Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Inequality between "equal" classes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Inequality between "equal" classes.

darthbored
12.15.2011 , 05:51 PM | #21
umm if you notice they're both instant. they damage at the same time. its just the graphics isnt instant on the consulars ability.

Colobulous
12.15.2011 , 05:51 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jmjohnson View Post
I couldnít help but notice that some of the jedi consularís abilities, like project, have to travel to their enemy before they do any damage. However, inquisitor's lightning spells hit instantly.
You are correct, they have made some mistakes in implementation that while they seem appropriate thematically, are not all at all suitable mechanically.

This is why I've said to people before that theorycrafting is something game developers need to understand. When they don't, they create systems that do not work very well.

Quote:
The solution: give inquisitorís lightning spells a delay equal to the consularís delay before the spell takes effect. This delay could be seamlessly executed as a short casting graphic, such as lightning forming in the casterís hand for a half a second before they cast.
I think they announced an intent to patch the consular's spell.

jmjohnson
12.15.2011 , 05:52 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Heckrix View Post
See what you did wrong is to want to nerf inquisitor, that makes you a hater, those are not fun, What you should of done is ask for a consular buff, then possibly mention the nerf.
I really don't care how they balance it, as long as they are equal at the end.
Squadron 1020 and 367 beta tester.

PleaseRespond
12.15.2011 , 05:54 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by jmjohnson View Post
I couldnít help but notice that some of the jedi consularís abilities, like project, have to travel to their enemy before they do any damage. However, inquisitor's lightning spells hit instantly.

The advantage may seem inconsequential at first, but when it comes to PvP, being able to instantly hit your target is a serious advantage. Ask any serious PvPer the value of having a single second on your enemy in a fight. Itís the difference between getting a stun off before the enemy finishes casting a heal, or getting a killing blow or hitting them before they hit you with their instant lightning even though you cast first. Every time a consularís killing blow is denied by a heal they will say to themselves ďIf I had rolled inquisitor, I would have won.Ē

Just think about how different the star wars saga would've been if Han's blaster took an extra second longer to shoot than Greedo's.

The solution: give inquisitorís lightning spells a delay equal to the consularís delay before the spell takes effect. This delay could be seamlessly executed as a short casting graphic, such as lightning forming in the casterís hand for a half a second before they cast.

I would prefer to play consular over inquisitor, but if this inequality is not dealt with I will have to go inquisitor; and I urge any other serious PvPers to do the same.
They will most likely fix it, it is pretty imbalanced. Ignore the carebears who have no idea as it won't really affect their hard scripted fights.

Lord_of_Stone
12.15.2011 , 05:54 PM | #25
Animation takes time, damage does not. They are equal.

The only inequality between the two is the fact that Soc. has HOTs while sage has burst healing.
KablahiSuraki TyractEnli

IntileFlight PharyaVindor

darthbored
12.15.2011 , 05:56 PM | #26
i think hes just trying to troll. if he tested it out at all he would realize as soon as you cast either spell, theres like a 0.3 sec delay then the dmg occurs, AT THE SAME TIME.

he must have just gotten dominated by a sorcerer in pvp

Dirtybomb
12.15.2011 , 05:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SilverBlasters View Post
I may be wrong, but you're incorrect.
What you see on your screen is a graphical representation of a roll happening in the background. Even if the number appears .5 seconds or whatever later when playing a Consular, the actual damage is applies when the ability is activated on the server, regardless of whether you're a consular or an inquisitor.
I admit that his complaint is silly and minor, but I have noticed the same thing between blaster bolts and rockets. Dmg is done to the target as soon as I hit the key (but before the bolt gets there), but with rockets the dmg does not occur until the rocket reaches its target. It is not uncommon for my target to have started falling to the ground dead when the killing blow is from a blaster, but never happens with a rocket.

If this were a lag issue between the UI and the server actually getting the command, wouldn't that lag be consistent across abilities?

Colobulous
12.15.2011 , 05:58 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by darthbored View Post
i think hes just trying to troll. if he tested it out at all he would realize as soon as you cast either spell, theres like a 0.3 sec delay then the dmg occurs, AT THE SAME TIME.

Really, you haven't seen the numerous other reports of the same problem, so you're blaming the OP?

Yeah, that's productive.

Spend your time looking for the developer responses to it, they have acknowledged the issue.

jmjohnson
12.15.2011 , 06:04 PM | #29
Oh I get what's really going on here with all of the flamers. Their panties are all bunched because they haven't gotten into the game yet.
Squadron 1020 and 367 beta tester.

Wishpig
12.15.2011 , 06:06 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by darthbored View Post

Lets stop with the instantly assuming people are trolls. I think it's extremely obvious he ISN'T a troll.

That doesn't mean he's right, but all you have to do is counter his argument and explain why he's incorrect. Why the instant hostility and insults?