Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can someone please explain to me why SWG was so awesome

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Can someone please explain to me why SWG was so awesome

Morticoccus
02.16.2012 , 08:00 AM | #21
So basically, it had classes that appealed to those players that play an MMO instead of using an online chat room and rather than people just running around ganking you at random had a system that rewarded people for ganking anyone you point at.

In addition to the game mechanic that glorifies the elitist grinders even more by letting them carry their achievements around and cutting people's limbs off in seedy cantinas with them.

Oh, and the crafting system I actually tried, loads of fun running around the wide open, *empty* world while occasionally looking at your scanner to find that rare material dig spot that is 5 kilometers outside of town while everyone else does the same.

I mean, I can understand some of the materials, but digging for vegetable matter? They make 95% of all cloth from ROOTS?

Oh, and then we get to the next stage, the precursor to companion gathering missions. Rather than pay money for them to do your work for you you could build your own material collectors and set them up to not even have to be logged on to get materials, FUN.

But then again, these games all build on the timesink mechanic anyway.
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

Foofie
02.16.2012 , 08:01 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post

I am sick of people comparing this game to SWG. This game was not designed with SWG in mind. It won't have the "features" of SWG and it never will.
I don't think I would "Compare" it to SWG. I would hope that the underlined part of your quote would never come true.

There are some great Ideas that could be put into this game, not changing it, but adding elements that could appease those who not only want to "Gear hunt" as this game is pretty much focused on , in my opinion, but to have what they would call "their immersion".

A couple of sandbox elements wouldn't really hurt this game at all, I feel
Master Foofie SWG Tempest Survivor FORCE Disciples

DeltaEkotte
02.16.2012 , 08:05 AM | #23
Decoratable ships was what kept me playing, being able to raise, lower and rotate items to make them look the way you want was great.
Imperial General Ekotte, Captin of the Mandalorian Fist; E-Chimaera

Arkerus
02.16.2012 , 08:11 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Foofie View Post
I don't think I would "Compare" it to SWG. I would hope that the underlined part of your quote would never come true.

There are some great Ideas that could be put into this game, not changing it, but adding elements that could appease those who not only want to "Gear hunt" as this game is pretty much focused on , in my opinion, but to have what they would call "their immersion".

A couple of sandbox elements wouldn't really hurt this game at all, I feel
What I was trying to say is this game will never be sandbox based.
It will never be as grindy. The player direction will never be a mystery of class skills.
It will never be based on player cities and wondering around looking for buffs you can't get.

TOR is not SWG.

It will always be story/class based. It will always try to tunnel the player to the next objective.

Yes. This game will have some free roam "capabilities" but like WoW before it, it will always be a direction based game.

That said, YES, we could use some fun/interesting sandbox ideas that are not critical to progression. I think that would be very cool.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

AtomicWanderer
02.16.2012 , 08:12 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by mindriot View Post
Jesus its the topic that will never die. I played in beta and release. Like a poster stated before, its all seen through rose colored glasses. The game was insanely broken. Classes were broken, not "hey I don't do as much damage as x class" but "hey most of my skills don't work" broken (terse kasi anyone), and I could name several other classes like that. Roleplayers liked it because it was sandbox, but I think that was more because they had to hide the fact that there was zero content. Content in swg consisted of mission terminals that had you going out and killing a mound of blah blah blah. That's it. Want to talk bad launches? How about not being able to even log onto the game for a solid week or more after launch. It's all nostalgia. The game was awful. The only good thing about it was the space game. People talk about player bounties....I lol. Players 99% of the time just traded their bounties . The game sucked, it was 2003, get over it. Swtor rules BTW.
Jesus is a great topic to discuss. So is SW:TOR, so let's stay on-topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

mindriot
02.16.2012 , 08:15 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by SkateOnTrees View Post
thats something this generation of gamers will just never understand, or never desire to understand i guess is more accurate to say

to actually put time and effort into a gaming experience and reap the benefits, E-peen, and everything else from achieving where others have not or cannot.
Again, a nostalgic eye. The whole force user disaster. It was rng, you didn't work towards anything because you didn't know what to work towards. They pigeon holed themselves with the original movie storyline. You couldn't just shoehorn jedi into a world that wasn't supposed to have any.

Your all looking back on that game with rose colored glasses. I like to call galaxies the "stand around simulator". If swg released today....it would be an even bigger disaster than what it was in 03. Pay for a game and you couldn't even play it for weeks because the servers were so bad.

I heard someone was starting a pre ngs server, maybe you guys should go play it, and stop posting about it. I'll see you back on the fleet in about a week.
I-5 Ivy bridge 3470
8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance
MSI GeForce 680
Samsung 830 SSD

Morticoccus
02.16.2012 , 08:21 AM | #27
Again, a nostalgic eye. The whole force user disaster. It was rng, you didn't work towards anything because you didn't know what to work towards. They pigeon holed themselves with the original movie storyline. You couldn't just shoehorn jedi into a world that wasn't supposed to have any.

Your all looking back on that game with rose colored glasses. I like to call galaxies the "stand around simulator". If swg released today....it would be an even bigger disaster than what it was in 03. Pay for a game and you couldn't even play it for weeks because the servers were so bad.

I heard someone was starting a pre ngs server, maybe you guys should go play it, and stop posting about it. I'll see you back on the fleet in about a week.
Someone has already started a server, it's been up for years...

Also, the people that seem to like SWG are those that would play a game where you have a black world without any textures at all, where you can play pong against other players, and have a chatbox.

The people that play MMOs not for the game itself, but because all their friends are playing and millions more are waiting on the net.

IE: The people that should stop paying for a subscription and move on to IRC, it's this great MMO made just the way you like it, and it's free. Get your copy today.
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

Foofie
02.16.2012 , 08:28 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Morticoccus View Post
Also, the people that seem to like SWG are those that would play a game where you have a black world without any textures at all, where you can play pong against other players, and have a chatbox.
Really?

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't feel that is very accurate. I , for one, love this game, and think SWG was not that bad in reference to graphics. The atmospheres were just beautiful. Naboo, Endor, etc.

(and besides, it was Combat 2600 style, not Pong)
Master Foofie SWG Tempest Survivor FORCE Disciples

SkateOnTrees
02.16.2012 , 08:31 AM | #29

its easy to discount the nostalgic feeling we have when your deniably aggressive

people will miss aspects of the game for sure, but I doubt a single person will ever say every detail of the game was spot on. You'd never hear that argument from me on any game I've ever played, or anything I've ever done in my entire life, and for you to think everyone who played SWG is that narrow minded is insulting to say the least.

Morticoccus
02.16.2012 , 08:31 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Foofie View Post
Really?

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't feel that is very accurate. I , for one, love this game, and think SWG was not that bad in reference to graphics. The atmospheres were just beautiful. Naboo, Endor, etc.

(and besides, it was Combat 2600 style, not Pong)
I'm not talking about the graphics, I mean that you guys don't care what game you're playing, you only care because you have friends in it too.

Great for you, not a plus for the actual game however.