Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

For people who have read SWTOR REVAN

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
For people who have read SWTOR REVAN

sfatmedic's Avatar


sfatmedic
02.14.2012 , 03:58 PM | #1
***Contains Spoliers******


Currently deployed overseas and unable to play well anything really, so to occupy what little free time I have I began to read several Star Wars books. I just finished reading Revan. Although i enjoyed the book and the story I felt the ending was unjust for a character loved through most of the SWKOTOR gaming community.

In my opinion throwing Revan in prison then having him rescued only to be imprisoned within a week of his escape for nearly eternity was well harsh. In all honesty the ending was a bitter end to an epic character. Now i haven't yet been able to see how all this ties into new game but i have a feeling it will be similar to spitting on Revan with some sorry garbage encounter and ending.

Feel free to share your opinions or comments.
I Just Want To Kill Gungans.......

Pesh's Avatar


Pesh
02.14.2012 , 04:08 PM | #2
The problem is the player (in this case you) played as Revan and did some fantastic feats.

We tend to view Revan as our special character who is on par with Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, the Emperor... etc. etc.

The fact is he is not, he is a good Jedi who did some fantastic things, but he is far from the all powerful force we created in our games.

_Zorth_'s Avatar


_Zorth_
02.14.2012 , 04:22 PM | #3
Agree with the poster above, Just because you could tear apart mobs in KoToR doesn't mean Revan is that character. To me, he has no peronality, feelings, goals or big feats except for the ones we give him when playing the game.
The Red Eclipse
Best Player World Wide
..Greedo shot first

sfatmedic's Avatar


sfatmedic
02.14.2012 , 04:36 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by _Zorth_ View Post
Agree with the poster above, Just because you could tear apart mobs in KoToR doesn't mean Revan is that character. To me, he has no peronality, feelings, goals or big feats except for the ones we give him when playing the game.
Agreed but then why go through the trouble of writing a book about Revan just so they could end him like a chump.
I Just Want To Kill Gungans.......

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
02.14.2012 , 04:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by sfatmedic View Post
Agreed but then why go through the trouble of writing a book about Revan just so they could end him like a chump.
For this game...


Honestly, if this sounds stupid then yell at me but. ..


I think Drew is one of the worst writers and the reason his best book(Which is arguably) Path of Destruction is because LucasArts and maybe Lucas himself aided him. Because PoD set the guidelines for The Sith in the Movies. And it explains allot of why things are the way they are.

Because RoT and DoE were not nearly as great as PoD. And Revan was absoloutely terrible.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

ptoss's Avatar


ptoss
02.14.2012 , 06:04 PM | #6
Deceived was way better than Revan novel, I can't understand how someone who wrote the Bane Trilogy (which I thought was ok OVERALL, had its ups and downs), could spew out such crap.

He simultaneously ruined both the emperor, and Revan, and the Exile to a lesser extent.
And when I say ruined, I mean that in the most gentlest ways.

I'm not even a Revan fan, I've never even played KotOR, but Drew is just a bad writer.

meshade's Avatar


meshade
02.14.2012 , 06:17 PM | #7
Someone elaborate on all of what was posted above - thanks :>
It burns, it rips, it hurts

MajinEddie's Avatar


MajinEddie
02.14.2012 , 06:21 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Pesh View Post
The problem is the player (in this case you) played as Revan and did some fantastic feats.

We tend to view Revan as our special character who is on par with Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, the Emperor... etc. etc.

The fact is he is not, he is a good Jedi who did some fantastic things, but he is far from the all powerful force we created in our games.
Actually revan is better than them. As for the book i must agree. It was a big letdown.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
02.14.2012 , 06:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MajinEddie View Post
Actually revan is better than them. As for the book i must agree. It was a big letdown.
Revan would not stand a chance against Yoda, Luke, Emperor etc.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

ElementalCrisis's Avatar


ElementalCrisis
02.14.2012 , 08:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Revan would not stand a chance against Yoda, Luke, Emperor etc.
I disagree, Revan is a powerful Jedi, look at some of his accomplishments. The problem with the book is we didn't have any battles that showed Revan's true skill. The only thing close was when he redirected the force lighting attack from Darth Nyriss and killed her. The problem was the main antagonist was the emperor who is this extremely powerful character, stronger than any other character in the Star Wars universe. So when compared to the emperor, Revan seems pretty weak.
Server: Mandalore The Indomitable
Faction: Republic // Guild: The Guild