Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Our "tank" companions suck.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Our "tank" companions suck.

Kazomir
02.16.2012 , 03:12 AM | #1
Im playing a Sawbones scoundrel with Bowdaar, and he dies so fast!
Despite my desperate attemts to heal him his health drops down to 25% when fighting a pack of silver and a weak mob! Is that "Tanking"? Its more like " I get the mobs attention and die leaving you to die too hurp derp".

He is geared by the way, and no, i dont suck at healing >.<

Tanno Vik, the Trooper's melee tank wich is supposed to be bowdaar's counterpart is 3 times more tough.

Baelish
02.16.2012 , 03:55 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
Despite my desperate attemts to heal him his health drops down to 25% when fighting a pack of silver and a weak mob! Is that "Tanking"? Its more like " I get the mobs attention and die leaving you to die too hurp derp".

Tanno Vik, the Trooper's melee tank wich is supposed to be bowdaar's counterpart is 3 times more tough.
My Corso's health hits about that level if I don't heal him at all in a strong-plus-weak/normals pull. There's something squiffy going on in your case. Have you slipped behind the level curve for where you're questing, without noticing? I know I got a few shocks when I went from overlevelling the content to about-same via a fast blitz through just the story line on the intervening planet.

It might be tactics. Against trash packs, what I tend to do is Stealth in towards one end of the scatter of the pack, open with a big attack and have Corso drag in the furthest-away mob that won't come of its own accord. Once they're gathered up, I use the Thermal Grenade and then focus on whatever Corso is shooting at until TG is off cooldown again. I should probably pop Flash Grenade immediately after I've TGed and Corso has used his grenade, but I usually don't bother. I try and keep in a position to Backblast when it's off cooldown.

One of the things that keeps Scoundrel-Sawbones fun for me is that I still have a DPS contribution to make. Except when killing Champions, then it's really opportunist, and often slightly risky. Which adds some spice.

Ravenwhyte
02.16.2012 , 06:23 AM | #3
Some people prefer Bowdaar over Corso. I don't.

Keeping their equipment and weapons updated is critical. Presence stims help, as does the Cantina buff.

Silentstryfe
02.16.2012 , 06:50 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post

You're definitely doing something wrong. I used Bowdaar with my Gunslinger build (ie no heals) and other than Elite mobs, he wouldn't die during my fights. I geared him with the level 40 PvP when I hit 40 and he used that until I was 48 w/o me replacing anything really.

So if Bowdaar is dying, and you're supposedly a healer something is very very wrong. Keep in mind he's a tank and not DPS so he's not there to pump out large amounts of damage. If you're still having issues with him I'd suggest switching to Corso and/or switching up your tactics as some others have suggested.
Silentstryfe > Gunslinger
Crescendo
The Swiftsure

C-mot
02.16.2012 , 06:53 AM | #5
i always CC'ed the silver mob first (tranq/droid hack) then take out the trash mobs and after that kill the silver.
i found it easy to take down strongs (silver) and elites (gold) with my tanking companion as sawbone - as long as they were alone. If there is a fight against multiple oponents its another story (hated the fights after cutscenes).

i used Corso all the way (as when i got Bowdaar you could not shut off his area attacks - at least not for long).
if you use Bowdaar and use the CC tactic make sure you disable all area attacks on his toolbar or the CC'ed mobs will jump back into the fight as soon as an aoe attack hit them.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

theBrayn
02.16.2012 , 07:51 AM | #6
That's odd, I'm leveling as scrapper spec and don't have any problem with Bowdaar's survivability. Of course, I'm doing the heavy lifting when it comes to damage production. Perhaps you'd be better off with either Risha or Akaavi? Bowdaar doesn't put out a lot of damage from what I have seen so it is possible that the fight is lasting too long because you lack DPS.

MCesca
02.16.2012 , 10:29 AM | #7
I have better luck with Corso than with Bowdar. But I'm an Armormech, and I can't build gear for Bowdar, only Corso. That means i have to rely on armor drops for Bowdar, and they're inconsistant.

Either way, be glad you can heal your companion at all. I'm playing a Gunslinger, and I find that half the time I'm rez'ing my companions, no matter who they are.

Grimgrey
02.16.2012 , 10:35 AM | #8
Odd - I used Bowdaar pretty consistently through Tattooine, Alderaan, the Nar Shaddaa bonus series and Balmorra and never noticed a problem with him as a tank on my Gunslinger. (And obviously I wasn't healing him.) Then again, his gear was always on-level with mine. Cybertech helps.

I finally switched to Risha for the last bit of Balmorra and Hoth - she does a lot more dps. (Now I use Guss almost exclusively, but I'm assuming a Sawbones Scoundrel has no real need for a healing companion.)

Jacksyn
02.16.2012 , 11:14 AM | #9
I can't stress enough how important it is to keep you and your companion of choice geared up as well as possible. I have a full set of custom gear (- the belt I can't find) and I keep my mods at the top level I can achieve. Certainly, it helps that I am a cybertech, but you should be able to keep yourself geared with planet commendations.

I find it easiest to keep Corso geared for range mobs and Bowdar geared for melee mobs. I have a few custom pieces for Bowdar that I add mods to, and I select good reward equipment for Corso.

I know my gear is really good, because the stuff that drops is pitiful compared to what I'm running with. I'm currently melting my way though Hoth with the Wookie and the hick, and they both do fine for me.
Jaksyn, Jaklinn, Jaksynn, Jaklynn, Jakyle, Jakobbe, Jakor, Jakay
Jakcyn, Grimnor, Jaklen, Jaklene, Jakbrak, Jakleen, Jaksinn, Jaklenn

<Top Gun> The Harbinger

nightchrome
02.16.2012 , 07:32 PM | #10
I only need a tank for melee elites, as ranged elites are a snap as a gunslinger with appropriate use of interrupt and cover. The problem is that even with decent gear, Bowdaar is a piece of wet tissue paper against any melee elites.
I've honestly had better luck with a dps companion and me running around like a headless chicken.
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is not available in your region.