Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is Ilum worth it?


Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
02.14.2012 , 01:57 PM | #1
I hit 50 a few days ago and tried Ilum today for the first time. We seemed to be winning but the amount of Valor gained seemed really low and eventually I wasn't getting any at all and the area itself was beyond unplayable... I turned everything on low and it was still choppy as hell on 2 GTX 580's... Being a sentinel didn't help much either as any kind of fighting was just instant death.

So aside from Valor, is it even worth tolerating Ilum?

Malice_Nihilim's Avatar


Malice_Nihilim
02.14.2012 , 01:58 PM | #2
I'll use simple language....no.
My Armor is Contempt, My Shield is Disgust, My Sword is Hatred
In the Emperor's Name, let None Survive!

~~~PLAGUE~~~

Dahoff's Avatar


Dahoff
02.14.2012 , 01:59 PM | #3
To get your daily and weekly done as a melee, join an ops and buff. It's worth it for the PVP bags if you're planning on doing warzones.
INFANTRY - Ajunta Pall
Igotyoubro Beans - 50 Bromando Combat Medic
Franksn Beans - 13 Jedi Sage

Beddo's Avatar


Beddo
02.14.2012 , 02:00 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
I hit 50 a few days ago and tried Ilum today for the first time. We seemed to be winning but the amount of Valor gained seemed really low and eventually I wasn't getting any at all and the area itself was beyond unplayable... I turned everything on low and it was still choppy as hell on 2 GTX 580's... Being a sentinel didn't help much either as any kind of fighting was just instant death.

So aside from Valor, is it even worth tolerating Ilum?
Sentinel is tricky on Illum.. It's not like a WZ. You need to poick your fights. Use your saber throws and occasionally jump in, Force Sweep maybe AWE, Camoflauge and get the hell out. Use Guarded by the Force if they are CCing you.

They are just as laggy and jumpy as you. It's the game engine.
Philo Beddoe - Sentinel
Infinity Squadron
Keyboard Masher

DarthOvertone's Avatar


DarthOvertone
02.14.2012 , 02:01 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
So aside from Valor, is it even worth tolerating Ilum?
There is a faction imbalance in Ilum and it is a poorly designed zone. That said, there are still lots of good fights to be had there. As bad as Ilum is, my toon still spends a lot of time there roaming around, flipping objectives and finding fights. If you are grinding Valor on Ilum, then flipping objectives is essential, not just for kills you make there but in WZs too.

So it is definitely worth tolerating. I have at least 2-3 really good fights a night in Ilum, even as bad as it is.
Alphanoob, Alpha-zen (among others) - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: It was good while it lasted. Thanks BW

DarthWomprat's Avatar


DarthWomprat
02.14.2012 , 02:01 PM | #6
It can be, but don't plan on doing a daily in a day unless you want to hang out there for 12 hours straight. I'll say it again, they need to make Ilum a timed warzone so everyone queues at the same time. E.g. Wintergrasp (for those people who played WOW)
"If Alderran were death starred right now, only hundreds of voices would cry out" - Lord Zalkido

KilmarFyrewynd's Avatar


KilmarFyrewynd
02.14.2012 , 02:02 PM | #7
If you are Empire and vastly outnumber the Republic on your server, then yes. Farm the crates, get your daily and weekly done and leave. If you are Republic, then no. Forget trying to get your Ilum PvP daily/weekly on a regular basis.

Kentontudor's Avatar


Kentontudor
02.14.2012 , 02:02 PM | #8
For probably the first time every, yesterday, I had a great time on Ilum.

The republic actually had a full Ops group running around. Lots of Valor. I completed my weekly in 2 hours.
TonyPerkis - Arsenal Mercenary

Dahoff's Avatar


Dahoff
02.14.2012 , 02:05 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWomprat View Post
It can be, but don't plan on doing a daily in a day unless you want to hang out there for 12 hours straight. I'll say it again, they need to make Ilum a timed warzone so everyone queues at the same time. E.g. Wintergrasp (for those people who played WOW)
I agree it needs to be capped at least. However I think it's a bit different depending on servers. My server seems to get good fights going and you can surely get a daily done in an hour or so. Sometimes the weekly done in a few hours.

Also to the OP, if your server does moderately well in Ilum, it is much better for valor than warzones.
INFANTRY - Ajunta Pall
Igotyoubro Beans - 50 Bromando Combat Medic
Franksn Beans - 13 Jedi Sage

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
02.14.2012 , 02:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWomprat View Post
It can be, but don't plan on doing a daily in a day unless you want to hang out there for 12 hours straight. I'll say it again, they need to make Ilum a timed warzone so everyone queues at the same time. E.g. Wintergrasp (for those people who played WOW)
Sounds like an interesting idea. I'd like to see the area be optimized to at least be in a playable state first though.

Quote: Originally Posted by KilmarFyrewynd View Post
If you are Empire and vastly outnumber the Republic on your server, then yes. Farm the crates, get your daily and weekly done and leave. If you are Republic, then no. Forget trying to get your Ilum PvP daily/weekly on a regular basis.
Crates? I don't recall seeing any kind of crates in the areas I was in. Then again I could barely tell what was going on running at 10fps =/. So these crates count towards the weekly kill count?