Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Your opinion on an isolated, sandbox PvP area

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Your opinion on an isolated, sandbox PvP area

CapuchinSeven
02.15.2012 , 06:17 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by VoidSpectre View Post
That's the thing guys. It's not that people these days don't want to experience sandbox like PVP. It's that this only works with rewards.

Whether or not you want the rewards is not important. You know that if you want PVP you go where people PVP for items because people will be there.

Developers need to stop being stubborn, and also stop listening to sandbox purists because people these days PVP where the rewards are. And if the game rewards the fun parts of PVP then it will be successful. If the rewards come from fun people will have fun getting rewards.

It's sad but this is the way MMOs work these days and instead of fighting it, DEVS should work around it and a great game will be made.
It's sad but it's pretty much true what you're saying.

I noticed this finally in Age of Conan, when the game released we had some utterly epic open world planned role-play battles between "good" guilds and "bad" guilds. One of the best had our group move in to save a woman from being sacrificed on the high peak of the Sanctum and a player was casting a channelled spell, making the whole sky above us turn black from the really cool spell effects.

BUT the forums were full of "PVP r need teh reason" and pretty soon PVP like that stopped and it became a cookie grind.
I know chop-knees.

VoidSpectre
02.15.2012 , 06:22 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SkyCats View Post
If you don't do something "because there are no rewards for it", means you don't really like doing it.
did you read my post? I PVP because I like PVP but people only flock to where PVP rewards are. So even if you just want to PVP you go to these reward areas because that is where people are to fight. I'm not going to wander around an empty area...

So DEVS need to stop being dumb and start rewarding the fun parts. So that people who play for rewards collide with people who play for fun and it becomes fun for all.

Ugugg
02.15.2012 , 06:31 AM | #13
I like the idea, but as pointed out it would only work with some kind of rewards.

For example.

If each planet had a pvp objective, lets call it a beacon for now and if you faction owns it, then everyone on the planet gets 5% more or something. 5% more creds from quests/ or xp / or valor / or in combat regen / unlocks a daily quest hub or something else.

This could encourage people who are not level 50 to participate as well if they wish. (fact that its easy to level is a different problem). Maybe use the warzone 'boast' for ppl not L50 to bridge some of the gap.

If you were to measure which side had the most beacons and the beacons owned, (must have at least 3 beacons), then make that faction have a server wide benefit. Something along the lines.

Also it should reset at intervals so that once you gain that benefit it can't be switched for x hours.

Food for thought
- If the server wide buff was say 5% endurance/main stat in Operations/Fps or something. Guilds might oraganise an extra hour to go out their way to get the 'beacons' for your faction so that it helps with their ops. a.k.a stimulate ppl to do these objectives and organised guilds might do it.

I like the idea, but giving ppl an incentive andbalancing the incentive is the tricky part. Think faction imbalance.

Viree
02.15.2012 , 09:26 AM | #14
did you read my post? I PVP because I like PVP but people only flock to where PVP rewards are. So even if you just want to PVP you go to these reward areas because that is where people are to fight. I'm not going to wander around an empty area...

So DEVS need to stop being dumb and start rewarding the fun parts. So that people who play for rewards collide with people who play for fun and it becomes fun for all.
The thing is almost no one would play Warzones or do Ilum **** if they didn't get rewarded. But I don't think this is at all due to people requiring rewards to do PvP; it's because those 'battlegrounds' are just unimaginative, dull and repetitive. They're more of a chore than they are an enjoyable game. This was just as true in WoW, which is incidentally why they introduced PvP rewards to begin with, because their PvP grounds were primitive and boring without it. We can see evidence of this in most pre-WoW MMO's that did PvP right. Which sadly seem to be unknown/ignored by modern MMO developers, likely because all of them have become obsessed with getting as rich as Blizzard off of peoples stupidity instead of making a good game.

All you need for PvP is a system where the actual goals are fun. DAOC had similar battlegrounds, but they weren't boring. You had to take castles, beat strong NPCs with your group whilst fending off defender players. The same is true of LOTRO Monsterplay which is also quite fun to play without needing a carrot on the stick. The actual rewards you got from either of those are pretty negligible yet they got played more than WoW/TOR style Warzones. Take Monsterplay for example, it's a persistent map where taking castles etc actually has an effect on everyone playing there. In TOR WZ's, everything is just reset in 15 minutes. No one cares because there's no way to care.

It's a bizarre phenomenon that game developers often take steps backwards rather than forwards with a lot of stuff. PvP has certainly only got less imaginative in the last half decade than it was prior to it. Really you'd think after well over a decade that MMO PvP would have matured beyond "Carry this ball across that line", "Defend two doors" and "Capture three turrets". @ all of that... yawwwwwn.

oblongship
02.15.2012 , 09:39 AM | #15
They have it. It's called Outlaws Den. And despite all the loud, repetitive forum cries for sandbox PVP areas... GUESS WHAT? No one is ever there

Why? Well because, like many things, the loud vocal sandbox minority made the devs think that this was important, when it was implemented it was shown that no one cared about it.
Then maybe the rewards for going there aren't good enough? Maybe the DEV should give people more purpose to go there?

BoDiE
02.15.2012 , 09:46 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Mangzane View Post
Hello there everyone!

Long Story short, I went to a city/town/hub, whatever you want to call it, owned by the Empire. I, being a lvl 50 republic player in PvP gear, naturally wanted to attack the guards, and any players unfortunate enough to be inside. I dunno, maybe, take over?

Then I realized, I could kill all of the guards, wait 10 minutes, and they would be back as if nothing happened.

My PvP actions would have no consequences within the world, and so I simply got on my ship, and logged off.

Warzones are fun, but I would like to go out in the world of Star Wars, and make a difference somehow.

There have been several 5 star threads on creating PvP zones, with a sandbox culture.

TL;DR What are your opinions on installing a sandbox environment? What do you do to enjoy PvP besides constant Warzones? Do you think we will soon see any changes to this PvP play style?

All comments and opinions are welcomed. Cheers!
We both know you mean restuss. Wouldn't be a bad idea. I think factional bases randomly spawning on different planets that need a full ops group to destroy it.
epicfail
Nothing ever good comes from gaming forums.

cycao
02.15.2012 , 09:47 AM | #17
being able to take over towns on pvp servers would be the bees knees

Khadroth
02.15.2012 , 09:52 AM | #18
They have it. It's called Outlaws Den. And despite all the loud, repetitive forum cries for sandbox PVP areas... GUESS WHAT? No one is ever there

Why? Well because, like many things, the loud vocal sandbox minority made the devs think that this was important, when it was implemented it was shown that no one cared about it.
Absolutely untrue. The plain and simple reason I don't go there? No daily quest for it, which makes it useless for Battlemasters.

BW's only incentive to go there is for a long spawn chest that gives 20 merc comms, vs ilum where I get bonus valor on every WZ and can farm kills in between Queues. The choice is obvious.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

YanksfanJP
02.15.2012 , 09:55 AM | #19
Just create an objectiveless, complete Team Deathmatch warzone so all the mindless kiddies can do their Call of Duty pvp in a box without caring about capping stuff. That's what they really want anyway, and it will get them out of the objective warzones the rest of us enjoy.
I'm not arrogant. I'm just aware of my greatness.

KeprOfScritz
02.15.2012 , 09:59 AM | #20
On the Iron Council server there are PvP tournaments held at the Outlaws Den. I've seen one every month since the start. Usually its a 2v2 or a 3v3 with rules and enforcers of said rules. So far the total prize credits have been in the range of 1.5 mil. 750k to first place.
The Ultimate Weapon
<-=PRIMUS ARMA=->
Iron Citadel - US East