Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Torian's Mando'a dialogue

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Torian's Mando'a dialogue

SableRhapsody
02.14.2012 , 06:09 PM | #1
First of all, I'm by no means a Mandalorian lore junkie, so if anyone wants to correct my rudimentary Mando'a, please feel free

Anyway, I got curious about what Torian says in his romance conversations since some bits of them are in Mando'a with no in-game translation. Here's (roughly) what he says in case anyone else was wondering:

After he kisses the BH: "I love you." (Or literally, "I hold you in my heart/I know you forever)

After he proposes: "We are united/as one together, we are united/as one apart. We share/give all, we raise our children as soldiers."

In his romance letter: "cyare" means "beloved, lover"

I'm still picking through what he says to Jicoln...that's more complicated
Fear is the mind-killer.

tehjai
02.14.2012 , 06:24 PM | #2
I know what a couple of his action dialogues mean:

"Oya!" is a sort of phrase meaning "let's go/let's hunt!"

"Su cuy'gar" has the same colloquial meaning as "Hi", but literally translated it means "So you're still alive".

I used to have a Mando'a/English spreadsheet, but I'm not sure if that's even up for distribution anymore.
The Oboa Legacy - Playing Pretend on The Ebon Hawk

Tiona, 60 Mercenary || Perkele, 60 Sorcerer || Hanneke, 60 Mercenary || Rachilde, 60 Gunslinger || Roche, 60 Scoundrel || Tio'na, 60 Sniper || Maz'ahid'erinth, 60 Operative

Jenovan
02.15.2012 , 09:24 AM | #3
http://mandoa.org/

A lot of is is from that original spreadsheet, compiled for easy perusal.

Out of curiosity, do you ever have the option to speak Mando'a back to Torian? I know he
Spoiler
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

SableRhapsody
02.15.2012 , 11:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post

Out of curiosity, do you ever have the option to speak Mando'a back to Torian?
Only a little in his romanced conversations, I think. And you just say "I love you" back to him in Mando'a. The way you say it sounds like you're still working your brain around the language
Fear is the mind-killer.

Shammuramat
02.16.2012 , 09:10 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SableRhapsody View Post
I'm still picking through what he says to Jicoln...that's more complicated
I spent a whole day trying to figure this out. He says (loosely translated):
Can you still speak the language dar'manda? Today you no longer have a son/child.

(basically that he's child-divorce/disowning him as a father)

If you'd like the original in mando'a as well:
Liser gar su jorhaa'ir haar joha, dar'manda? Ibi'tuur gar dar'buir balyc.

Dar'manda (according to mando'a.org where I got the translation) is: "a state of not being Mandalorian - not an outsider, but one who has lost his heritage, and so his identity and his soul"

Quote: Originally Posted by SableRhapsody View Post
After he proposes: "We are united/as one together, we are united/as one apart. We share/give all, we raise our children as soldiers."
This is apparently the mandalorian wedding vows.

silvershadows
02.16.2012 , 11:40 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shammuramat View Post
I spent a whole day trying to figure this out. He says (loosely translated):
Can you still speak the language dar'manda? Today you no longer have a son/child.

That was what I got from it too. Extremely cold, and extremely sexy. Is it wrong that I found it hot that he shot his own father in the face?
Avatia Twist Elonia
Deception Assassin-Bodyguard Mercenary-Darkness Assassin
Hundred-Year Darkness - The Harbinger

tehjai
02.17.2012 , 12:04 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by silvershadows View Post
That was what I got from it too. Extremely cold, and extremely sexy. Is it wrong that I found it hot that he shot his own father in the face?
No. No it's not. Even if my BH think's he's a goody-goody punk who won't put out, I as a player just love him to bits.
The Oboa Legacy - Playing Pretend on The Ebon Hawk

Tiona, 60 Mercenary || Perkele, 60 Sorcerer || Hanneke, 60 Mercenary || Rachilde, 60 Gunslinger || Roche, 60 Scoundrel || Tio'na, 60 Sniper || Maz'ahid'erinth, 60 Operative

silvershadows
02.17.2012 , 12:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by tehjai View Post
No. No it's not. Even if my BH think's he's a goody-goody punk who won't put out, I as a player just love him to bits.
He put out for me just fine
Avatia Twist Elonia

Doozzer
02.17.2012 , 01:11 AM | #9
I only married him because he's got a body like a god and he cooks and does my DPS for me. I barely even talk to him after I let him out of the bedroom.

That whole Mando'a thing he does irritates the hell out of me.

Ladies, a word of advice- when he offers to teach you Mandalorian on a date, remember, its not romantic, its neurotic. He's trying to fix you.

He only likes Mandalorian girls, so he's going to make you into one. That's some serious emotional baggage there, Torian.

Not that I wouldn't date him... Hell, like I said, I married him.

But you gotta watch out for yourself and be your own woman, you know? It's a tough galaxy.

I would have dated Gault if he wasn't so messed up over his ex, at least he has a sense of humor.
TK-421, the fragrance for men.
"Because it was a boring conversation anyways."

silvershadows
02.17.2012 , 01:20 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Doozzer View Post

He only likes Mandalorian girls, so he's going to make you into one. That's some serious emotional baggage there, Torian.
Uhhh... you ARE a Mandalorian, and from Mand'alor's own clan at that. Torian wants you to live up to your new heritage, that's all. It's part of the resol'nare that Mandalorians wear Mandalorian armor, speak the language, fight for their families, raise their children as Mandalorians, contribute to the welfare of their clan, and fight for Mand'alor when he calls.

If you don't follow these things, you are dar'manda... just like Torian's father, and he'd probably kill you for dishonoring Mand'alor. Being dar'manda would also mean you have no soul and will never reach the Manda - the afterlife.

Also: What Mandalorian Couples Do For Fun!
Avatia Twist Elonia