Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pyrotech Mercenary with High Velocity Cylinder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Pyrotech Mercenary with High Velocity Cylinder

vimm
02.18.2012 , 12:03 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Snagulus View Post
Honestly, I'm thinking the DoT would out damage the Armor Penetration, especially in the Burnout range. I also think having to rely on IM would be limiting.

Side note: Why not just try it?
Why do you assume I haven't tried it? I asked for people's thoughts about it, as I'm indecisive. Am I in the wrong place for that?
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

vimm
02.18.2012 , 12:08 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkenDragon View Post
for 1. armor does not reduce your elemental damage, it only reduces energy and kenetic damage, so if you were using combustion gas cylinder, you got all that elemental damage ignoring 100% of their armor already

2. how the hell are you gonna get further into pyro tree without getting any of the combustion gas cylinder talents? by getting alacrity? inferred sensors? gyroscopic alignment jets? really? your gonna waste talents into those just to avoid the combustion gas cylinder talents?

honestly your really arent thinking through this at all just to avoid playing a set way that works
No, I still get the boxes that give me benefits from attacking players who are burning.

Here is the template - I'm not sure why this is upsetting people so much, lol.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

Sniggly
02.18.2012 , 12:16 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
35% Armor Penetration in exchange for the Combustible Gas Cylinder DoT and a 2 second snare upon a proc.

Thoughts?
The Pryo Tree evloves around CGC. It's kinda stupid not to use the CGC since you gain not only damage but an extra 6% for it to go off.
BALROC
Tactical Vengeance

WAR HERO 75

omarunaoe
02.18.2012 , 03:10 AM | #24
I can't imagine not having my Rapid Shots snare people. It's a beautiful option on the run, and having it baked in to everything is just incredible. My first 50 was a Pyro Powertech, and having it guaranteed on Flame Burst was so much better... but it's still great.

In terms of damage, you might do SLIGHTLY more in a vacuum given the fact that everything but IM would see a DPS boost... but how much DPS are you losing due to being outranged when you wouldn't? Or due to wasting a few second getting IM up when you realize you can't Rail Shot when it comes off cooldown?

Being able to reliably chain our burst is critical as Pyro in PVP.

bahdasz
02.18.2012 , 03:48 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Snagulus View Post
Honestly, I'm thinking the DoT would out damage the Armor Penetration, especially in the Burnout range. I also think having to rely on IM would be limiting.

Side note: Why not just try it?
It does, that's why I said don't do it. Plus, with the entire pyro tree centering around your target being on fire, or you setting your target on fire, why would you take away the matches?

It's silly and fail, but some people have to find out the hard way. OP, in stead of arguing with eveyrone aobut how great you think it should be in theory... go give it a try please.

Telos
02.18.2012 , 05:35 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
No, you misunderstand entirely. None of the points would be wasted at all, and no, I don't want to be an Arsenal Mercenary, lol. I'm talking about using the Pyrotech tree, with the 35% armor penetration. Again, I'd be missing out on the DoT from Combustible Gas Cylinder, as well as the 2 second slow you gain from that proceedural effect - though you obviously wouldn't pick up the snare box in said case.

Explain to me how exchanging a 4 second DoT for 35% armor penetration is gimped, without being so narrow-sighted and forming irrelevant analogies. You still have Incendiary Missle, as well as all other benefits from the Pyrotech tree.
"proc" is short for procurred effect, not proceedural effect.
SOONERS

DarkenDragon
02.18.2012 , 08:06 AM | #27
wow really? you just said you werent using combustion gas cylinder, yet you get the 2 specific talents that focuses on combustion gas cylinder, AND you get nothing to improve the use of high velocity cylinder, whats the point of this thread? stop spouting out nonsense and confusing other people plz, your just making yourself look retarded and confusion new players with false ideas

EthicsGradient
02.18.2012 , 12:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Telos View Post
"proc" is short for procurred effect, not proceedural effect.
No, it's from "special procedure" back near the start of the MUD age.

Macroecon
02.18.2012 , 01:16 PM | #29
I'm a Valor 68 Merc Pyro and I've used High Velocity ammo. On the Battle for Ilum Flashpoint in Hard Mode you need to use it. Not gonna say more about it than that so as not to spoil the quest for those who haven't done it. But other than special situations, I don't see the value.

XyriusSES
02.18.2012 , 02:38 PM | #30
Very angry people here, lol.