Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Patches just not beefy enough

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Patches just not beefy enough
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OsarionRDM
02.16.2012 , 03:20 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagerinho View Post
for patches that are released every week, I would say they are "beefy" enough
Yep. They're pretty much just meant to be hotfixes anyway. Big content comes in the 1.x, not 1.x.y
I find your over-inflated sense of self worth disturbing.

grapefruit
02.16.2012 , 03:24 PM | #12
This can be thought of kind of like the project management triangle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_triangle

Except with software patching you can think of it like a choice between these three.

Features
Stability
Speed

Pick 2, and sometimes one . From experiance, focusing on any of them heavily will reduce the others. In this case you want either more fixes (stability) or more features (more line items!) and you want them fast, weekly or faster.

This is not how things work. And its not as simple as throwing more people at it either. Their patching pace for the client is a bit fast for my taste and we seem to get a few nasty bugs each patch. This could probably be lowered with more testing (character copies :P), but bugs happen.

GeorgZoeller
02.16.2012 , 03:27 PM | #13 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by ThalantyrDSL View Post
Bioware, comon... your patches are horrible.
1. Warfront Exploiting

Constantly logging into sides having stacked players in Hutball, only to grab the ball and hold onto it for 60 seconds to win the round.
As soon as the weekly warzone quest resets the warzones are ripe with exploiters.
This should be pretty high up on your list of things to fix, because it frustrates the hell out of people.

Hey, this particular issue is addressed in 1.1.4, it's just not in the PTS patch notes right now.

Please understand that we usually do not include exploit-specific issues in the test server patch notes (though we will be adding this one in). They are usually added in the final patch notes when the patch hits live.

regards
-- Georg

Frigidman
02.16.2012 , 03:27 PM | #14
How about instead of only reading what was put into the patch notes, you actually get on the PTS and do some actual testing. Then come here and report any bugs the new patch caused. You know, the sole reason this PTS Forum exists.

This thread is of zero use for the PTS Forum.
I vote delete.
Hire website designers that actually have had real life experience in the job.
Then let me know so I can return to the forum.

ThalantyrDSL
02.16.2012 , 03:40 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hey, this particular issue is addressed in 1.1.4, it's just not in the PTS patch notes right now.
Thankyou for adding that in Georg.

HuntinSikness
02.16.2012 , 03:44 PM | #16
And there was much rejoicing.
Guac <Republic's Elite> [Mandalore the Indomitable].

Comtyra
02.16.2012 , 03:47 PM | #17
These weekly patchnotes are beefy enough for me IF the issues are fixed for real. But it doesn't seem to be the case always... notes say fixed but the issues persist.

Permetheus
02.16.2012 , 03:50 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

Please understand that we usually do not include exploit-specific issues in the test server patch notes (though we will be adding this one in). They are usually added in the final patch notes when the patch hits live.

regards
-- Georg
Can't tell you how much communication like this means. Totally awesome! Thank you!!!

Rophez
02.16.2012 , 04:03 PM | #19
Are you doing anything about the /stuck exploit on Ilum?
Bioware - Please stop advertising with high resolution textures if they are impossible to implement in the retail client.

TonyIommi
02.16.2012 , 04:14 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ThalantyrDSL View Post
It's about the length of time that it takes to release the small patches. If they're going to be patching ONCE a week, with the rare occasion where they bring the server down for an exploit outside of the weekly maintenance patch, then they need to contain more. Small patches should be released every few days at the most because it doesn't take a week to figure out and fix the kinds of things that are in the "minor" patches.
It most certainly can. See the biggest problem with bugs is FINDING THE DAMN BUG. Once you do that it's usually fairly simple to fix. USUALLY. After that some testing is required to make sure it doesn't cause more bugs with existing code or create balance head aches. Theirs your week. To be honest I think in some cases they should probably take a bit longer with the bug fixes. Make sure its fixed. PTR charachter copy will help that out though.