Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unoffical Cross-Server is coming to town thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Unoffical Cross-Server is coming to town thread

Amiracle
02.15.2012 , 07:06 PM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by MalignX View Post
LFG is coming. X-server is what's being "looked into". But we'll get it eventually.
There already is a lfg tool.

How can a lfg tool be coming if it is already in game?

dahlatiel
02.15.2012 , 07:16 PM | #192
Besides the heroic 4 quests it's basically the only place that players group. But in the opposition of the heroic 4 quests they last longer, hence giving a chance of having an idea of a certain player.

Little things, like greeting your group mates, asking if anyone need some info on a boss between many others, set aside some people that might be of interest to a social person. A x-lfd would simply make impossible to establish a contact with that player again, save in some great luck it happens to be from your server.

Not everyone likes to rush mindlessly through content, which is what happens with an anonymous x-lfd tool every time as a side effect.

Quote: Originally Posted by Touchbass View Post
I don't think people can deal with the notion that those people they were grouping with all this time aren 't their real friends, they are friends of convenience and not true blue. If the X-LFD you can still form groups the old way, also use the /who function to find people and post on the (hopefully by then) realm forums.
How many people in real live, from all the people one knows, can someone say that are REAL friends?

We deal with them, with bigger or lesser care for them, but are they REAL friends? Most of them, not really. They are work colleagues, school, sports, whatever.

They might not fit exactly on the category but still they are friends.

And because of them we evolve.

In an online game that is what matters to some, not if you are tall, short, fat, slim, but the ability and willingness (more the later than the former most times) to cooperate with others for a common objective.

Yvin
02.15.2012 , 07:20 PM | #193
Greetings folks!

We've re-opened this thread for continued discussion. While we welcome discourse, we require that it be on-topic, constructive and respectful of one another. Please do not derail threads into discussions of who is right and who is wrong, but rather, constructively criticize each other's arguments. Replying constructively ensures threads stay open.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

ferroz
02.15.2012 , 07:44 PM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by dahlatiel View Post
Little things, like greeting your group mates, asking if anyone need some info on a boss between many others, set aside some people that might be of interest to a social person.
I do all of those things in cross server lfd groups in wow...

Quote:
A x-lfd would simply make impossible to establish a contact with that player again, save in some great luck it happens to be from your server.
People keep saying this, but it's just not true.

In wow, you can currently establish contact with people you run in cross server lfd groups; you can chat with them, and invite them to groups in the future. There are enhancements in the works to make this even more attractive to players.

In EQ, you could cross server chat a decade ago. When they killed the sleeper on rallos zek, we were talking about it in cross server chat, with our cross server friends. I was in the serverwide bard chat.

There's no reason to assume that they won't allow this in a lffp tool in swtor; hell, we should expect them to innovate on the idea and really tear those walls down.

Quote:
Not everyone likes to rush mindlessly through content, which is what happens with an anonymous x-lfd tool every time as a side effect.
That long predates cross server lfg. Pre-lfd, there were plenty of people who wanted speed dungeon runs. Plowing through them for the daily heroic was just mindlessly rushing through it.

People did that even in EQ; heck, it was one of the reasons people I grouped with loved me, because I could keep a steady stream of single pulls ready for the group to mindlessly kill.

harpuax
02.15.2012 , 07:46 PM | #195
Must have:

manual or auto-group option.

Single or cross server option.

Like to have:

Rating or friending system so I can look at the LFG list and see who I liked and who I would rather not run with again.

Within said system, the ability to open a chat (cross server if applies) with those friends. Kind of like a facebook wall in a way. Now I can socialize with more people and build a gamewide community! This idea needs some work but the idea is a LFG tool that works to create community. Crazy! (of course you can turn off or hide this feature if you like).

Ability to inspect gear and spec of people on LFG list. I know people will rage "no gearscore!" but this is not a number value that can be manipulated. I want to see what they actually have on. Maybe not 100% accurate as well but better than going in blind. This maybe a bit elitest. But hey if I want to make my group this way it is my option. If you don't just stick with your random pug. As always OPTIONAL.

MalignX
02.15.2012 , 07:47 PM | #196
Cross-Server Friends list. Or even better, a account-linked friends/ignore list. Easy breezy.
Cross-server or In-Server option for queuing. Easy.
Random or Manual option for queuing. Breezy.
Just because I do not care, does not mean I do not understand.

ferroz
02.15.2012 , 07:52 PM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by harpuax View Post
manual or auto-group option.
I'm skeptical about the notion of BW allowing manual querying of the cross lfg queues. They seem rather terrified of allowing unrestricted querying as it is (based on the way they force the gtn searches to filter by indexed fields first)

They'll have to have strict caps on the list returned to prevent competitors being able to data mine (as in, get demographics about the players and their grouping habits). Companies have been really cagey about that sort of thing since EQ turned off their numbers* and started restricting /who queries.

*they used to show the actual, hard logged in numbers at the server select.

harpuax
02.15.2012 , 08:01 PM | #198
Quote: Originally Posted by ferroz View Post
I'm skeptical about the notion of BW allowing manual querying of the cross lfg queues. They seem rather terrified of allowing unrestricted querying as it is (based on the way they force the gtn searches to filter by indexed fields first)

They'll have to have strict caps on the list returned to prevent competitors being able to data mine (as in, get demographics about the players and their grouping habits). Companies have been really cagey about that sort of thing since EQ turned off their numbers* and started restricting /who queries.

*they used to show the actual, hard logged in numbers at the server select.
Well that's for Bioware to do the heavy coding and figure this out. I am just expressing my wish for manual grouping. I don't want random groups as much as I don't want random char customization, random talent choices or random gear looks. RPGs (MMO or otherwise) are about customization for me. And I would't advocate for cross server if they could fix their server population issues.

Touchbass
02.15.2012 , 08:05 PM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by darkcerb View Post
The irony that this is more often then not their response will sadly be lost on them.
I'm glad some others see the hilarious of that too
Our lack of a proper LFD tool will black out the sun!
Then we shall cancel our subs in the shade!

Touchbass
02.15.2012 , 08:09 PM | #200
Quote: Originally Posted by Amiracle View Post
After the flashpoint is done can you socialize with the people who are not on your server?

You can do this in WoW

After the flashpoint is done can you come back tomorrow and run a flashpoint with them if they aren't on your server?

You can do this in WoW

You just finished running a flashpoint with 3 other people from different servers, can you invite them to your guild?

You can roll an alt on there server and vice versa, but you can group and raid with them regardless
I know I can do all these with people from my server.

How would a cross server LFG tool help you find people on your server to be social with?

Cause there is an included intra server tool as well
Stop making this about what side is more important, lets help both sides out and find solutions that don't punish people looking for group inside their server
Our lack of a proper LFD tool will black out the sun!
Then we shall cancel our subs in the shade!