by smartalectwo View Post
It's the Obi-Wan experience. You're in a story, but it's not centered on you, and it's not about you. You're in a story about war and change across a grand scale, and though you are someone who sees it happen first hand - and you are even an agent for that change - it's not your story so much as it is the story of the galaxy at large. You're just the man or woman on the spot, nothing special. If you didn't exist, then someone would have to do the things you do - but it's fallen to you to do them. It's not about destiny, but duty. So yeah, it's kinda dry.

Spoiler

I can certainly understand why folk would find the other stories more engaging, but I don't think the Consular storyline is without merit. It's just a bit different.
This.

Quote: Originally Posted by Shadenuat View Post
It's the Obi-Wan experience. You're in a story, but it's not centered on you, and it's not about you.

If a Knight story is a story of a Knight, Consular's is more like of a monk and a mediator.
Who would expect a "jedi consular" to be anything Other Than a diplomatic monk mediator type?

Did you all just spacebar through all the dialogue?

Are you all "those people" who refuse to pay attention to what is going on, or ever read a subtitle?

I think the real problem with the consular story, is that the people who seem so dissatisfied by it, are the ones who just have no clue what a jedi consular is supposed to be about, in the first place.

I think most of you must have rolled a consular because you heard it was OP, or you heard it was the one with the double-bladed lightsaber.

Excessive and unwarranted expectations and misconceptions strike the microwave generation, once again.
UmadSir?

AkilZodiac
02.17.2012 , 07:33 PM | #22
I tried playing through the Consular, I really did. I got to level 21 and just dropped it like a brick, and I find myself unable to pick it back up.

Whether it's the story and/or the male voice over that I find to be insufferable, I can't do it. I just can't.
DecemberCrew

We could pre-order in July? Whatever.

Jedikuonji
02.17.2012 , 07:33 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by gumbology View Post

I think the real problem with the consular story, is that the people who seem so dissatisfied by it, are the ones who just have no clue what a jedi consular is supposed to be about, in the first place.
And what exactly are they supposed to be about?

lcemaster
02.17.2012 , 08:02 PM | #24
I actually like the consular story. On Nar Shaada I thought there were funny parts

Spoiler

But I hate it ow Qyzen is just like, you are the herald, I will follow you. I wanted to scream, WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE????? All I did was kill a sith wanna be. Ooooh, I must be that good. You don't become a sacred idol just by doing something that millions of Jedi have done before me. What should have happen is that Qyzen sees that Yuon is ill and follows you so that you can get to the bottom of this.

Invictos
02.17.2012 , 09:37 PM | #25
My Sage is only level 35, and I haven't played any other classes, so I have no basis for comparison -- but FWIW, I've enjoyed the Consular story immensely, so far. A lot of the moments seemed pretty epic to me, even if it is ultimately a story about diplomacy:

Spoiler

YMMV, but despite the widespread criticism of the Consular story, I think at worst it's about as good as any solo-pve story content in other MMOs. It might be mediocre or even terrible when weighed against other class stories, but that doesn't mean it's bad as far as game stories go. Everything's relative, after all.

Zatoni
02.18.2012 , 03:24 AM | #26
I really enjoyed the Consular story. It picks up towards the end of act 1, and I found myself pleasantly surprised a few times that the rest of the supporting characters weren't carrying the idiot ball towards the ends of the mystery-solving bits, like I figured they would be.

I did really dislike that there wasn't a good snarky dialogue line for the voiceover, and you basically had to choose between stoic hero and haughty jerk, but what can you do. The class arc was definitely the best part of Corellia, which was totally forgettable to me after the first moment of being wowed on the way out of the space port.
Imagine how competitive Starcraft would look if the amount of hours a player logged in the game "earned" them free extra workers at the start of the game.
This is why structured PvP with stat creep will always be a joke.

grania
02.18.2012 , 07:00 AM | #27
Yes, I've admitted it before and will do so again. Perhaps if I were a bigger Star Wars fan I would have enjoyed the consular story. But as a person just wandering in to the genre after seeing the movies when I was a kid and then the prequels once when I was a young adult - the consular story was dreadfully dull to me.

I quit the character after level 30. After killing all the jedi I was supposed to be healing and getting nothing but a sigh from the council for it, I realized that there was nothing I could do to shake the story up to make it more interesting for myself.

I suppose it didn't help that I was duoing with someone playing a knight and he wasn't enjoying his story either (in the sense that he was feeling like Kira's companion and that the story started revolving around her, an npc, rather than the pc himself.)

As opposed to others though, I actually liked Theran Cedrax, regardless of how many times I stumbled over pronouncing his name x) He and his companion were refreshingly contradictory to the bulk of the consular experience.

I'm glad to know that others have had a similar experience with the story, and I'm glad a lot of people enjoyed it. It just wasn't my thing, no big. The only thing worrisome though, in my opinion, is that so far I haven't really enjoyed.. any of the Republic stories. But I'll stop right there, as this is a thread about the consular specifically.
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--
"Mama, I dies your character, sorree!"

KCWayne
04.28.2012 , 02:32 PM | #28
So i'm just starting out with consular and somehow my Jedi master has dissapeared. I'm only level five. The other thing that's happening is that anytime I go into the temple, the game glitches and I can hardly move around the place...any suggestions?

ToEasy
04.28.2012 , 02:38 PM | #29
Well the class is is a diplomatic/ healing story so if you are the one who doesn't like being a diplomat then it isn't for you. I think it is good and it fits the class.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Morlaak
04.28.2012 , 09:04 PM | #30
I've played with my consular up to level 28 so far and I feel satisfied with the story, save for Tatooine which was a bit uninspired story. I do agree with a poster above me, your companions don't appear to have any respectable reason as to why they keep following you to an almost certain death.

Certainly not better than the Smuggler story, though.