Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This needs IT escalation or devs to know what windows permissions are

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
This needs IT escalation or devs to know what windows permissions are

darkdayze
12.15.2011 , 04:19 PM | #1
Well the search button disappeared....and I"m at the final straw on why this isn't working.

I've tried to go through tech support, but they apparently have no idea what I'm talking about apparently. The devs are the only ones who know their game, and why this is happening. So I will re-post everything that has been going on. The "droids" have no clue what windows permissions are, and they keep thinking it's my firewall settings, in which it is not.

I will break it up into categories to show you what I"m talking about. I cannot be the only one in this entire world to know something isn't right. This is definately a windows permission issue.

So my original post went like this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so this is driving me nutso. What I'm trying to do is get the launcher and all star wars related to the game to run under a user account. I have both an admin account and a user account (so the kids don't screw any of my computer up) and I cannot, for the life of me, get it to run under the user account. I keep getting the error "process not elevated". I have turned UAC off, because I want the kids to play the game without having to input the password everytime.

Here is what I have tried to do, so if really, anyone has any ideas it's more than welcomed, but I believe I have just about covered all bases.

--- I have tried to grant permissions to the following groups under security in properties of the folder and inherited them down to all processes in the folder:
---Everyone
---The user account
---I gave full control to each

In the same folder, I did find it a little funny that it appeared some of it was partially "read only", so I tried to uncheck it, and make all files archivable, but it reverts right back to "read only" partially.

---I then played around with the users and groups
---Put power user group into the user
---Put a few other groups into the user

So far, nothing is working....so I continue

---I opened group policy
---In software restrictions, I opened the launcher up and gave it unrestricted access
---In app locker, I opened up the launcher up and gave it unrestricted access

That didn't work either....

I was afraid to try the registry, I heard you could put the program in there as well, but even I heard that doesn't work sometimes.

So I then tried this program:
---Sudo for Windows

Well, that program almost worked, as launcher finally appeared under the process list, but I get a program hang and that doesn't work either.

Sudo for windows, what that does, is creates a group under users and groups and I get to assign a user to it. So this is supposed to allow me to grant a specific application to "elevate its priviliges". But even under the administrator group, I was only able to get the process to hang, so something unfortunately is flawed there.

So I'm technically at wits end. I've tried everything under the sun with this issue and I have gotten no where. I have a feeling that launcher.exe is calling something in the restricted section portion of windows where it is not letting me launch under a user account.

I also tried:
---putting the user into the admin account
---turning UAC on, but it does work under that, in which I don't want it to.
---tried "running as admin" under properties of the program
---I hate to say it, but no other program (including) wow gave me this much issue, even under the user accounts.

Putting the user under the admin account is technically the only thing that works.

So since bioware knows their program the best, somewhere a permission isn't setup right, or maybe something about the split tokens. Not sure in any case. But I think I really run out of things to try. I would really love to hear from a dev on the issue, if anything. Maybe they have a better idea, what launcher is trying to do, if it's trying to write to c:\windows or C:\windows\system32 or something. But yeah, I'm at wits end.

I'm running windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 32 - bit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply was this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings darkdayze,
I am Protocol Droid P9-A4, Human-Cyborg relations
I have received your transmission regarding patching the game client.

I’m afraid that this response is rather lengthy, but I would ask you to please read through it all as the information we request from you will be of great help to us in diagnosing the root cause of the trouble you are having with the launcher.
Could you please check that:

1. Star Wars: The Old Republic is installed to the default directory
- For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

or
- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
2. Exceptions for SWTOR.EXE and Launcher.EXE have been added to your Anti-Virus and Firewall programs.

- Please follow the guide below on how to change your Windows Firewall settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ndows-Firewall
- For assistance on creating exceptions with all other brands of Firewall and Anti-Virus software, please refer to the software provider for instructions. (Please note that we cannot accept responsibility for content on any external websites).
If you continue to experience problems with your launcher after confirming these two steps, please reply to this email, attaching an up-to-date set of launcher logs, and a dxdiag of your system.

Here’s how to find your logs and dxdiag:

Launcher logs are usually at either of these default locations:
- For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs\
or
- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs\
Launcher logs look like this: “launcher_112610.txt”
To run a dxdiag on your system and save the log, please do the following:
- Click on the Start button
- Type dxdiag into the Search/Run box
- Select the "Save All Information" button
- This will create a dxdiag.txt file
- Please save the file to a location that is easy to remember, as you’ll need to attach it to your reply.
As well as these files, we would appreciate that, if possible, you include answers to the following questions:
1. If your Star Wars: The Old Republic game client was previously not installed to the default directory, please tell us the location it was originally installed to.
a. Do you have multiple internal hard drives, or a partitioned hard drive?
b. If so was the game installed to one of these?
2. Was the game initially installed to any sort of external hard drive?
3. Do you use any 3rd party firewall programs or anti-virus software?
a. If so, which programs do you use?
b. Which settings do you use?
4. Is there a file called Install Star Wars – The Old Republic.log located in the folder C:\Users\”Username”\Documents?
5. Have you previously been able to successfully launch the patcher?
a. If so, have you made any changes (physical hardware or software updates) to your machine since then?
b. Have you altered or updated any program files while Star Wars: The Old Republic was patching?
As we asked back at the start of this mail, please reply to this message, answering the above questions and attaching the requested files, and we will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.
Thank you for continued patience and understanding, and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.
Should you need further assistance with this matter, please do not hesitate to let me know. Galactic support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid P9-A4 aka Rafael

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

We would love to hear your feedback on our Customer Service and invite you to fill out the following survey which will help us to continually improve our support!

https://www.research.net/s/TOREN?c=813545

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All these questions have nothing to do with windows permissions. I already have passed through tthe firewall, I already know all that. I even took the firewall down, just in case. I'm not sure what dxdiag will tell you. I also tried checking the logs in the launcher, with nothing stating why the windows permissions are still a mess.

What I think is happening is it is identifying with a unique, user ID that is giving a token to the system, that is stating that I am a user. If it detects I am a user, it will not escalate the process.

I personally think that somehow the program itself is somehow set to permissions as "admin only" and a typical user cannot launch the program. I have tried everything. Even some who have suggested from microsoft tech net. The program continues not to launch with USER ONLY PERMISSIONS. This must be a bug somewhere. Thanks for reading, even if it is TL;DR.

Koryvarn
12.15.2011 , 04:20 PM | #2
Looks like SW TOR needs admin rights to run, no way around it.

Brianne
12.15.2011 , 04:21 PM | #3
Customer Support Tech Forums are you friend sir..../ma'am
This here is for General Star Wars discussion only
Pre-Ordered 07.22.2011
CE Edition

Sagerk
12.15.2011 , 04:23 PM | #4
The launcher tries to access system folders, which is causing the issue. I saw a more detailed thread on this a few days ago around here....

Anyway, I don't believe you will be able to run it without Administrator permissions.

I can't get the forum search working or I'd find the other thread for you.

Hope you get it working!

darkdayze
12.15.2011 , 04:24 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Koryvarn View Post
Looks like SW TOR needs admin rights to run, no way around it.
My question is why? why does WoW not need these admin only permission and why does rift not need these admin only permissions, yet, swtor is the only one that does???

darkdayze
12.15.2011 , 04:36 PM | #6
I just hope to have an answer sooner or later. I don't care if it accesses windows protected files, I know how to get them "unprotected" to the point where it will read/write to them and allow the program to run under a standard user account.

If I only knew which files that they are accessing.....

I'll try to search this topic up when the search button works again. I noticed that was down too.

FessFish
12.15.2011 , 04:50 PM | #7
Why run anything under a standard user account?

If you know anything about computers you understand that that gives you no protection against hackers or anything like that.

Only thing such passwords do is protect against people physically able to access your computer from accessing your account...and even then if they are older than 5 it won't stop them for long.
HK-47: "Expletive: Damn it, master, I am an assassination droid... not a dictionary!"
DUBSTEP STEP - THAT - DUB DUBSTEP

billiejackfu
12.15.2011 , 04:57 PM | #8
Ok, I'm working on a fix for this and I have it working on my system, I will include details on the fix as soon as I test and make sure everything is working.

**Update, I was able to get this fix to work in sandbox, but once back in the system it fails.

So I tried my best, SWTOR is forcing elevated access, so you won't be able to run it without being prompted unless you're on Windows XP SP3.
<December Crew - Republic PvE West>
Guild Master on The Jekk'Jekk Tarr
Jedi Consular (Sage) Server: The Jekk'Jekk Tarr

billiejackfu
12.15.2011 , 05:21 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by FessFish View Post

If you know anything about computers you understand that that gives you no protection against hackers or anything like that.

Only thing such passwords do is protect against people physically able to access your computer from accessing your account...and even then if they are older than 5 it won't stop them for long.
If you want to protect your computer from having files deleted by one of your kids you set them up as a standard user. Standard users aren't any less vulnerable than any other user account, in fact they are more protected because you need an Admin password to install anything or change any system settings.
<December Crew - Republic PvE West>
Guild Master on The Jekk'Jekk Tarr
Jedi Consular (Sage) Server: The Jekk'Jekk Tarr

mikeoquinn
12.15.2011 , 06:28 PM | #10
I posted in a similar thread last night about the same issue. Long post, so I'll link instead of copypasta.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...t=24092&page=2

In short, the game should not require administrator credentials to run. To update, yes, but not to run. Leaving this loophole open is a huge flaw on BioWare's part.

Quote: Originally Posted by FessFish View Post

Because the account owner is not trusted with full access to the machine. It's not about protecting them, it's about protecting the system, which likely includes my data as well.

And actually, yes, UAC - which is not running as a standard user, but rather running as an administrator with user-level permissions unless specifically requested - does make it harder (not impossible, but harder) to be compromised by malicious code. This is why *nix OS's have used this method for so long, and are considered (rightfully so) to be significantly more secure than their Windows counterparts.

Quote: Originally Posted by billiejackfu View Post
So I tried my best, SWTOR is forcing elevated access, so you won't be able to run it without being prompted unless you're on Windows XP SP3.
The launcher appears to be required for swtor.exe to remain running - just double-clicking on swtor.exe loads the first process (of two that the game has loaded while running), but it subsequently quits without any error or indicator. I'm guessing that launcher.exe is passing a variable or flag to swtor.exe that indicates it's "safe" to start up, but haven't had time to dig into it.

Watching launcher.exe when it starts up, it appears to be passing a "-elevate" flag to itself. This leads me to believe that the launcher binary is detecting the permissions state it's in, and if not elevated, re-launching with a flag to force elevation.

The reason the game launches in admin mode is that the launcher is running in an admin session when it calls swtor.exe. If we can find out how to call swtor.exe manually, we would likely be able to build that into a shortcut and use that to launch instead.

The only thing left to figure out then would be how the username and password (entered in the launcher) are passed to the game executable (or if they are), so that I can log into, y'know, my account.