Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Clone Wars vs Old Clone wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
New Clone Wars vs Old Clone wars

bmhale's Avatar


bmhale
03.25.2012 , 06:46 AM | #21
I definitely prefer the 3D series. Admittedly I almost didn't give it a fighting chance, as the first season was not very good at all. The second was OK, but they've really broken out and gotten very good in the third and fourth seasons.

The 2D ones were definitely cool to watch, but it seemed like everything was far too exaggerated and single-character centered to really capture the scope of the war as the 3D one has. It's been some time since I watched them... but the ones that I remembeer seemed like more isolated skirmishes (or in SWTOR terms... Mace, Grevious, and Ventriss using their Heroic Moments), while the 3D one expands on it greatly to truly flesh out the War.

Quote: Originally Posted by Phorxx View Post
Ewok and Droids toons from the '80's ftw
I loved those as a kid... and I must admit, I got extremely excited when I picked those up for pennies on DVD at a BlockBuster that had met its demise

Canino's Avatar


Canino
03.25.2012 , 07:00 AM | #22
I must say the old ones where great for action, and Mace Windu was a beast, but the new ones go more in depth. The only thing I say would be some of the real recent ones with Boba Fett working with Bossk. What the heck! Did that really happen?
STATEMENT: I'm just a simple assassin...I mean bodyguard, master. You have nothing to fear.
---------

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
03.25.2012 , 09:26 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Canino View Post
I must say the old ones where great for action, and Mace Windu was a beast, but the new ones go more in depth. The only thing I say would be some of the real recent ones with Boba Fett working with Bossk. What the heck! Did that really happen?
Allot of BH's worked together for a certain bounty. I also think(This is just coming from my imagination) that those people are serving Boba because they use to work with Jango...
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

rebelscumbodybag's Avatar


rebelscumbodybag
03.25.2012 , 05:06 PM | #24
the new 1s are the stupidest **** i have ever seen...............honestly

TheBentOne's Avatar


TheBentOne
03.25.2012 , 06:18 PM | #25
The old ones didnt have Ahsoka. That automaticly makes them better.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

Forgon's Avatar


Forgon
03.25.2012 , 06:50 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
Eh... The old ones were stupid. I mean, really, if these events had happened in any other SW media, they'd be "lolwut"-ed at.

Mace Windu manages to take on an entire army of droids all by himself... Without a lightsaber... While in the movies, Jedi Masters are falling to individuals. And then you had the unkillable Dirge, who even after Obi-Wan beats him, does not die. It was a sound bite to be honest, good for action, story was not that well thought through.
This.

Let characters have their strengths and weakness, not be armies of Mary Sues who one-up each other by plot armor alone, or by just inconsistently making you stronger or weaker at any given moment.

Forget the clone army and being peace keepers, Mace Windu alone should have conquered a thousand systems with his bare fists.

Edit: This thread is asking for trouble btw.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
03.25.2012 , 07:36 PM | #27
The Original is the most superior one. Graphics, etc mean nothing overall. The story in the original were amazing and way more canon than TCW. The events depicted in Clone Wars actually made sense and led right up to the begining of Episode III..which I found sick. Watched the last episode of Season 2, then soon afterwards, watch Ep III in the movies right were the show left off...lets see TCW crap do that properly...oh wait...they can't!

TCW virtually remade everything between Ep II and Ep III...for the worst...I hope Ahsoka just dissapears forever when TCW ends...

And guess what...Grevious was an unstopped beast in Clone Wars...nothing could even come close to stopping him; only Mace Windu using force crush on Grevious' lungs hurt him.

The characters we know and love actually fought a lot as opposed to just standing around and talking for 90% of an episode in TCW and maybe a fight near the last 10 min...

Aitix's Avatar


Aitix
03.25.2012 , 08:00 PM | #28
The 3D Clone Wars series is superior to the 2D Clone Wars series in both action and depth. I mean, the micro-series is filled with stupid moments like the Battle of Dantooine and it barely has a plot. You don't even get to know who Durge is or who Asajj Ventress is. No depth. No reason to care about the Jedi. I mean, why should we? They'll just destroy all the droids with their god-like Force powers and on top of it, some of the droids just stand immobile during the action scenes while the Jedi slice them apart.

The CGI series on the other hand has it's flaws, but the action is more grounded in reality, the clones have actual personalities, the characters go through character development, death is common so you actually feel fear for the characters, and on top of it, it retconned Karen Traviss's works out of existence! How cool is that!?

So overall, Genndy's Tartavosky's Clone Wars micro-series can go to hell.

Toonimator's Avatar


Toonimator
03.25.2012 , 09:44 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
The Original is the most superior one. Graphics, etc mean nothing overall. The story in the original were amazing and way more canon than TCW. The events depicted in Clone Wars actually made sense and led right up to the begining of Episode III..which I found sick. Watched the last episode of Season 2, then soon afterwards, watch Ep III in the movies right were the show left off...lets see TCW crap do that properly...oh wait...they can't!

TCW virtually remade everything between Ep II and Ep III...for the worst...I hope Ahsoka just dissapears forever when TCW ends...

And guess what...Grevious was an unstopped beast in Clone Wars...nothing could even come close to stopping him; only Mace Windu using force crush on Grevious' lungs hurt him.

The characters we know and love actually fought a lot as opposed to just standing around and talking for 90% of an episode in TCW and maybe a fight near the last 10 min...
The Microseries was beautiful, and fun, but over-the-top ridiculous. It had VERY little story. It led right into Episode III because it was supposed to, just as Labyrinth of Evil did the EXACT SAME THING (with far greater depth) for the books, leading into ROTS. And Labyrinth's exploits for Obi-Wan & Anakin were a lot better than Anakin getting some bug-tattoos to save the dog-men from some super-zombie-steroids. You can't say TCW's not leading the start of Episode III as the series isn't finished yet.

Durge is overrated, give me Cad Bane any day. Ventress has more depth in TCW than the Microseries, but that's true of any character in both.

Here's the problem with Grievous: everyone LOVED him in the Microseries, because he was a beast. He demolished the Jedi... then Episode III came out, and Grievous was a cowardly mustache-twirling villain?! WHAT? That's not how he's supposed to be!

But George said that's exactly what he is. If anything, TCW has IMPROVED his image from George's (and Mace's Ep3 assessment) of a 'run-and-hide' coward. Grievous bolts a lot, but he puts up a fight. Microseries was too powerful, virtually unstoppable (but damn if that chase thru Coruscant, and the duels with the Magnaguards from Roron Corobb and Shaak Ti weren't MIND-BLOWINGLY amazing; TCW's saber duels are often great, but rarely quite as amazing as the 2D ones.

Microseries is the clear victor in visuals and fun animation, tho TCW's got its moments--and the fact TCW uses a lot of old McQuarrie & Johnston & other SW concept artist designs in scenery, props, and costuming is amazing. The animation's improved overall tremendously since the first season, the characters have a lot more depth, Anakin's actually LIKABLE and heroic, the Jedi feats are more in line with the films (tho Nightsister magic could be considered more OP and outlandish than Mace wiping out a droid army with his fists and super-leaping to a far-off hilltop to reenact a Coke commercial with a Dantooine peasant boy), the clones themselves often have a lot of depth (the ARC Troopers of the Microseries were like a squad of GIJoe Snake Eyes clones, only a bit more talkative, but that was it). I'll take TCW any day, which is a big switch from when I first saw the show.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
03.25.2012 , 09:48 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
The Microseries was beautiful, and fun, but over-the-top ridiculous. It had VERY little story. It led right into Episode III because it was supposed to, just as Labyrinth of Evil did the EXACT SAME THING (with far greater depth) for the books, leading into ROTS. And Labyrinth's exploits for Obi-Wan & Anakin were a lot better than Anakin getting some bug-tattoos to save the dog-men from some super-zombie-steroids. You can't say TCW's not leading the start of Episode III as the series isn't finished yet.

Durge is overrated, give me Cad Bane any day. Ventress has more depth in TCW than the Microseries, but that's true of any character in both.

Here's the problem with Grievous: everyone LOVED him in the Microseries, because he was a beast. He demolished the Jedi... then Episode III came out, and Grievous was a cowardly mustache-twirling villain?! WHAT? That's not how he's supposed to be!

But George said that's exactly what he is. If anything, TCW has IMPROVED his image from George's (and Mace's Ep3 assessment) of a 'run-and-hide' coward. Grievous bolts a lot, but he puts up a fight. Microseries was too powerful, virtually unstoppable (but damn if that chase thru Coruscant, and the duels with the Magnaguards from Roron Corobb and Shaak Ti weren't MIND-BLOWINGLY amazing; TCW's saber duels are often great, but rarely quite as amazing as the 2D ones.

Microseries is the clear victor in visuals and fun animation, tho TCW's got its moments--and the fact TCW uses a lot of old McQuarrie & Johnston & other SW concept artist designs in scenery, props, and costuming is amazing. The animation's improved overall tremendously since the first season, the characters have a lot more depth, Anakin's actually LIKABLE and heroic, the Jedi feats are more in line with the films (tho Nightsister magic could be considered more OP and outlandish than Mace wiping out a droid army with his fists and super-leaping to a far-off hilltop to reenact a Coke commercial with a Dantooine peasant boy), the clones themselves often have a lot of depth (the ARC Troopers of the Microseries were like a squad of GIJoe Snake Eyes clones, only a bit more talkative, but that was it). I'll take TCW any day, which is a big switch from when I first saw the show.
^This...especially about Grevious, he was so OP in the microseries I bet he could have beat Windu and Yoda. I'm actually surprised, that Mundi survived as long as he did until backup arrived.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.