Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The reason Sorcerer/Sage CC is OP in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The reason Sorcerer/Sage CC is OP in PvP

Tumri
02.14.2012 , 08:43 PM | #21
@ Sorcerer Bubble - I don't really think it's OP. Without the bubble they're squishy. With the bubble they're either on par or better off than most in terms of squishyness. It's a class defining ability and their CC(which is way over the top right now) needs to be balanced with it in mind but the actual bubble isn't all that overpowered.
Wrath
Pre-Launch Hardcore Guild that has moved on to better games.
www.wrathnation.com

Dregas
02.14.2012 , 08:44 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Lormif View Post
Well seeing how it is the class move related to a fantasy rpg that most are used to, and what most people who like starwars relate to, yes, I did think they did that.
You know what? Lormif buddy you actually make a fantastic point here. Except the reason people are rerolling isn't the lore, it the part where you said, "seeing how it is the class move related to a fantasy rpg that most are used to."

I posted on this earlier, but in short a recent trend set by MMO Developers is to gimp melee classes and a create dominating caster classes. Everyone who has played MMOs KNEW that caster were going to be OP because that's what they are used to. Ice mages in WOW, Bright Wizards in War, Psy/radiation defenders in City of Heroes. All absolutely dominating classes that were light years ahead of every class.

They also were all considered "clothies" yet their spells/abilites made them so incredibly durable they could solo content and pvp like the melee classes could only dream of. And you know what? People are absolutely fine with it because of they wear "light armor".

Yet in the same breath if i complain that my tank class does awful dmg, no self heal to keep me alive, and "heavy armor" that mitigates NOTHING, those same people will tell me i am "working as intended." Because tanks, "are meant to be useless without their support."

WHAT?!

So do you see what I'm saying? When my guildies come to a new mmo with me they won't touch melee with a 10ft pole because they KNOW they are gonna be gimped. Instead they always opt for the caster, especially if it's a healing dmg hybrid. And so far they have been correct 100% of the time in the last 10 years. That right there is why everyone is rolling a Sorc, they are used to the mage like classes being a rock stars, so their amazing preformance is taken for granted and just downplayed as "business as usual."

sdlaurin
02.14.2012 , 08:44 PM | #23
dont cry about the game, if its bad and need changes just play something that isnt.

biowareftw
02.14.2012 , 08:45 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelticfury View Post
Probably because the FotM crowd chooses their class based on the cries of OP in forums.
Or experience and seeing bad players from other games that were guildmates, suddenly being "good" at pvp.
Einstein's relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists.- Nikola Tesla - New York Times (11 July 1935)

Lormif
02.14.2012 , 08:45 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aidank View Post
???

If you think star wars fans relate more to infinite force lightning from 8 people in a warzone more than jedi knights then I'm not sure what to tell you.
I think more people relate to the consular yes.

biowareftw
02.14.2012 , 08:49 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Dregas View Post
You know what? Lormif buddy you actually make a fantastic point here. Except the reason people are rerolling isn't the lore, it the part where you said, "seeing how it is the class move related to a fantasy rpg that most are used to."

I posted on this earlier, but in short a recent trend set by MMO Developers is to gimp melee classes and a create dominating caster classes. Everyone who has played MMOs KNEW that caster were going to be OP because that's what they are used to. Ice mages in WOW, Bright Wizards in War, Psy/radiation defenders in City of Heroes. All absolutely dominating classes that were light years ahead of every class.

They also were all considered "clothies" yet their spells/abilites made them so incredibly durable they could solo content and pvp like the melee classes could only dream of. And you know what? People are absolutely fine with it because of they wear "light armor".

Yet in the same breath if i complain that my tank class does awful dmg, no self heal to keep me alive, and "heavy armor" that mitigates NOTHING, those same people will tell me i am "working as intended." Because tanks, "are meant to be useless without their support."

WHAT?!

So do you see what I'm saying? When my guildies come to a new mmo with me they won't touch melee with a 10ft pole because they KNOW they are gonna be gimped. Instead they always opt for the caster, especially if it's a healing dmg hybrid. And so far they have been correct 100% of the time in the last 10 years. That right there is why everyone is rolling a Sorc, they are used to the mage like classes being a rock stars, so their amazing preformance is taken for granted and just downplayed as "business as usual."
Frost mages have never been this bad. I could actually stand playing a frost mage, because I at least had to time things, cast hard cc, and I could be countered.

My only counter playing as a hybrid sorc/sage was me dying of boredom before the warzone ended.

I already mastered this class years ago before we had gaming mice. It was called a shadow priest...except they were never this good (CC), and never this easy to play (don't have to shift in and out of shadow form). Other then that? The class is almost identical. It just has way too much CC/utility/dmg as a hybrid spec.
Einstein's relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists.- Nikola Tesla - New York Times (11 July 1935)

Aidank
02.14.2012 , 08:50 PM | #27
So they make a trilogy all about what is basically a jedi guardian, that follows a jedi guardian, and doesn't even have people throwing crap with the force until the relatively crappy second trilogy, and you're going to tell me that fans relate more to consulars than jedi guardians with no justification behind it?
Quote: Originally Posted by HileyQuiggley View Post
Nerf Grav Round are you serious? What else could we possibly do after that?

Aidank
02.14.2012 , 08:55 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
Frost mages have never been this bad. I could actually stand playing a frost mage, because I at least had to time things, cast hard cc, and I could be countered.

My only counter playing as a hybrid sorc/sage was me dying of boredom before the warzone ended.

I already mastered this class years ago before we had gaming mice. It was called a shadow priest...except they were never this good (CC), and never this easy to play (don't have to shift in and out of shadow form). Other then that? The class is almost identical. It just has way too much CC/utility/dmg as a hybrid spec.
I also played a shadow priest in wow, so naturally my first pick was a sorcerer.

It's pretty ridiculous, it's like they decided to give them the amazing shadow priest bubble, damage and defensive utility while also tacking on frost mage mobility and crowd control, an interrupt, and BETTER healing.

I didn't play during cataclysm, but last time I played frost mages were pretty balanced with their middling damage. Sorcerers have pretty much gotten the best mechanics from multiple wow classes.
Quote: Originally Posted by HileyQuiggley View Post
Nerf Grav Round are you serious? What else could we possibly do after that?

biowareftw
02.14.2012 , 08:56 PM | #29
LOL. No...

Of all the stories on the republic side the sage/shadow one is the most boring and poorly written and executed.

The only way you could relate to the class story is if you thought episodes 1-3 were AWESOME (when all the jedi became stupid, and walked around in ambien comas) compared to the original trilogy.

In which case I would tell you to google search redlettermedia.

Lormif
02.14.2012 , 08:57 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Aidank View Post
So they make a trilogy all about what is basically a jedi guardian, that follows a jedi guardian, and doesn't even have people throwing crap with the force until the relatively crappy second trilogy, and you're going to tell me that fans relate more to consulars than jedi guardians with no justification behind it?
about a jedi knight and his sister the consular you mean?