Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Invalid name...why?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Primarch_Akurei
02.14.2012 , 06:17 AM | #1
Why is "Gungnir" an "Invalid Name"? It can be used neither as a first or legacy name, and gives a different error than if someone already has the name. Did BW use the name for some faction or holding for future content?

I ask because I'm running two accounts and had an Odin theme I was rocking.

One account already has locked in "Allfather" and I was trying to reserve "Gungnir" for the other but it won't let me. Is there a reasoning behind this or any way a CSR can address this?

I know it's not because the name contains Gun, as I have multiple characters with Gun in their name. Either way I wound up taking "Revenant" on the second account and while I'm kinda ok with that. It kills the whole theme I was building for my accounts.

I need my spear and magic helmet....

Keta
02.14.2012 , 10:31 AM | #2
You can get that message if someone else has taken the name already.

evilbeauty
02.14.2012 , 10:34 AM | #3
This would be the only thing I could think which is against the eula/naming policy. Sine it is an actual name of someone from mythology/history.

Gungnir

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Norse mythology, Gungnir (Old Norse "swaying one"[1]) is the spear of the god Odin.

Kinda sucks, but it is what it is, ya know?

Primarch_Akurei
02.14.2012 , 02:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Keta View Post
You can get that message if someone else has taken the name already.
The error messages you get are different based on use of invalid names compared to taken names. I tested this quite a bit, but you can yourself if you don't believe.

Quote: Originally Posted by evilbeauty
This would be the only thing I could think which is against the eula/naming policy. Sine it is an actual name of someone from mythology/history.

Gungnir

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Norse mythology, Gungnir (Old Norse "swaying one"[1]) is the spear of the god Odin.

Kinda sucks, but it is what it is, ya know?
I assume that is likely the case as it's one of the most overused names of late in games. But it still seems odd given I was able to take "Allfather" which directly means Odin or God. Hit and miss I guess, oh well.

All I do know is this crap is gonna be a nightmare when they start merging servers.

DocBones
07.19.2012 , 06:31 AM | #5
This is still broken, many norse names are blocked with the invalid name error. (not the unavailable which means somebody else is using it)

Transferred my characters, and names that I could use at game start are now blocked.

Beruthien
07.19.2012 , 06:43 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings DocBones,

The "Invalid Name" error message also appears when your name is already taken on the server.

We can confirm that you are able to use special characters in your name. Names with special characters, as long as not against our Terms of Service, should not cause any issues with our naming filter.

We apologize for any confusion caused by the error you receive when try to re-name your characters.

Thank you.
Beruthien| BioWare Customer Service Forum Support