Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lucas-Jar Jar, genius?

Dire-Wolf
02.14.2012 , 01:52 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Adzzy View Post
if you know the how i met your mother episode, jar jar is like the ewok meter where you can determine their age based on which side of the fence opinion falls.
I watched that episode last night and was thinking of bringing it up in my post. I think it does a really good job summing up how people react to different elements of SW depending on whether they first watch it as a kid or an adult.

Terko_Koslah
02.14.2012 , 05:49 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
I never had a problem with Jar Jar... I mean in a galaxy with over 20 million sapient species odds are that at least one of them will be retardedly stupid and annoying.... hell if you gather a group of just 20 individuals odds are at least one will be mindbogglingly annoying so I'm surprised there aren't a lot more of them in SW
The universe holds many things, even everything and anything people can imagine and beyond that .
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is." -- Jedi Master Yoda

theangryllama
02.14.2012 , 11:58 AM | #33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjMGOvMghY

Skip to ~1:25 (or just watch the whole thing anyway cause its awesome)

"Binks hates puppys. Binks killed grandma."

RagnarokJC
02.14.2012 , 12:11 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by theangryllama View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjMGOvMghY

Skip to ~1:25 (or just watch the whole thing anyway cause its awesome)

"Binks hates puppys. Binks killed grandma."
Yeah, that part had me pissing myself. "..whatever it takes to keep Binks away...."
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

SweetFeet
02.14.2012 , 12:20 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyo-Than View Post
As an original Star Wars kid I detested all that was Jar Jar, but I brought my 9 year old to see Ep 1 3D this weekend and he laughed every time Jar Jar did something and said he really enjoyed the movie and couldn't wait for Ep 2 3D to come out. Lucas = Genius
Yeah but you didn't like IV, V, and VI because every time Darth Vader showed up he slipped on a banana peel. Of course Lucas = Genius if the point was to broaden the demographic at the expense of respecting the story millions already loved as it was.
Twin Sun Coalition
Port Nowhere
"SweetFeet" RogerParticle

SweetFeet
02.14.2012 , 12:23 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightstrake View Post
When I was younger [I'm turning 15 in April]=D
Couldn't help LOL'ing
Twin Sun Coalition
Port Nowhere
"SweetFeet" RogerParticle

Master-Nala
02.14.2012 , 12:41 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyo-Than View Post
As an original Star Wars kid I detested all that was Jar Jar, but I brought my 9 year old to see Ep 1 3D this weekend and he laughed every time Jar Jar did something and said he really enjoyed the movie and couldn't wait for Ep 2 3D to come out. Lucas = Genius
My 7 year old and 5 year old went nuts over Jar Jar. Said he was their favorite character in Phantom Menace. And I had to admit, that after time and age, the movie isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

Agree with the OP, Lucas was right in the first place. But then those billions in the bank probably told him that better than any of us could.

Vecke
02.14.2012 , 12:53 PM | #38
Literally, every kid I know loved Jar Jar. Sometimes I actually feel a little guilty that my generation railed against him so badly, because it caused Lucas to all but remove him from episodes 2 and 3, thereby removing a character the kids really loved.

Sometimes I wish we (the older fans that grew up on the OT) would have just kept our mouths shut and let Lucas make the prequels without the constant barrage of hate. I wonder what those movies would have been like.

And yes, I'm chastising myself here. I was just as guilty about griping as anyone, but at the end of the day, the prequels - while certainly not perfect - were fun movies that contributed to the Star Wars universe in some cool ways.
"I know."

MustrumRidcully
02.14.2012 , 01:07 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
You clearly aren't aware of the entire baby entertainment. If you think Jar Jar is bad, go through 2-3 hours of watching Dora and Fruit Salad.
Isn't Star Wars aimed at families, or is it just at babies and children. There is a difference...

TheCoug
02.14.2012 , 01:25 PM | #40
I was 12 when Ep 1 came out and I've hated Jar Jar for every second that I've had to endure his stupid gungan face.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." - Qui Gon

I feel like Lucas was trying to create another Chewbacca sidekick. But one of the great things about Chewie was that he was clever, and funny and had emotions without having to talk. We just knew what he meant.
Darth Coug | Tyranus Legacy | Scourge of the Jedi
lvl 50 Sith Marauder
<The Nerf Herders> | Guildmaster | Cho Mai Server