Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Devs, you're missing your window to save Operative/Scoundrel healing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Devs, you're missing your window to save Operative/Scoundrel healing
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tokosteef
03.08.2012 , 05:12 PM | #341
Ruqu, how can you always remain this constructive, detailed and polite?
After Georg Zoeller's last post in the operative forum, something snapped. I just want to give them the finger and unsub.

RuQu
03.08.2012 , 06:10 PM | #342
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokosteef View Post
After Georg Zoeller's last post in the operative forum, something snapped. I just want to give them the finger and unsub.
Conscious choice mostly, with a touch of insight.

On the internet there are almost no consequences for our behavior. For some people this is liberating, as it means that they don't have to fear getting punched in the teeth for acting how they wish they could in real life (namely terribly).

For others this is infuriating because they really, really want to punch those people square in the face, and rightly so as they tend to deserve it.

While I'm not perfect about it (who is?), I try and not let the first group of people push me into the second. It happens. But most of the time I realize that the people behaving the worst on the internet are just people who spend their lives in powerless fear. They can't lash out at anyone around them no matter how much they want to, for fear of the consequences, so they come here, to the internet, and they finally can, and they go mad with the "power" of it.

So most of the time, when I start to get angry at a troll, I just pause for a moment and think about how sad and afraid they must be all the time to have such pent up impotent rage. Then I laugh a little, and decide that it is beneath me to respond to that, just as you shouldn't respond to a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.

Instead I try and see if there was any kernel of rational thought within their post, and I respond to that. Perhaps, in some idealistic fantasy land in a galaxy far, far away, tending to this bud of rational thought might encourage it to grow, and one day they will contribute positively. In this darker, less lightsabery world we actually inhabit, I figure that a decent response might get other people to participate in a decent conversation despite the original intent.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes I start plotting to find the troll and punch them right in their face. And that's when I reach for the ignore button.

Mostly I just wish we had tools for community enforcement, like downvoting posts, up and down voting users, etc, so we could punish/silence trolls and encourage people who make good posts.

As for unsubscribing...its a tool. Use it if you want. You always get the last say when you press it, and you can keep playing until your subscription runs out, you can always resubscribe before then, and, if this is at all like WoW, even after your subscription lapses your characters aren't deleted. So if GZ really pissed you off this time, do it. Unsubscribe, and in the "Why" box write a detailed memo about how GZ responds to trolls and ignores the people politely asking for real feedback, and how his remarks disrespect the community and make you feel like he thinks your class(es), and therefore you as a player, are unimportant.

You can still keep playing, if things change or you cool down, you can resubscribe, and you will have spoken in the loudest words they know....cash.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

Paladinian
03.08.2012 , 06:16 PM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokosteef View Post
My reaction was to sigh sadly while rubbing my pained temples, but I can empathize with your impulse too.

Endusima
03.08.2012 , 07:11 PM | #344
I don't suppose anything about Operative healing (or healing state overall) was mentioned at the guild summit?

I just watched the part were some fat chick asked the devs why the same piece of armor sometimes had a different color gradient when worn by different classes..

EnanoMaldito
03.08.2012 , 07:39 PM | #345
Quote: Originally Posted by Endusima View Post
I don't suppose anything about Operative healing (or healing state overall) was mentioned at the guild summit?

I just watched the part were some fat chick asked the devs why the same piece of armor sometimes had a different color gradient when worn by different classes..
Basically this was said about healing in Guild Summit + Q&A: "Healing is fine, all classes are balanced, and we dont *********** care about Operatives cuz no one uses them anyways, we just want to keep the most used class Sorcs on top of the rest "

Or that's how it sounded in my mind at least.
EnanoMaldito - Operative Medic - Ferocity

# dev posts/replies to inquisitor/counselor boards = 78
# dev posts/replies to agent/smuggler boards = 6 (+1 troll)

Ezren
03.08.2012 , 09:47 PM | #346
Quote: Originally Posted by EnanoMaldito View Post
Basically this was said about healing in Guild Summit + Q&A: "Healing is fine, all classes are balanced, and we dont *********** care about Operatives cuz no one uses them anyways, we just want to keep the most used class Sorcs on top of the rest "

I try to play my sage, I really do. I am at 50, and still cant make myself even finish up chapter 3 and start in on the daily quests. I just dont enjoy feeling like I do no work for stellar results.

It might just be me, but I actually LIKE a lot about smuggler/operative healing....its just so far behind sage other people would be dumb to NOT use sage healer. I deleted an operative that was near 50 when I moved to the republic side just because of how depressed it made me, and now I am working up a smuggler because I just want it to be good, and had hopes after the comments about Kolto Cloud being redone that they had good things in store for smugglers.

I have a small kernel of hope left that when 1.2 is put on test server we will see some amazing changes to smugglers, like vanish no longer crapping on healing for 10 seconds, the changes for KC they have planned, a benefit to one of the heals if casted from stealth, better upper hand management, some added utility and other assorted quality of life changes. I really hope they dazzle people so we say " You know, smugglers might be as good as sages now!"

Seeing a dev comment made to a troll post about operatives stung for sure. I will hold off on getting TOO mad about it till 1.2 because I am praying they have MANY comments to make in the many threads coming about the changes to them.

If I see nothing, and no real changes to the classes to make them comparable, I might just unsub myself. Considering I spent over 1k on a new pc JUST for this game, bought a CE and everything.....if I unsub they should realize something is wrong...since I am the "key" demographic they should be working on keeping.

Neulwen
03.09.2012 , 07:00 AM | #347
Quote: Originally Posted by Ezren View Post
It might just be me, but I actually LIKE a lot about smuggler/operative healing....its just so far behind sage other people would be dumb to NOT use sage healer.
That's how I think/feel too. I really like the concept of the Agent.

And that dev comment was rude indeed. Sure, the thread starter was exaggerating and presenting data erroneously, but wow, what a way to treat customers.

As someone has in their signature, Agent/Smuggler forums have 6 (+1 troll) dev replies, whilst Inq/Consular have 70+ or so.
The electrons are singing.

hulkweazel
03.09.2012 , 12:01 PM | #348

Bioware is the creator of a game called Dragon Mage: Origins. You know, that RPG where there are two balanced classes and a third class that's basically a god. Bioware LOVES mages.

Ops are a filler class. It's the Druid/Paladin from vanilla Wow, the class the devs threw together in 15 minutes so that they could go back to giving Sorcs cool new abilities. IIRC, Druids weren't fixed for a year and a half, paladins weren't fixed for a full five years.

The worst part isn't the class is broken. That I can live with. It's the sense that, as I'm playing the class, that they spent absolutely no time developing it and that they don't really care about it. THAT's what bugs me.

EnanoMaldito
03.09.2012 , 12:06 PM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by Ezren View Post
It might just be me, but I actually LIKE a lot about smuggler/operative healing....its just so far behind sage other people would be dumb to NOT use sage healer.
EXCATLY this is how I feel. Even being sub-par I still use my Operative as my main cuz I love it, I love the story behind it, and some of the mechanics are nice. But overall we are way behind Sorcs/Sages and this needs to get fixed ASAP.

The only reason I'm complaining is because I love my Op and I don't want to be forced to reroll just because of unbalanced classes.

PS: I urge all Operatives/Scoundrels or anyone who supports us to Cancel Subscription and as a reason give it "Class unbalance" (you can subscribe to game time once again whenever you want) maybe THIS way the devs will hear us.
EnanoMaldito - Operative Medic - Ferocity

# dev posts/replies to inquisitor/counselor boards = 78
# dev posts/replies to agent/smuggler boards = 6 (+1 troll)

Riggz
03.09.2012 , 02:30 PM | #350
EXCATLY this is how I feel. Even being sub-par I still use my Operative as my main cuz I love it, I love the story behind it, and some of the mechanics are nice. But overall we are way behind Sorcs/Sages and this needs to get fixed ASAP.

The only reason I'm complaining is because I love my Op and I don't want to be forced to reroll just because of unbalanced classes.

PS: I urge all Operatives/Scoundrels or anyone who supports us to Cancel Subscription and as a reason give it "Class unbalance" (you can subscribe to game time once again whenever you want) maybe THIS way the devs will hear us.
+1
I love your signature btw
I can't believe we have a lead developer trolling our forums

I... I can't even think about his post because it just makes me made. What does it even mean?!?! Are the classes meant to be imbalanced?
Yes dev we know we aren't a sorc, I mean it's a total news flash and oh wait.... You mean we don't have the same abilities?! WHAat?!?! You mean my mirror class isn't a counsler?! When did this happen?!
Well I'm glad I read his post - I now know that my mirror class is a scoundrel and that I have different abilities compared to a sorc- thanks for clearing all that up!
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>