Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Time to end Biochem reusables

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Time to end Biochem reusables
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Keltuk's Avatar


Keltuk
02.18.2012 , 10:26 AM | #111
I think some people that call for a biochem nerf arent really getting it.
The problem isnt as much biochem as it is with the lack of utility from other crew skills.

Artifice: You can make pink lightsaber crystals (if you have the recipe) and is pretty much only good for that. The hilts and crystals are complely useless since you can get better from flashpoints/operations/warzones( to a degree) and simply turning in daily commendations. Yes you can make relics, but big woop you can get better ones from the afformentioned activities.

Synthweaving: Big woop, you can make belts and bracers. Mildly better then gear you can get from Flashpoints/Operations/Warzones. There is no use for it.

Armortech: Same as synthweaving. No use.

Armstech: Same as Artifice, although I dont think you can make the pink crystals. again big woop, its useless.

Cybertech: The only crew skill that is midly any good next to Biochem, can make grenades on a 5 minute CD, big woop, 5 minute CD is once per boss fight, Its pretty much useless but atleast less useless then the other crew skills.

Biochem: its usefull not just for implants but for the re-useable effects on items you can discover by either RE or by getting the special mats from Flashpoints/Operations.

Yes, Biochem is EXTREMELY strong, but only because the other crew skills are EXTREMELY weak. Biochem doesnt need another nerf, Fact is the current nerfs that effect biochem are silly and were only needed to bring it down too the usefullness of the other skills and still its more powerfull. Fact is The problem isnt biochem the problem is the other crewskills not adding anything to this game or the GTN money making bussiness that validates lvling them on any character. If gear wasnt so piss easy to get and the other skills could make Hilts/barrels/Augments whatever on the same level or slightly better then what Flashpoint/Operations/Warzones/Daily missions can provide the other Crew Skills would be great and you would probably see alot more people with those skills around.
I love and hate crafting in any game but what many companies miss is the fact that they need to make a choice to make crafting usefull or just some useless timesink for players to use. Bioware doesnt seem to know what way to go just yet.

Give the other crew skills similar dmg/healing/tanking benefits as biochem gives rather then nerfing biochem where the people of lesser comprehension are screaming about.

Loregaba's Avatar


Loregaba
02.18.2012 , 10:37 AM | #112
"Time to end Biochem reusable"...

After trying a whole bunch of crew skills to finally discover one that suits me, grinding it to 400 with bioanalysis and diplomacy, spending a lot of money, sacrificing gear in the process: NO WAY!

Just improve the others. Player crafting rare and raid loot should be the best gear.

Sqyre's Avatar


Sqyre
02.18.2012 , 12:19 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Loregaba View Post
"Time to end Biochem reusable"...

After trying a whole bunch of crew skills to finally discover one that suits me, grinding it to 400 with bioanalysis and diplomacy, spending a lot of money, sacrificing gear in the process: NO WAY!

Just improve the others. Player crafting rare and raid loot should be the best gear.
I disagree completely with your second statement, you left out pvp gear wich should be the best gear for pvp, wheather you like pvp or not it is not fair to force the pvpers to pve in order to max out there gear.

schwiz's Avatar


schwiz
02.18.2012 , 12:40 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Chunkie View Post
Like the title says, i think it's time to end this. It clearly is overpowering because having a free heal, free adrenals and free stims is just too powerful.

Even Biochemists should want this change, because with so many biochemists, the market for stims and medpacs is just not there.

The perks for a biochemist should be stronger stim/adrenals/medpacs for their own use only. Change the reusables to the Exotech (requiring 400 biochem to use), and drop their mats to only requiring one Radioactive Paste (4 is absurd).

Adrenals are too expensive currently. A good start would be to cut their mats by half.

For ops schematics, make the Exotech have a 4 hour duration that anybody can use (and requiring 4 Radioactive Paste).

The other crafting skills aren't broken. Some require tweeks, but they ARE viable. It's just when people compare them to Biochem, they see it as useless. When people look up stims and see that 2 stims is the same price as a reusable, it's a no-brainer that stims are a ripoff or/and that biochem reusables is too fantastic to not have.

Horrible idea, how about instead other professions get some awesome reusable stuff?
cybertech: repair bot that can be dropped down for ops/hardmodes, an item that can battle rez someone.
armortech/synthweaving: boots that can be activiated to increase run speed by 15% for 30 seconds.
Not sure about other crafts I'm sure the devs could come up with some cool stuff though. Make crafting actually fun!

JujuManiac's Avatar


JujuManiac
02.18.2012 , 12:46 PM | #115
The real problem is, that the best Medipack I can craft for Non-Biochems uses 2 Green Tier 5 Mats (Red Goo and Quick Grow Agent). With Bionanlysis I get 3 Missions in this Tier for the white Mats that you can buy at the Crew Skill vendor. Then there is ONE Mission for Compunds and 1 for Samples.

Each of these Missions get 3 times out of 4 the wrong material and not the Red Goo dn Quick Growth Agent.

Just look in the Marketplace. 1 green mat tier 5 "Quick Grow Agent" goes for 3.600k if it is cheap, and up to 5k. Even for these prices there are often only 30-40 availabe. If I buy the mats on AH I must pay 16.000 Credits to craft a green medipack for my guildmates. If I try to get the Mats via bioanaylsis it takes endless time (because I only get 1 Mission) and creds.

Just increase the rate that these very important mats are gathered through bionanalysis and delete these completly useless missiosn for syringes at tier 5. 1 syringe costs 10 creds at the crew skill vendor, I DON'T need 3 Missions for that in tier 5.

If these green tier 5 mats would be equally easy availabe as the most tier 5 green mats, than you would see blue Med-/Buff-/Adrenals at the AH for very reasonable prices. Now I pay 16k+ to craft 1 green Medpack, so nobody bothers to craft them because no one will buy them at these prices.

Mats for products that are used up must be easy and cheap to get, so that everybody crafts these consumables. Then every Non-Biochem can buy cheap stacks at the AH and nodoby loses.

I have 500+ blue Mats for Tier 5 and 6, I even have more Mandalorian Iron than these critical mats for consumables. An as the mats are tier 5, the 340 missions from the top slicing tier aren't useful to get them.

havok_bloodcraft's Avatar


havok_bloodcraft
02.18.2012 , 03:22 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by schwiz View Post
Horrible idea, how about instead other professions get some awesome reusable stuff?
cybertech: repair bot that can be dropped down for ops/hardmodes, an item that can battle rez someone.
armortech/synthweaving: boots that can be activiated to increase run speed by 15% for 30 seconds.
Not sure about other crafts I'm sure the devs could come up with some cool stuff though. Make crafting actually fun!
cybertech idea is good and has been used before it worked for engineering in wow and everyone liked it.

Armormech/synthweaving: who remembers the leatherworking stuff from wow that boosted the armor/end/crit of the item you applied it to and the best versions were a lot better but required leatherworking. Something like this would be good.

Armstech/artifice: Sharpening stones/weights and increase damage for 30mins by let's say 5% and let's have them re into ones that are reusable for arms/art users. this has been effective before and give the a req skill to use.

Wouldn't adding things like this help alot more than just nerfing the only one that acts right.

ZudetGambeous's Avatar


ZudetGambeous
02.18.2012 , 04:00 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Corran View Post
since biochem crafted implants are not best in slot - rakata from dailies are - the value to end game money making for the profession won't be anywhere near on par as it will be with synthweaveing/armormech/armstech for those that have the resources and the will to farm biometrics and make crafted moddable gear
Well I can't speak for all classes, but for Sage/Sorc the Biochem implants are VASTLY superior to the rakata daily ones. Like by 30-40 stat points.

Even a crit crafted Prototype implant is of similar quality to the rakata ones, and the Artifact ones aren't even a contest.
I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream. Even without the Force, he is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine."

GlaDOSowen's Avatar


GlaDOSowen
02.18.2012 , 04:12 PM | #118
I was running around on my Imperial Agent (he was only level 11-12), and some guy was giving away a free reusable med-pack. In receiving it, I tried it out for awhile, and it didn't seem like it needed to be nerfed. I mean, you can only use it every 5-10 minutes, which, if you kept playing in that time, you could've more than likely have looted a normal med-pack of an enemy
<The Bastion>
Kaiserssk - Sniper

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
02.18.2012 , 05:56 PM | #119
Quote:
I'm guessing you mean things, like scavenging giving bonus endurance or some such? Or gives a certain temporary buff? Like in wow, having herbalism gave a haste buff?
If every crew skill were to get something similiar
That can be approached also, but I was speaking of the crafting skills more then the gathering or mission skills. In short, armortec being able to add an additonal slot to self only items, not unlike blacksmiths did in wow. Same idea, granting each skill its useful perk.




Quote:
I'd agree, but unless they do, it's better not to mess anymore with biochem as it is.
Agree. Nerfing Bio-chem as a stop-gap is fine, but absolutely develop end game perks for each crafting skill and allow bio-chem its reusable pots. I've never been able to comprehend the decision to nerf one item down because another has issues. Rendering all skills useless for end game, rather then develop viable options for the "other" skills does not improve the gaming experience, or the hope of longevity with participants. in short, it does not make sense beyond the worn out MMORPG concept of "harder means better". It does not, never has.

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
02.18.2012 , 06:01 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by JujuManiac View Post
The real problem is, that the best Medipack I can craft for Non-Biochems uses 2 Green Tier 5 Mats (Red Goo and Quick Grow Agent). With Bionanlysis I get 3 Missions in this Tier for the white Mats that you can buy at the Crew Skill vendor. Then there is ONE Mission for Compunds and 1 for Samples.

Each of these Missions get 3 times out of 4 the wrong material and not the Red Goo dn Quick Growth Agent.

Just look in the Marketplace. 1 green mat tier 5 "Quick Grow Agent" goes for 3.600k if it is cheap, and up to 5k. Even for these prices there are often only 30-40 availabe. If I buy the mats on AH I must pay 16.000 Credits to craft a green medipack for my guildmates. If I try to get the Mats via bioanaylsis it takes endless time (because I only get 1 Mission) and creds.

Just increase the rate that these very important mats are gathered through bionanalysis and delete these completly useless missiosn for syringes at tier 5. 1 syringe costs 10 creds at the crew skill vendor, I DON'T need 3 Missions for that in tier 5.

If these green tier 5 mats would be equally easy availabe as the most tier 5 green mats, than you would see blue Med-/Buff-/Adrenals at the AH for very reasonable prices. Now I pay 16k+ to craft 1 green Medpack, so nobody bothers to craft them because no one will buy them at these prices.

Mats for products that are used up must be easy and cheap to get, so that everybody crafts these consumables. Then every Non-Biochem can buy cheap stacks at the AH and nodoby loses.

I have 500+ blue Mats for Tier 5 and 6, I even have more Mandalorian Iron than these critical mats for consumables. An as the mats are tier 5, the 340 missions from the top slicing tier aren't useful to get them.
Whole nother issue friend, one that I completely agree with you on. Currently I am attempting to make my level 40 items. I am constantly getting mats, such as red-goo, which are used for higher recipees. It almost appears ***-backwards.

....but yes, very, very valid point.