Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Isn't it embarrassing that the game can't even count right?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Isn't it embarrassing that the game can't even count right?

HKDeath
02.14.2012 , 12:27 PM | #1
I could go on about how empty the game is, how much we're obviously paying for a beta, how bad the engine is, how bad pvp is, the horrible UI, the lazy classes/skill trees, the poorly thought out crafting, etc etc.

But instead let me bring up a little talked about annoyance:

The game has been out for two months now and it can't even count right.

Sort by level -> hilariousness ensues.

Really Bioware (or should I say EA?) when your devs see stuff like that... don't they have any pride in their work? When they see their game can't even sort numbers correctly do they facepalm? Hang their heads in shame?

How many patches have there been and something like this still hasn't been addressed? It's below amateur. It's embarrassing.

I know Korean MMOs that can count right.
They can count right on Sesame Street.

But nope, not in TOR.

Shameful.

PS: Since it's obviously soooo difficult to sort by numbers correctly I almost don't want to bring this up since it's probably above the dev squads coding abilities, but how about being able to sort items in the auction house... I'm sorry "Galactic Trade Network" by Helm, Chest, Legs, Gloves etc. rather than just lumping them alllllllllllllll into one category.

PPS: I don't want to come off as bashing so let me add something contructive that can help. Here it goes.

^ That guide should aid the devs on how to count properly. In case further clarification is needed please google Sesame Street as they also have wonderful in depth tutorials on how to count.

JustTed
02.14.2012 , 12:29 PM | #2
How many software development jobs have you had?

How may video games have you worked on?

Describe the process of identifying and fixing a bug.

Your ignorance is overwhelming.

ironix
02.14.2012 , 12:31 PM | #3
That has always bugged me because it is an idiotic rookie programmer mistake.

What's going on with the sort by level issue is that some idiot programmer is either storing the levels as a string and then asking it to sort a list of strings, or they are actually casting the integer as a string and then sorting it.
Godwin's Law for SW:TOR -- As a discussion in the SW:TOR forums grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving WoW or being told to "go back to WoW" approaches 1.

zandadoum
02.14.2012 , 12:32 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
How many software development jobs have you had?

How may video games have you worked on?

Describe the process of identifying and fixing a bug.

Your ignorance is overwhelming.
he's still right tho

JustTed
02.14.2012 , 12:32 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ironix View Post
That has always bugged me because it is an idiotic rookie programmer mistake.

What's going on with the sort by level issue is that some idiot programmer is either storing the levels as a string and then asking it to sort a list of strings, or they are actually casting the integer as a string and then sorting it.
You've seen the code responsible for this bug?

Jaick
02.14.2012 , 12:32 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by zandadoum View Post
he's still right tho
Says another person with no experience.

JustTed
02.14.2012 , 12:33 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by zandadoum View Post
he's still right tho
Not even close.

Pavaroso
02.14.2012 , 12:37 PM | #8
My 25 years of programming says the guy is right on the nose - the level numbers are obviously being sorted as strings values, not as numerics.

ironix
02.14.2012 , 12:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
You've seen the code responsible for this bug?
As a developer myself, I don't have to. Sorting lists is an exceptionally common task in programming and is something you're taught very early on. The difference between sorting a list of strings and a list of integers should be readily apparent to anyone. When you see a sorted list of number come out as:

You simply KNOW that whomever programmed the sorting function is sorting integers as though they were strings.

So no, I do not need to see the code to know this.
Godwin's Law for SW:TOR -- As a discussion in the SW:TOR forums grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving WoW or being told to "go back to WoW" approaches 1.

Kthx
02.14.2012 , 12:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by HKDeath View Post
I could go on about how empty the game is, how much we're obviously paying for a beta, how bad the engine is, how bad pvp is, the horrible UI, the lazy classes/skill trees, the poorly thought out crafting, etc etc.
Or you could dial back the sarcasm and negativity and post constructive criticism in the appropriate forum.