Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where is the pvp skill?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Where is the pvp skill?

revned
02.15.2012 , 01:39 PM | #1
WoW was my first MMO...I didnt do the whole EQ or Lineage thing although I always heard good things about them

I do, however, remember playing wow not long after it was released and having so much fun in that game. When bg's were brought into that game and people were really experimenting with the full potential of their characters/abilities and their ability to play them things got to be so much fun.

Watching people get wrecked/humiliated/dominated was the best part...especially when it was a 2v1 fight and the 2 lost. People had CD's that were used appropriately and you had to think about when to use them and it greatly decided the outcome of what you were doing.

This game has taken CD's to a whole new "spammable" level. Everybody's stuns stay on CD, everyones knockbacks stay on CD...If you pick up the ball in huttball, see how many people swarm you (as they should), but start counting the amount of stuns on you at the same time....i've counted up to 4. Stuns and cd's have just become a reaction to everyone as much as hitting your movement key...i wouldnt be surprised if some people have their stun bound to one of their movement keys.

No skill needed....whoever has the most cd's up usually wins now. Shame on you for not having yours up when this guy attacking you blew trinkets and everything else that wasn't greyed out on his action bars.

How can we get back to having a skill based game?
L2

Dahoff
02.15.2012 , 01:40 PM | #2
The skill is in that +expertise stat yo!
INFANTRY - Ajunta Pall
Igotyoubro Beans - 50 Bromando Combat Medic
Franksn Beans - 13 Jedi Sage

Cubertt
02.15.2012 , 01:41 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Dahoff View Post
yea bc when people have even expertise thats still an excuse...

revned
02.15.2012 , 01:42 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Dahoff View Post
Is this like the time mages couldnt be killed in WoW? They were 2 shotting people in the 20's bracket..and 30's...and 40's...etc etc...but blizzard came out and said, "it's ok, resilience will fix this issue"
L2

Ancient_karp
02.15.2012 , 01:46 PM | #5
If you don't believe there is skill in pvp, then you're not playing enough. Our server has BM players that are good and players that are terrible. As they have the same level of gear, the difference has to be the organic thing behind the keyboard.

You know who the good players are. They're the one you say "Oh crap, there's *****" when you see them in a warzone. They have the skill to bring out the best in their toon and in their team.

Dahoff
02.15.2012 , 01:49 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cubertt View Post
yea bc when people have even expertise thats still an excuse...
I know you like me and want to follow me around on the forums and stuff but if you're going to do that, you need to be able to detect sarcasm. Thanks bro.
INFANTRY - Ajunta Pall
Igotyoubro Beans - 50 Bromando Combat Medic
Franksn Beans - 13 Jedi Sage

adrenalinee
02.15.2012 , 01:49 PM | #7
Double everyone's health. Making healing 1.5x what it is now. Make losing cost you credits. See mass players with no skills leave. See guilds that coordinate and focus fire down people with nice switches.

Make gear less relevant.

Oh and by the way, watch how server population dwindles.

There's no such thing as real PvP anymore because the mass amount of players in all gaming are casual players that don't want to risk anything.

CS used to be 1 round per life. BF3, you respawn every 6 seconds.

Shadowbane, you used to lose cities. UO, you used to lose your loot. In WoW, you make a graveyard run. In SWTOR, you spawn right where you died (in world PvP).

Diminishing Returns have gone the way of Resolve bar in this game too.

Too complicated to set up different variables for snares, roots, stuns, and incapacitates, obviously.

Sourceerror
02.15.2012 , 01:50 PM | #8
Even with terrible concepts for PvP there is always a level of skill. Player skill is always a factor even if it's weight is significantly reduced by terrible design. That being said. Stop being bad.

Pwny_Express
02.15.2012 , 01:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ancient_karp View Post
If you don't believe there is skill in pvp, then you're not playing enough. Our server has BM players that are good and players that are terrible. As they have the same level of gear, the difference has to be the organic thing behind the keyboard.

You know who the good players are. They're the one you say "Oh crap, there's *****" when you see them in a warzone. They have the skill to bring out the best in their toon and in their team.
A great case for removing expertise from the game. A useless stat once everyone has it you might as well not have any.
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Better advice was never given.

revned
02.15.2012 , 01:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sourceerror View Post
Even with terrible concepts for PvP there is always a level of skill. Player skill is always a factor even if it's weight is significantly reduced by terrible design. That being said. Stop being bad.
Clearly I'm bad when im stunned to death, literally. Use my CC breaker to be stunned again...man im bad!
L2