Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

is the Sith a race or a religion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
is the Sith a race or a religion

Senyio's Avatar


Senyio
02.13.2012 , 12:39 AM | #1
hello, i would like a good explanation of the sith (red skin tentacle face people), im not a HARDCORE fan of starwars like most of you may be so please i need a good explanation about the sith, my friend and i where arguing about the sith been a race and he was telling me that they are not a race, they are a religion and since he says he is a hardcore fan of the movies and story of Starwars hewas right and i was wrong. so can some one give an excellent explanation or if you know George Lucas and he will say it by video or something that the sith is a race , again the red skin tentacle face people... i get annoyed when some one is close minded so if any developer sees this and care to elaborate.

lordbrass's Avatar


lordbrass
02.13.2012 , 12:44 AM | #2
race.....
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyDiggler View Post
bioware should nerf stupidity

Quote: Originally Posted by PowerReaper View Post
go play your Crap Wars 2 no one cares...

rgdelta's Avatar


rgdelta
02.13.2012 , 12:44 AM | #3
Your friend is not as hardcore as he thinks yes the Sith are a race and a religion http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith for the religion http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_(species) for the race

DarthVarrak's Avatar


DarthVarrak
02.13.2012 , 12:46 AM | #4
Originally they were a race on the planets of Korriban and Ziost, yes. Long story short, there was a group of exiled Jedi who found Korriban and enslaved and ruled the Sith species. This is probably where the title Lord of the Sith originally came from. Over time, the Sith species and the Exiles mated, and then more outsiders came to the planet and mated, and Sith blood became less and less in each new generation.

This is also referred to in the Sith Pureblood race in this game. These are Sith with enough original Sith blood to show characteristics of their ancestors.

Eventually, the Sith species did die out and the Sith become more of a philosophical order (some people say religion, it means the same thing to me, they don't actually worship the Force though).

So, if your friend is a "hardcore fan" of the movies only, than yes it is a "religion" but as far as Extended Universe canon goes, the Sith were originally a species.
Vendri Aybara, Level 50 Bodyguard Merc
<Because Good Is Dumb>
Iron Citadel

Girdeux's Avatar


Girdeux
02.13.2012 , 04:42 AM | #5
Since you wanted the answer from George Lucas, he says they are a religion. The Sith race doesnt exist. The Sith Knights was created by a fallen jedi around 2000 years before the movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1qghsNiok at 0:47 onwards.

There is more interviews from Lucas that goes more indepth about it. Mentioning Darth Ruin and that the Sith completely ruled the galaxy. Nothing about the Sith race though.

Illanair's Avatar


Illanair
02.13.2012 , 04:56 AM | #6
As for how it works in SWTOR, you'll want to go with Darth's explanation above.

This is also mentioned several times if you play as a "Sith" (race) in either Sith (class) prologue on Korriban. Quests such as the one given to you by the headmaster? to scan and catalogue bloodlines here and there on the planet - to cleanse the blood and keep it strong (aka. stop crossbreeding)

It is very similar to the lore of Vampires in several universes - those with little or no "pure blood" in their genetics are considered of a lower caste, or considered enemies (for thinning the blood so far)

Dria's Avatar


Dria
02.13.2012 , 06:31 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Senyio View Post
hello, i would like a good explanation of the sith (red skin tentacle face people), im not a HARDCORE fan of starwars like most of you may be so please i need a good explanation about the sith, my friend and i where arguing about the sith been a race and he was telling me that they are not a race, they are a religion and since he says he is a hardcore fan of the movies and story of Starwars hewas right and i was wrong. so can some one give an excellent explanation or if you know George Lucas and he will say it by video or something that the sith is a race , again the red skin tentacle face people... i get annoyed when some one is close minded so if any developer sees this and care to elaborate.
Race...
Took 2-5 minutes to make this to you from Wookiepedia.
Pen & Paper GM PnP veteran from 1989 Oh and also Gamer(dad)
"It´s always funny until someone gets hurt...
and then it's absolutely friggin´ hysterical!"

Senyio's Avatar


Senyio
02.13.2012 , 07:13 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Illanair View Post
As for how it works in SWTOR, you'll want to go with Darth's explanation above.

This is also mentioned several times if you play as a "Sith" (race) in either Sith (class) prologue on Korriban. Quests such as the one given to you by the headmaster? to scan and catalogue bloodlines here and there on the planet - to cleanse the blood and keep it strong (aka. stop crossbreeding)

It is very similar to the lore of Vampires in several universes - those with little or no "pure blood" in their genetics are considered of a lower caste, or considered enemies (for thinning the blood so far)
he said sith knights and didn't mentioned anything about sith race... yet we have a race in the game named sith.

Mechavomit's Avatar


Mechavomit
02.13.2012 , 07:24 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Senyio View Post
he said sith knights and didn't mentioned anything about sith race... yet we have a race in the game named sith.
The EU clearly states that the Sith is an ancient race of insectoid freaks, that were highly force-sensitive.

Illanair's Avatar


Illanair
02.13.2012 , 07:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVarrak View Post
Long story short, there was a group of exiled Jedi who found Korriban and enslaved and ruled the Sith species. This is probably where the title Lord of the Sith originally came from. Over time, the Sith species and the Exiles mated, and then more outsiders came to the planet and mated, and Sith blood became less and less in each new generation.
Quote: Originally Posted by Senyio View Post
my friend and i where arguing about the sith been a race and he was telling me that they are not a race, they are a religion and since he says he is a hardcore fan of the movies and story of Starwars hewas right and i was wrong.

Quote: Originally Posted by Senyio View Post
he said sith knights and didn't mentioned anything about sith race... yet we have a race in the game named sith.
I'm sorry - do you have trouble reading properly?