Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Asia Pacific Launch

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Asia Pacific Launch
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JovethGonzalez
02.16.2012 , 10:55 PM | #241 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Joaby View Post
I'd also like to know exactly where the servers are going to be!
Hi there Joaby! Just wanted to let you know that the servers will be located in Australia.

Hanscholo
02.16.2012 , 11:20 PM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by longadin View Post
If the servers are located in Australia, you may as well not transfer if you're playing in Singapore.

Your ping will be about the same, if not worse as I believe our packets seems to route through the US first before heading downwards. Did a speedtest last night and had around 385ms latency while I got 185 from a west coast server.

And for the dude who was asking if we speak English in Singapore, here's a tip--whose, not whos.
I would recommend that you use a packet routing facility either via your ISP, or a different ISP or perhaps even a third party vendor such as lower ping. Your ping should be lower from SG to australia than SG to the US if that is done correctly.

Hanscholo
02.16.2012 , 11:24 PM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by KostonxEld View Post
I sense bad things with this...glad ppl getting their region specific servers, but I'm on jekk jekk tarr and already have huge problems finding groups for flashpoints and hm's. Now my server pop is going to take a huge hit and no people coming in to replace the numbers leaving? This is going to screw my server population so bad!
-1 on implementation of this post launch and breaking up already established communities! Bad move BW
Unless you are trying to run heroics @ 4am CST then it wont affect any server populations or heroic availability.

BigFrootLoopski
02.16.2012 , 11:40 PM | #244
I had to buy the game in the UK to be able to play in NZ at launch. Once this post went up, i moved my location to New Zealand on my profile setup...

Will i still be able to have the free server transfer for my characters?

KIKIFQ
02.16.2012 , 11:42 PM | #245
hell yes this is the best mmo related news I've ever heard! finally some Aussie love from a mmo

areto
02.16.2012 , 11:53 PM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi there Joaby! Just wanted to let you know that the servers will be located in Australia.
Where in australia? it's a big place.
“People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel.”

Bledule
02.17.2012 , 12:36 AM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by areto View Post
Lol. Does it matter? SOMEWHERE in Australia. Isn't that enough for you ?

Uilretep
02.17.2012 , 12:55 AM | #248
I am in Hong Kong and playing on west coast server here's my thoughts on this.

1. Population

After getting to level 50 I realized the pop is so low on my server that PVP gameplay suffers a lot. I will not transfer blindly to a random server. I must survey the server population and guild before and manually make a choice, that means it won't happen until May or so.

Can I transfer few months later and pick my own server?

2. Server by region

The regions listed are proficient in English. I would also imagine those people who is playing and like SWTOR are also very proficient in English. HK and SG are dense city but it's just SINGLE city, have 7 mil people in HK and much less in SG. Given that only a fraction of the population will ever play SWTOR, I honestly don't see any of those servers have high population.

Should really just have 1 server of 1 type for all the small countries in East-Asia. If you have 1 server for each type of each region, PVP or RP server will be desert, 100% sure.

We are all in similar time zone and as long as we can communicate, it's definitely better to have more people to play with.

3. Transfer

Just charge us to transfer already. Let us make our own choice and do it at will. I don't care if it's $100 dollars because it's a one time deal and my entire playing experience depends on it.

If anyone in HONG KONG or SINGAPORE or anywhere want to gather a group of players and transfer together, please email me at tinyeeliu@gmail.com.

So lonely playing on low pop server with wrong time zone!

DoctorBeckett
02.17.2012 , 01:34 AM | #249
Quote: Originally Posted by areto View Post
Why? Are you going to go there and personally monitor your server?
Call the Waaaaamulance...Why announce you're quitting? It's the equivalent to a 5 year old throwing a temper tantrum. Just quit. Don't announce it. It just draws attention. But of course that's the point.

Evgen
02.17.2012 , 01:36 AM | #250
Quote: Originally Posted by Uilretep View Post
Just charge us to transfer already. Let us make our own choice and do it at will. I don't care if it's $100 dollars because it's a one time deal and my entire playing experience depends on it.
Yeeeaaaaah. . . . I'm going to go ahead and ask you to NOT say that . . . yeeaaah
I have at least 10 characters above level 15 that I'd really not like to re-roll.
I think I should be eligible as a resident of AP playing with an Aussie guild, but if I'm not I don't want to pay a stack of cash or re-roll.

One suggestion, bulk server transfer. Take all your characters one one server and transfer them to a server you have no characters on.
Of course, for much less than the price of 8 characters transfers :P