Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone else finding the consular story...very dry?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Anyone else finding the consular story...very dry?

spacepuppy
02.16.2012 , 04:12 PM | #1
I play as a duo with my partner, our first characters were a smuggler and trooper, which I mostly enjoyed. We ended up trying Jedi and I went consular. I had heard the consular story wasn't that great...and so far I have to agree. It really is slow and tedious. Now I am only level 14 or so but does it pick up? I am trying to motivate myself to stay with the class but its feeling like work.

Kiralai
02.16.2012 , 04:49 PM | #2
Honestly, I dropped my consular at about the same level that you are now in favor of Sith Warrior. Unfortunately I don't have any insight as to whether it gets better later on, but I haven't heard many good things about the Jedi consular storyline from other players.
"True mastery is to feel the flames of your passion, to dance with the fire, to live in it, to fully embrace the primal forces of destruction and creation, and not be burned to a cinder, to survive and prosper because you loved the flame, used the flame, but did not allow yourself to be consumed by it; this is greatness; this is Sith."

LyriaFrost
02.16.2012 , 05:07 PM | #3
My consular is 33rd right now, and I play her with my bf's jedi knight, so I've got a bit more motivation to work on her.

The story IS a bit dry, though there are some interesting parts here and there in act-1. Haven't started act-2 yet, so we'll see what that brings.

Overall, it's not bad, but it's not great. At least to the point where I am right now.
Weave maid such progress, but knot without accost. In deed, won wonders weather two take a fence. Each thyme oui real lion a computer, wheel ooze a bit of hours elves. Two much technology may knot bee sew suite, and we joust can't real eye two much on spell Czech. Sea the problem hear?

Tkara
02.16.2012 , 05:16 PM | #4
It gets much better when you get around level 45 if that's any consolation.

bookist
02.16.2012 , 05:21 PM | #5
for me act 1 was boring. Act 2 then started to be good and act three is excellent. You just have to be patient.

relayinabox
02.16.2012 , 05:28 PM | #6
I've found it to be a really slow-building story. I just finished chapter 2 last night and I can say the first chapters were really dry. It's definitely not as action-packed/thrilling as other class stories. (Maybe chapter 3 will be better... )
(You Can Follow the Light/ΞΞThe Harbinger/The Ebon HawkΞΞ\Or You Can Fall to the Dark)

gumbology
02.16.2012 , 06:03 PM | #7
I enjoyed it. I think you kinda have to be "in-character," or have a particular type of motivation and mindset to enjoy playing a consular, in the first place... and after playing through as a sage, i can see how it may not exactly fit the "shadow" mindset. From what i understand, the advanced classes have no bearing on the story progression, other than the abilities and tactics used during action sequences.

Idk. Whatever. It was enjoyable for me, and i thought it only got better as i progressed further through it. I did begin to get impatient in my 40's and sort of rush it a bit, and i guess i'll admit, it does sort of "get old," the way everyone, everywhere, seems to expect you to do everything for them, as you save each planet you visit along the way. It actually seems to be a bit of a joke at some points, with some of the dialogue options referring to guilt-trips and self-sufficiency. Some characters even "claim" partial credit for your heroism, while they in fact did nothing at all, other than to ask you to do it for them. Such is the life of a Jedi, i guess... doing everything "normal" people can't do for themselves.

I would definitely say it's a story that will most likely be most enjoyed from a particular perspective and mindset.

edit: i will add, it seems more drama-oriented, rather than action-packed. That said... lvl 14 is no time to decide anything about any of the class-stories. You've just scratched the surface at that point. I mean... you JUST got sprint. You don't even have your ship. You have no idea what's going on! (which was the single factor that ended up compelling me to respond at all) lol.
UmadSir?

Shadenuat
02.16.2012 , 06:13 PM | #8
I am level 36 and I am perfectly satisfied with my Consular story. The only right way to play it is from a perspective of classic Lawful Good character. It's really down to earth, it's modest, without many "git in blow stuff up git out", jedi order centered story. It feels personal. I don't know about "dry", but it does seems more like a job, not and adventure, and it's really satisfying to speak with all the leaders, shadow dealers, senators, princes and princesses, because it makes me feel myself as an agent with an actuall duty to attend to, not a random stranger. I like companions too, Qyzen is a real bro, it's nice to be a jedi who are supposed to understand and learn from diffirent species and actually do so. I think it takes a bit of diffirent state of mind to play a diplomatic and lore heavy story like that, but I think I get it.

LeeTone
02.16.2012 , 06:33 PM | #9
It's what I expected of a Jedi Consular.

Straight and by the book sort of character.

nosuchname
02.16.2012 , 10:53 PM | #10
For me, I nearly unsubbed. It was horrid. I could not believe a story driven mmo had such a dreary story. Each chapter is a brutal exercise in repetition. I knew EXACTLY what was going to happen and I can't understand how anyone could write such a story and how it got approved. It left such a bad taste in my mouth, I can barely stand logging in to grind dailies for credits for my other alts and yet I think both advanced classes are fun to play.

Oh, and I must be a masochist because after I hit lvl 50 on my lightside sage, I pushed to 31 as a darkside shadow, but its gathering dust now. I have seen zero consequences for my choices. Thank god the smug lets me stealth/heal and that class story is like jumping into a pool of pure spring water after weeks baking in the desert.

Spoiler

But who knows, you may love it.
R.I.P. space flight.