Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mass Effect technology vs. Star Wars technology

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Mass Effect technology vs. Star Wars technology

Lodril
02.16.2012 , 05:39 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Well the Reaper's technology was immense, they had hundreds of thousands if not millions of years of advancement in technology.

But I think this topic truly cannot be discussed objectively until we really know their power in Mass Effect 3.
They'll be somehow confrontable in ME3, so it can't be that much further ahead of their enemies. Plus, Sovereign was eventually destroyed by the Council fleet, and felt he had to bring in a swarm of Geth to confront them.

The Reapers are advanced, but they spend most of those millions of years asleep in deep space. I think they've mostly plateau'd in technology, because they direct the development of all rivals so that they never need to advance.

Methenu
02.16.2012 , 05:43 PM | #12
Gunnery Chief: This, recruits, is a 20-kilo ferrous slug. Feel the weight. Every five seconds, the main gun of an Everest-class dreadnought accelerates one to 1.3 percent of light speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kilotomb bomb. That is three times the yield of the city buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-***** in space. Now! Serviceman Burnside! What is Newton's First Law?

First Recruit: Sir! A object in motion stays in motion, sir!

Gunnery Chief: No credit for partial answers, maggot!

First Recruit: Sir! Unless acted on by an outside force, sir!

Gunnery Chief: Damn straight! I dare to assume you ignorant *******es know that space is empty. Once you fire this hunk of metal, it keeps going till it hits something. That can be a ship, or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you pull the trigger on this, you're ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime. That is why you check your damn targets! That is why you wait for the computer to give you a damn firing solution! That is why, Serviceman Chung, we do not "eyeball it!" This is a weapon of mass destruction. You are not a cowboy shooting from the hip!

Second Recruit: Sir, yes sir!
Sorcerer Powertech Marauder Operative Guardian Sage Commando Gunslinger

AngelousWang
02.16.2012 , 05:45 PM | #13
Reapers > Star Wars > The rest of the ME universe.

Most of ME universe is pretty much on par with Battle Star Galactica/Firefly level of technology, still on bullets, slugs and bombs, but with some advance keneitc based technology throw in.

Star Wars is energy weapon and shields.

Reapers are impressive, they have ways of manipulating the laws of physics (mass effect fields) that allow for mind boggling maneuverability a Reaper (which is a very large capital ship) can on the spot turn going at max speed as if he were a fighter, this would tare the hull of any ship in half if tired, as physic do not allow for it. There weapons are speed of light projected super heated liquid metal guns (basically they shoot metal lava at the speed of light). As many a Sifi has taught me, energy shields do nothing against against lava for more than a few seconds, before they overload.

The only problem Reaper have is their shield defenses are keneitc (rather than energy) so they would not be able to withstand a Star War capital ships turbo lasers.

So:

The Reapers fly circles around Star Wars ships, and slaughter them with their lava guns. Though the Reapers better make sure they don't get hit or it's likely a one shot kill.

But other than that Star Wars destroys the ME universe.
CE VIP

Slipzman
02.16.2012 , 05:53 PM | #14
"The Reapers fly circles around Star Wars ships, and slaughter them with their lava guns. Though the Reapers better make sure they don't get hit or it's likely a one shot kill."

Oh wait I think you forgot how many turbolasers most SW capital ships have, Not to mention that they pour out a complete hail of fire at ALL kinds of directios.

Sure reapers have some insane tech that we dont really know about, But they seem to fear a united Citadel user civilisation.

So from that we can kind off judge how powerful they are.

Never diss the power of Star Wars capital ships, Especialy bigger ones just look at Taris and those were old smaller old republic ships.

Look at the Executor SSD and how many guns it had... Now imagine those firing on one of those small crab like reapers.

Keihryon
02.16.2012 , 06:11 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Methenu View Post
Gunnery Chief: This, recruits, is a 20-kilo ferrous slug. Feel the weight. Every five seconds, the main gun of an Everest-class dreadnought accelerates one to 1.3 percent of light speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kilotomb bomb. That is three times the yield of the city buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-***** in space. Now! Serviceman Burnside! What is Newton's First Law?

First Recruit: Sir! A object in motion stays in motion, sir!

Gunnery Chief: No credit for partial answers, maggot!

First Recruit: Sir! Unless acted on by an outside force, sir!

Gunnery Chief: Damn straight! I dare to assume you ignorant *******es know that space is empty. Once you fire this hunk of metal, it keeps going till it hits something. That can be a ship, or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you pull the trigger on this, you're ruining someone's day, somewhere and sometime. That is why you check your damn targets! That is why you wait for the computer to give you a damn firing solution! That is why, Serviceman Chung, we do not "eyeball it!" This is a weapon of mass destruction. You are not a cowboy shooting from the hip!

Second Recruit: Sir, yes sir!
What is that from?

A side note to whomever said SW weapons have no ammo. You're wrong. They do have ammo, but it is in a gaseous state. Tibanna Gas, mined in several places most notably Bespin is the ammo used for blasters.

Dire-Wolf
02.16.2012 , 07:07 PM | #16
To clear things up for some people, Mass Effect has FTL travel and it's different to the Mass Relays.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/FTL
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Relay

FTL in Mass Effect is pretty much the same sort of FTL you see in any sci-fi game or film.
Mass Relays on the other hand basically shoots the ship through space at such a speed that travel is instantaneous, at least that's how I understand it.

Liquidacid
02.17.2012 , 02:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Keihryon View Post
What is that from?

A side note to whomever said SW weapons have no ammo. You're wrong. They do have ammo, but it is in a gaseous state. Tibanna Gas, mined in several places most notably Bespin is the ammo used for blasters.
that's a line from the games... some troopers can be heard saying it by the Citadel docking shuttle I believe

in SW blasters all use 2 kinds of ammo... power and "blaster gas" ... blaster gas is actually a chemically-enhanced fluid that isn't turned into gas until the weapon is being fired.. and Tibanna gas was actually a rare kind that was considered high quality... there were hundreds of different types of blaster gas used
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

stiksen
02.17.2012 , 05:50 AM | #18
star wars has the death star, a planet destroyer. The Reapers can't do that

origional
02.17.2012 , 05:54 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Arivael View Post
Ok lets break this down:

Starwars; Ion drive engins so no "fuel" as such, throw out a large amount of hear and radation providing some protection against fighter attack.

Ion drives require fuel just ike any other engine, especially for the purpose of quick accelartion and maneuvering
George Lucas: I told you the game was called Star Wars. Bioware: You sure? We thought you said Stun Wars
Republic General on Imperial Favouritism: We can't win. If we strike them down Bioware will just make them more powerful than we could possibly imagine.

Liquidacid
02.17.2012 , 07:18 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by stiksen View Post
star wars has the death star, a planet destroyer. The Reapers can't do that
ya, after playing the ME3 demo, for all the Reapers claim to be and how they claim to have done it so many times they don't seem very efficient at wiping out a planet's life and it sure takes a lot of them...
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.