Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people bash Tracer Missile spam? What else are we supposed to do?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why do people bash Tracer Missile spam? What else are we supposed to do?

Kentontudor
02.15.2012 , 09:29 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JoeGotBored View Post
The reason people complain about it, is that they are either being hit by crits from a much better geared merc, or they are inexperienced enough to know how to counter it. Mine usually only hit for over 2k if it is a crit, 4k is only something I have seen when adrenals and relics are going and I hit a severely undergeared player. It is a 1.5 second cast time, and it is usually cast in succession, which makes it very easy to interrupt, knock back, line of sight, stun, or cc to block an incoming cast.

And to those who complain about a one button class, that is an exaggeration as well. Unless I'm just completely ignored by classes that have cc, interupts, or gap closers (all of them) a typical fight I will be using many of my abilities tracer missile, rail shot, heatseeker missile, rapid shots, missile blast, unload, my stun, my cc, rocket punch, jet boost, etc... If you think it is all about 1 ability you are delusional, go level a merc and see.

There have been dozens of threads on the topic, no need for a new one every day.

I completely agree. Good Arsenal Mercs will use all the abilities you said but people won't understand it until they play the class.

And there have been dozens of threads about every topic. There would be no more message boards if people didn't rinse and repeat... Just saying.
TonyPerkis - Arsenal Mercenary

DaniWes
02.15.2012 , 09:31 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Remulan View Post
And mercs wish they had an interupt like every other AC in the game or some way to escape being focused.
Two knockbacks, a ranged stun and a shield with interrupt immunity sounds pretty decent to me.
Played WoW for 5 years, SWG for 3 years, Rift for 6 months, AoC for 4 months, Aion for 2 months, Sorc Wars The Old Republic for 2 months.
Class Division in SWTOR

Kentontudor
02.15.2012 , 09:32 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Auhfel View Post
I think tracer missile spammers are hilarious. Typical exchange with a tracer missile spammer on my jugg --

Tracer missile starts casting-
Force Charge intterupt.
Tracer missile immediately begins casting again.
Interrupted with interrupt skill, 4s blockout.
Tracer missile spammer runs.. or casts some other non-issue skill.
Tracer missile spammer begins to cast it again.
4 second stun on spammer, interrupting it.
After stun wears, he tries to spam it again.
Interrupt again, since it's now off CD.
Stun again.

It's hilarious fighting the mercs who don't know they have skills other than tracer missile.

^ Even if we do use the other skills we have, it's nearly impossible to 1v1 a melee class with the same level gear as you that knows how to interrupt.
TonyPerkis - Arsenal Mercenary

Tumri
02.15.2012 , 09:34 AM | #24
People hate classes that take minimal skill is all. You have about 3 abilities to keep track of outside of cooldowns. It's very very simple and does not take skill.
Wrath
Pre-Launch Hardcore Guild that has moved on to better games.
www.wrathnation.com

Aharx
02.15.2012 , 09:37 AM | #25
Read your other skills. Put some thought and strategy into your game. How fun could it possibly be to just hit one button over and over again? You aren't using your classes full potential if you just use one skill. I am sure there are DOTs, CCs, etc. that you could be applying instead of just Tracers over and over... and over... and over... and over. As an Immortal spec'd Juggernaut I think I use anywhere from 15-20 skills regularly.
Aharx Pasari
Smuggler- Scoundrel: Sawbones
<<<--- GFF --->>>
"She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts."

Axlah
02.15.2012 , 09:39 AM | #26
Speaking as a Merc I really hope they rework the tree my burst being dependent on a ability with a such a obvious cast animation is a handicap against anyone with a brain and a interrupt.

Aharx
02.15.2012 , 09:39 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by jellosandwich View Post
I think it gets a bad rap because of the high number of mercs who aren't just spamming it to stack for unload, but spamming it because that's all they know.

I've lost track of the number of times I've interrupted a tracer spammer, and they literally just stand still for 4 seconds, never cast anything else, because they're so confused that their 1 button doesn't work
Exactly this. I've interupted one only to have them wait a few seconds... hit it again, interupt again... have them wait. Read the skill descriptions for other skills! You should always be prepared for an interupt with something else in your arsenal.
Aharx Pasari
Smuggler- Scoundrel: Sawbones
<<<--- GFF --->>>
"She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts."

Redial
02.15.2012 , 09:41 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Aharx View Post
Read your other skills. Put some thought and strategy into your game. How fun could it possibly be to just hit one button over and over again?
- 50 jugg main, 50 merc alt

people act like everyone who plays a merc designed the class to be stupid. Well i have news for you! we had no idea how stupid it was going to be when we rolled it, but now we have a 50 and we arent going to delete it just because of tracer missile!

I run the 24/17/x werdan spec which is gold, but when there is no healing to be done, yes i have to tracer spam. I say have to because if my knockbacks are on cooldown there is little else to do. As a hybrid spec there is no buff to unload and railshot has always been little more than garbage in my eyes.

tl;dr heal spec is the only decent merc spec until you have the gear to make pyro viable,
but its not our fault the class "takes less skill" than other classes! we didnt know!

Undorett
02.15.2012 , 09:48 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DaniWes View Post
Two knockbacks, a ranged stun and a shield with interrupt immunity sounds pretty decent to me.
Interrupt immunity on shield is heal spec, not arsenal spec

Quote: Originally Posted by Aharx View Post
Read your other skills. Put some thought and strategy into your game. How fun could it possibly be to just hit one button over and over again? You aren't using your classes full potential if you just use one skill. I am sure there are DOTs, CCs, etc. that you could be applying instead of just Tracers over and over... and over... and over... and over. As an Immortal spec'd Juggernaut I think I use anywhere from 15-20 skills regularly.
We only have 5 other single target ranged abilities:
1 stun 60s cooldown
1 finisher move 15s cooldown
1 channeled 15s cooldown
1 rail shot, needs to have tracer applied or we cant even shoot it 15s cooldown
1 rapid shots, our no cost ability that does very little damage

We have like 6 aoes which we all use when you fools group up, 2 heals, a mez (very situational in pvp), outside of this we have 2 melee abilities one we all spec for a 4 meter knockback on so its useful in huttball and useless everywhere else - the other doesn't work in pvp, of the two other ranged abilities we have 1 is far too high of a heat usage (25% of our power for 1600 damage when it crits) and power shot which is replaced by Tracer Missile...

What do you people want arsenal mercs to cast? After 1-2 tracer missiles, i only cast tracer when the rest of my single target abilities are on cooldown...which is still very often

savionen
02.15.2012 , 09:50 AM | #30
I've got a 50, but been leveling up a Vanguard.

In the 10-49 bracket, I'm 44 now and there's ALWAYS 1-2 49 twink Mercenaries. ALL they do is Tracer Missile spam, even though they have other skills. If I interrupt their Tracer Missile every once in awhile I'll see an Unload, but that's it.

Aside from their idiocy they still spam 2500 damage attacks on heavy armor, and in the 10-49 bracket you've only got 11500-12000 health.