Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can someone please explain to me why SWG was so awesome

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Can someone please explain to me why SWG was so awesome

DarylMusashi
02.17.2012 , 03:40 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
It was awful.

People liked it for the relationships they had while playing.

Also, certain Star Wars fans will love anything if you let them build a house on Tatooine.

It wasn't a game, it was a big, empty world with very little to do. It just happened to be Star Wars. These are the same people that like the prequels.

It's all rose colored glasses. SWG was terrible.
I hate the prequels, but liked SWG. It wasn't a perfect game, but I had fun in my time there.

SentinelThain
02.17.2012 , 04:33 AM | #72
I miss it.I was an elder jedi on Ahazi.I never hung around at the end coz all my mates had quit and it was sad the way it just faded out.
But the memories and friends i made was what made it so great.Unlocking jedi,building guilds and cities,pvp,space,beast master,the different planets,crafting et etc.
But it was not all good.SOE effed a lot up.NGE,SWG card game,server mergers too late,lack of expansions after Musty,and generally SOE just being ****.
I would never buy another game from that mob after what they did.

Anyway thats my two bobs worth.But yeah I do miss it tho I'm enjoying this game too.

DND_Druid
02.17.2012 , 05:09 AM | #73
I like sandbox therefore the idea of creating a story and conflict between players was brilliant. You could have wars with other guilds in open pvp the bounty hunter system was fantastic fun if you were a jedi or BH.

Crafting was the best system ever in an MMo where u had to hunt for the best spawns to create the best equipment which made the economy brilliant. You could get notoriety from pvp or crafting . People would travel to your player citys to use ur trade outlets making your city a living breathing place.

You could decorate your house with absolute precision make interesting looks and you could display anything at all.

Being able to mix and match your profession gave you such freedom to play with templates . Jedi defender with master marksman or Master healer with master brawler you could do anything . Brilliant

Going to your city cantena and getting buffs from dancers and docs before going on a guild hunt or PVP always got people talking and mucking about and that vreated comunity.

All in all pre cu swg was probably the best MMo for comunity interaction and adventure. It had its problems like all real MMo's because not all things suit players from casual to hard core because those players dont mix but overall you could do anything you liked in SWG . I just wish it had friendly fire that would have made it damn near perfect . It could have done with the raid ellement of course .

Then they killed it with the NGE.

SWTOR is not anything like SWG as it hasnt got the depth for the creative player therefore it wont last as long as SWG unless they put some of those aspects into it IMHO.

SWG was probably the greatest star wars MMO ever because no one has made another MMo with the star wars universe yet . One day someone might and actually add some freedom and depth and create a real SW MMo . I live in hope.
MMSOG :Massivley Multiplayer Single Player Game

Gratulor
02.17.2012 , 05:20 AM | #74
I liked SWG for the community and roleplay... and space combat. Wasn't much else that kept me there. Played for 3 years.
"If you only look after your own hide, then you're not a man."

Darth_Loki
02.17.2012 , 06:34 AM | #75
I miss the crafting and the sandbox. Quit when the NGE hit and never understood why people kept giving SOE money after that.

I look back at my days in SWG with both fondness and bitterness and if they start a new emu server with no Jedi, I would probably play it just to craft and grind out a BH just to grief new Jedi.

Kauri server.

Cburkejr
02.17.2012 , 06:59 AM | #76
Why did they shut it down and not make it free to play?

Deacfrost
02.17.2012 , 07:04 AM | #77
I never played SWG, but I always wish I had (I was playing EQ2 from launch until last year).

There's a good article about the end of SWG in this months PC Gamer. In a nutshell, they claim the death of SWG was due to SOE panicking that everyone wanted to be a jedi, so sacrificed the entire game to let everyone do it much easier.

sly_swg
02.17.2012 , 07:10 AM | #78
people complaining about bugs: as the mechanics were so much more complex than the current crop of mmo's like wow/swtor (whose mechanics can be figured out be a 5 year old) the game was more prone to bugs...

the complexer the program, the more lines of code, the more bugs...

some concepts I really miss:
-spice (temporary boost for a few minutes, with a downer afterwards)
the food system: you had a stomach for food and drink, a fixed digestive rate, so find food -with the right duration/filling and finding the ideal way of stacking was a game in itself
NPC intelligence: a lot of people that played the game don't even realise this, but the AI was awesome, you had social and non-social mobs, and even herdable mobs...
some mobs even could be milked to use for uber-food!!!!

swg, besides being the best social mmo, als is pretty much the only one that poses an intellectual challenge (if you decide not to go cookie cutter)...... except maybe Eve Online I really LOATHE the fact modern mmos are so dumbed down... boredom seems to chase me away

sly_swg
02.17.2012 , 07:13 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Deacfrost View Post
I never played SWG, but I always wish I had (I was playing EQ2 from launch until last year).

There's a good article about the end of SWG in this months PC Gamer. In a nutshell, they claim the death of SWG was due to SOE panicking that everyone wanted to be a jedi, so sacrificed the entire game to let everyone do it much easier.
it's more complex, but for a part similar to most mmo's: devs listen to the very very vocal minority who, in stead of really looking how to play, systematically calls for buffs or nerfs...

what actually killed SWG was the 2 lobotomies that were performed (CURB and NGE) and the fact that even the transtion was done very poorly (gear conversion, not fun to work a month to get the best weapon of that type in all of SWG, to see it reduced to crap when curb hit)

Pirana
02.17.2012 , 09:53 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by SkateOnTrees View Post
Honestly I never played it. spent most of my time during these years playing either Everquest or Final Fantasy 11.

Not sure I entirely understand this sandbox concept

also heard they actually had bounties and people hung in cantinas on regular basis

so why did a game that sounds this awesome/immersive get tossed in the trash?

The following video gives you a basic idea. There were a few mods used, but overall, pretty much spot on, and probably the best film for, or of the game.

I played five years myself and was there until the end. I won't give any of my own viewpoints as most have already been made by others in this thread. Anyway, if you haven't watched it, it's worth the view, even for those that never had the opportunity to play SWG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK6Zv1U2qhw
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana