Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Do you "need" moddable gear of the right class but wrong stat?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Do you "need" moddable gear of the right class but wrong stat?

Sylriana's Avatar


Sylriana
02.15.2012 , 12:20 AM | #1
Just curious, I got in an argument with a guildmate over the subject earlier today and wondered what other people thought.

The example here would be say, rolling on a moddable aim heavy armor piece as a guardian with the intent of replacing the mods while grouped with a trooper who'd consider the piece an upgrade? Or should the trooper get priority? Sorcerer rolling on a str lightsaber ( or vice versa for a guard/sent) if you'd prefer.

Felcat's Avatar


Felcat
02.15.2012 , 01:12 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylriana View Post
Just curious, I got in an argument with a guildmate over the subject earlier today and wondered what other people thought.

The example here would be say, rolling on a moddable aim heavy armor piece as a guardian with the intent of replacing the mods while grouped with a trooper who'd consider the piece an upgrade? Or should the trooper get priority? Sorcerer rolling on a str lightsaber ( or vice versa for a guard/sent) if you'd prefer.

Personally I think it's very inappropriate to roll need on a Mod-able item when there is some one in the part who could use it right away, without stripping and replacing mods.

If however, you say don't have a member who uses the piece of gear, and you ask the party if anyone has a problem with you rolling to strip it, that's fine.


But no, you don't to roll on a 1 handed Str Light Saber as a Sorcerer when you have A Jugg or Mara you needs the item as is.

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.15.2012 , 01:14 AM | #3
If it's an upgrade for someone, it should go to this person(people). If it's not an upgrade for anyone (but pets), and if I like the way it looks, I'd need it.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

HeavenlyBluE's Avatar


HeavenlyBluE
02.15.2012 , 01:58 AM | #4
You're in a pug group... roll need on whatever you want to use for yourself or your pets. Why would you pass on loot that you want to people who you don't group with regularly/aren't in your guild?

Felcat's Avatar


Felcat
02.15.2012 , 02:26 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavenlyBluE View Post
You're in a pug group... roll need on whatever you want to use for yourself or your pets. Why would you pass on loot that you want to people who you don't group with regularly/aren't in your guild?
Because you don't want to be a greedy, self serving jerk, and spread that sort of behavior?

Helig's Avatar


Helig
02.15.2012 , 06:44 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Felcat View Post
Because you don't want to be a greedy, self serving jerk, and spread that sort of behavior?
Pretty much. If I want something for the appearance, I usually warn the group beforehand so that we can decide if we should go together, or go separate ways.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Ephesia's Avatar


Ephesia
02.15.2012 , 06:57 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavenlyBluE View Post
You're in a pug group... roll need on whatever you want to use for yourself or your pets. Why would you pass on loot that you want to people who you don't group with regularly/aren't in your guild?
I hope I am not playing in the realms you play.

AsheraII's Avatar


AsheraII
02.15.2012 , 07:29 AM | #8
I'll roll need if the armorclass is right and I find it a visual upgrade. If this upsets someone, I'll maybe offer to supply whoever lost the roll and was of the appropriate class with the exact same mods that the orange had. It's not that hard to craft them anyway. Or to visit the GTN, plenty of mods there too. Guildies get this offer right away if the situation occurs.

Basically, stats aren't that special on orange drops, especially not in leveling flashpoints. It's their appearance that makes orange drops special.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

JamieKirby's Avatar


JamieKirby
02.15.2012 , 07:38 AM | #9
Well, i tend to need on items that has the right stats that my class needs, i do NOT need on items that do not have other stats.

The Item you are referring to is a trooper armour piece, which means you would be looking like a Jedi Guardian in clone trooper looking armour...that just makes no sense to me.

MeanMartian's Avatar


MeanMartian
02.15.2012 , 07:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Pretty much. If I want something for the appearance, I usually warn the group beforehand so that we can decide if we should go together, or go separate ways.
This is a good compromise, if you know you're going to want the orange pretty well in advance. If you don't know you want it before you see it, then yeah, it's not cool to rob someone of an upgrade for your own cosmetic needs.

Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I'll roll need if the armorclass is right and I find it a visual upgrade. If this upsets someone, I'll maybe offer to supply whoever lost the roll and was of the appropriate class with the exact same mods that the orange had. It's not that hard to craft them anyway. Or to visit the GTN, plenty of mods there too. Guildies get this offer right away if the situation occurs.

Basically, stats aren't that special on orange drops, especially not in leveling flashpoints. It's their appearance that makes orange drops special.
This is also a good compromise, if you're willing to invest the effort/credits into making it right, and assuming the person you beat in the roll already has an orange piece.
I don't care what you believe unless you can tell me why you believe it.