Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Time to end Biochem reusables

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Time to end Biochem reusables
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tyrias
03.12.2012 , 10:50 AM | #261
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Just a clarification, since I'm seeing a bit of misinformation around it.

We do not plan to remove the reusable stims. What we said at the Guild Summit is that we're going to phase them out - meaning while the itemization stat budget increases and new tiers of items are introduced, we're not intending to grow the reusable stims along with that at this time.
Heh, "at this time". Personally, I'll just keep Biochem. To much is in flux at the moment and changes too regularly to make an informed opinion. Once the 1.2 changes kick in, it'll take a few weeks to settle down. If there are more changes than "phasing out of Reusables (and while it's probably an oversight, the quote oddly only mentions Stims, nor Medpacks or adrenals)", then it might balance out. If not, then it's going to fall so far behind other crafts that even 'they' will admit it needs something else.

Then I'd guess we'll either see realstic quantities of consumables produced compared to resource cost, or a return to re-usable items (I can dream... the former seems more likely).

Personally, I think a much better fix for reusable stims is to let them be used on other people (who meet the level requirements). Then a Ops/Flashpoint group only needs 1 biochem to benefit from cheap reusable stims, and people don't feel obliged to run Biochem as the best end-game crew skill. The dedicated ops people will still get the better consumable blues, and a biochemist can buff the rest.
"If you've got a problem, stick a worm in it".

Quinlynn
03.12.2012 , 11:58 AM | #262

We do not plan to remove the reusable stims. What we said at the Guild Summit is that we're going to phase them out - meaning while the itemization stat budget increases and new tiers of items are introduced, we're not intending to grow the reusable stims along with that at this time.
This makes no sense tbqh.

Phasing out means removing, eventually.

Tired of wasting time and effort on shiz just so you key board jokies can remove it.

Try fixing your stuff first.

Easy fix would be to remove BioChem requirement from re-usables so more peeps can use them.

DUH!

FrostyDroid
03.12.2012 , 12:09 PM | #263
It's perfectly clear.

Starting in 1.2, and regularly as the game is updated, more powerful stims and medpacks will be added to Biochem. The purple versions of these items will NOT be infinite use.

Infinite use stims and medpacks will remain in the game, but will be inferior in effectiveness to the limited use items.

Thus, they are phased out as people will no loner want them.
It's incredible because it is not true.
As for expectations, we've always said that are not making another Star Wars sandbox, we are creating a different game.
I quote Zoeller now. Zoeller quotes are cool.

Kllashaa
03.12.2012 , 12:12 PM | #264
If they do phase out consumables, hopefully they compensate with some sort of convenience mechanism, because it's going to be pretty annoying constantly remaking an item, collecting mats on the GTN, and using the stim as the 2hr timer is about to wear off.

The current BOM (bill of materials) for a one-use item is way too high.

The reusables are really nice since you can just fire and forget, and you don't need to worry about maximizing the uptime. Same goes for the adrenals.

Cartumandua
03.12.2012 , 12:42 PM | #265

Translation: We can't figure out how to make the other crew skills useful, so we've decided to make Biochem useless too.

WNxAbaddon
03.12.2012 , 12:47 PM | #266
BW Balance guy 1 " Oh some noobs QQ about stims they need to be balanced ASAP "
BW Balance Guy 2 " Didnt we all ready Nurf them to hell ? "
BW Balance Guy 1 " Yes but, more nurf, ARGH MORE NURFS !!!! the crew skill it was working lets make it pointless like the others now ! and the QQ noobs will be happy YEY ! "

Am waiting for them to remove it completely and in its place crew skills for the new race PANDAS

Can just see it now http://www.n3rdgazm.com/wp-content/u..._star_wars.jpg
Darth Abaddon Tott doneeta █|||||||||||||()█╣█████████████████████████████████)

Micadog
03.12.2012 , 01:06 PM | #267
Well "Phasing out" usually means a planned removal in my part of the world , but semantics aside, the purple re-usables constitute the bulk of Biochem's armory of purple recipes.

What other craft has purples with lower values than blues?

Biochem: Blues>Purples>Greens.

Other crafts: Purples>Blues>Greens.

Ah, I hear you cry, but they are re-useable.

Well what other craft produces items which aren't?

You don't have to pop a new crystal in your Light Sabre or Gun every day do you? Or replace your armour mods? In fact if you get a lvl 11 orange at lvl 11 you can use it right through to end game.

All you do is upgrade as you need better gear, you don't have to keep buying a full new set of gear everyday.

So how is making the 'purple' re-usable Biochems not linked to having the Biochem skill, going to kill the game economy or ruin gameplay? If anything it opens the market to Biochemists and free's them from constantly having to 'farm' enough mats to be able to produce 'consumables' for everyones needs. ie more time to actually play the game.

In fact all the Biochem 'consumables' should be re-usable and useable by anyone , just of greater difficulty and cost to obtain the 'best in slot'.

Urkanan
03.12.2012 , 01:41 PM | #268
Quote: Originally Posted by Cartumandua View Post
Translation: We can't figure out how to make the other crew skills useful, so we've decided to make Biochem useless too.
QFT.

Question for BW:

What is exactly the appeal of sticking to (or even having) a craft skill come 1.2, if you guys are moving away from crafter-exclusive perks and items that require the craft skill to be used?

OldSwab
03.12.2012 , 02:01 PM | #269
Dam. I guess I get 5 clicky slots back at some point. The reusables are basically a time-saver/credit saver for me. Going to have to budget in some time/companion management now to get crafted stuff ready for operations. You deliberately make your sub-based game tedious at your own risk, Bioware, beaware

Swtor: Now With Added Grind!--applies to this change as well as "making pvp armor non viable for pve endgame". I don't know how many good ideas and player-friendly design features they can smash in a single update, but there has to be a record here somewhere.

to my 5 rakata buddies, farewell. we hardly knew ye before thou were't ripped from us, to favor bringing tedium into entertainment:

Medpack, the chicken soup to my huttball
Power adrenal (pvp/pve), so young, yet so full of potential
Armor adrenal (pvp), stubborn, but a hard worker
Cunning/pwr stim (pve), always there with that extra effort
Endurance/def stim (pvp), ah, stim, you kept me strong in those trying times.

Present, arms!
Order, arms!*

~taps~

*ok, so I don't recall exactly how it goes
Before you criticize someone harshly, try and walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they go really postal, you're safely 5000 feet away and they have no shoes.

Talizzar
03.12.2012 , 03:07 PM | #270
BW has already state that most players are not rich and most have less than 500k of credits so to fix that we are going to make players BUY non re usable products..............

Freaking amazing.

Amazing that people get paid to think up this crap.