Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP Darkness Hybrid?

aZShiftyZa
02.16.2012 , 03:48 PM | #1
I know they did some nerfs to make hybrids more difficult and somewhat unviable. I've been messing around a bit. Right now I'm a lvl 46 dual shock decep assassin and have been since day 1, I love deception but I wouldn't mind trying something new. I put this together to try to take as much PVP relevancy as I could. This is strictly for PVP with no end game PVE content being considered. What are you thoughts and critiques. I haven't tried it yet but the overall appearance to me looks pretty solid.

This is also assuming you're using dark charge as well, not lightning.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...bskZ0MZf0for.1

xdoctor
02.16.2012 , 04:06 PM | #2
I've tried that before. It didn't work well with my playstyle, I felt I was doing better with Harnessed Darkness and Wither than I did with Death Field.

I went this way: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MsrszbskrsZbZf0c.1

I find it to have good survivability and steady damage.

aZShiftyZa
02.16.2012 , 04:10 PM | #3
I think the reason I avoided that route was to avoid casting... With all the pvp atm basically being crowds, deathfield seems to do the most dmg as well as giving you a heal along with the self healing in the darkness tree. I know the debuff with wither is nice but for straight pvp dmg dealing it "seems" to me that deathfield is better. I know that you can get a no pushback force lightning but it can still be interrupted and with all the interrupts and knock backs in the game I'd imagine finding time to use that would be more situational than placing deathfield.

Any reason you put 2 points in duplicity instead of dark embrace?

LordXalas
02.16.2012 , 10:13 PM | #4
its just wither brings more to the table then death field atm. Not only does wither now gives a proc for harnessed darkness (which makes getting 3 stacks super easy now) but it also does damage, slows the target down, and gives a debuff for damage to them.

I see no real reason to not get wither over death field if you put more points into darkness.
DDE

Cowflab
02.18.2012 , 12:24 PM | #5
Can we stop calling specs that require the 31pt talent "hybrids?"

Pwnyride
02.18.2012 , 03:52 PM | #6
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...ede10fef16ef2:
This is the way I play, I has no deathfield or wither, but has Harness darkness for some really good healing surviability, I give up wither to Gain dark embrace for some good force regen out of stealth and good single target dmg via the increased crit dmg from thrash.

Lots of single target dmg goodness while having great surviability. Deathfield is great but i find myself picking off singles rather than constantly running into groups where deathfield would be best. I like the advantage of having good single target ability.
(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀]╬[Pwnyride]╬{▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Haphaman
02.18.2012 , 04:11 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cowflab View Post
Can we stop calling specs that require the 31pt talent "hybrids?"
No one did.. he just said that wither brings more to the table than the hybrid using death field.

Brokor
02.18.2012 , 09:47 PM | #8
i rly cannot count how many times i have interrupted people with death field while they try to plant bombs/capture turrets.
i run 24/0/17 and i survive a lot, protect a lot, dmg a lot (usually i top dmg charts) and also help with interrupting a lot. for me 30m>10m any day. thats why death field wins in my book. also it does internal dmg which is awesome against commandos/scoundrels who have high armor.
also harnessed darkness is unintutive as a melee in pvp you never want to cast a spell for 3 seconds. and the +crt dmg on thrash gives more single target dmg overall than harnessed darkness.
also whirlwind insta cast has saved me numerous times and helped me win 1v2 effortlessly. also let me cap turrets/plant bombs quite some times.

My current build

after all going 31 on darkness tree offers near to none survivability (apart from the heal of HD in 1v1) in contrast to my build.

also death field wins on illum "PVP"

Lowerydro
02.19.2012 , 01:39 AM | #9
27/1/13

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rskdZoZf0cRb.1

I have tried spec after spec in pvp. Generally I go from darkness to trying deception/madness then back to darkness. Deception and madness are disappointing every time.

Not having harnessed darkness basically makes force lightning useless for a sin.

Not having claws of decay makes thrash very weak and almost useless for the force cost.

Getting both leaves you with a great toolset.

Getting wither simply costs too many points that can go into very effective skills. Wither itself hits for about 1k at most in pvp and the speed debuff isn't as useful as simply using force slow.

Death field is not a spamming ability, it is a tool. When an enemy stealths, runs, roots, or when you need to just pop a long range target (or interrupt) you use it. I also use it as an opener if I'm running in on someone, but save it if already on them.

Harnessed darkness still works great without wither thanks to the new change that gives it a 30 second timer. You can use your thrash more since you have claws of decay and that procs energize more, letting you shock more frequently, letting you build harnessed darkness faster. HD still does the same thing, and honestly I find myself using it just as often as I did as a full darkness build.

Light targets get trashed fast... 2k+ thrash crits, 2.5k shocks, 2.5k death field, 6.5k HD FL.... even higher with relics and adrenals.

DauntlessV
02.19.2012 , 02:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowerydro View Post
27/1/13

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rskdZoZf0cRb.1

I have tried spec after spec in pvp. Generally I go from darkness to trying deception/madness then back to darkness. Deception and madness are disappointing every time.

Not having harnessed darkness basically makes force lightning useless for a sin.

Not having claws of decay makes thrash very weak and almost useless for the force cost.

Getting both leaves you with a great toolset.

Getting wither simply costs too many points that can go into very effective skills. Wither itself hits for about 1k at most in pvp and the speed debuff isn't as useful as simply using force slow.

Death field is not a spamming ability, it is a tool. When an enemy stealths, runs, roots, or when you need to just pop a long range target (or interrupt) you use it. I also use it as an opener if I'm running in on someone, but save it if already on them.

Harnessed darkness still works great without wither thanks to the new change that gives it a 30 second timer. You can use your thrash more since you have claws of decay and that procs energize more, letting you shock more frequently, letting you build harnessed darkness faster. HD still does the same thing, and honestly I find myself using it just as often as I did as a full darkness build.

Light targets get trashed fast... 2k+ thrash crits, 2.5k shocks, 2.5k death field, 6.5k HD FL.... even higher with relics and adrenals.

I do the same thing, but I have my last point in fanaticism rather than duplicity. I dont see the point in using maul at all with this build. I definitely use death field more than I ever would maul with this spec