Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Star wars 3d 4th for weekend


_Zorth_'s Avatar


_Zorth_
02.13.2012 , 09:13 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
He makes a lot of good points, and moreover, he does so from the perspective of being a filmmaker and student of such himself (Mike Stoklasa). I agree that there are people who do indeed wave his reviews around without fully understanding them, but that doesn't change the fact that most of the points he brings up are valid ones.
I can bet 100$ that if he really tried he'd be abe to make nitpicky reviews of the OT. There are already spoofs on RoTJ, ESB & ANH, Making fun of illogical things in the OT. Doesn't change the fact that the PT is bad, But the OT is a little bit overrated and the special effects are what really made people fall in love with the OT in teh 70/80's, Not the "Depth, Emotion, contrast" or whatever the hell people say these days.

Now back to the topic, How the hell can TPH be viewed in 3D when the film wasn't filmed in3D int he first place.. I smell a cash grab!
The Red Eclipse
Best Player World Wide
..Greedo shot first

AbelMorvant's Avatar


AbelMorvant
02.13.2012 , 09:15 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
He makes a lot of good points, and moreover, he does so from the perspective of being a filmmaker and student of such himself (Mike Stoklasa). I agree that there are people who do indeed wave his reviews around without fully understanding them, but that doesn't change the fact that most of the points he brings up are valid ones.
I'd say only about 20% of the points he makes are difficult to argue with.

RagnarokJC's Avatar


RagnarokJC
02.13.2012 , 09:16 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
I'd say only about 20% of the points he makes are difficult to argue with.
I'd say that it sounds like you've got a bit to learn about filmmaking, script writing, and directing, IMO.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

AbelMorvant's Avatar


AbelMorvant
02.13.2012 , 09:27 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
I'd say that it sounds like you've got a bit to learn about filmmaking, script writing, and directing, IMO.
Really? what was the last movie you made?

Darth_Xzar's Avatar


Darth_Xzar
02.13.2012 , 09:44 PM | #75
I guess I just can't resist giving my own opinion on TPH-3D. I watched it, I liked it and don't care about someone else's review of a movie. I was entertained and as I was leaving the theater I overheard two little boys raving over the movie to their dad, a basic retelling of the movie 10 minutes after it was over. I think that is the key here, most of us fell in love with Star Wars as a kid and now technology has caught up to George Lucas's vision of his world and he can do what he wants to get more fans. I just hope that maybe someday there is another trilogy from a galaxy far far away to capture our imaginations again.

RagnarokJC's Avatar


RagnarokJC
02.13.2012 , 09:49 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
Really? what was the last movie you made?
Resorting to ad hominem arguments already? Pity.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

Darth_Urtani's Avatar


Darth_Urtani
02.13.2012 , 09:51 PM | #77
I'm honestly surprised it did THAT well.
CE VIP

AbelMorvant's Avatar


AbelMorvant
02.13.2012 , 10:11 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
Resorting to ad hominem arguments already? Pity.
love how you avoid the point.

Ok, I'll apologize.

I'm sorry I'm not as dick hard about plinkett's comical reviews as everyone else, sorry for pointing out that he doesn't really hold any good arguments and all of his points are very biased.

You guys are confusing as hell, someone judges his review and you say "they're only supposed to be comedy, don't take them so seriously!" but then you bombard the forums every time anybody mentions they like even a scene from the prequels as if it needs to be seriously considered.

Sorry I insulted your comedy ultra brilliant god plinkett, i will never say anything bad about him. He is the most brilliant film critic/maker of all time and has every right to call Lucas a poor film maker.

If you don't like the prequels that's perfectly ok, but there's plenty of people who do and it's bs that you guys feel the need to come raining down on them every time they mention it.

Oh and btw, obiwan and vader's fight sucked in ANH. It was slow, sluggish, and extremely boring, I don't care how "deep" or "emotional" it was - I don't look to sci-fi's for that ****, I look to dramas.

RagnarokJC's Avatar


RagnarokJC
02.13.2012 , 10:48 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
love how you avoid the point.

Ok, I'll apologize.
Your point was an ad hominem attack, so I didn't feel any need to address it.

Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
I'm sorry I'm not as dick hard about plinkett's comical reviews as everyone else, sorry for pointing out that he doesn't really hold any good arguments and all of his points are very biased.
Appeals to emotion and generalizing make poor arguments. Also, to say that his points are "very biased" is itself redundant. Of course they're biased, since movie reviews are by nature subjective. That still doesn't change the fact that he brought up valid criticisms. If you have a problem with some of his points, bring them up and address them.

Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
You guys are confusing as hell, someone judges his review and you say "they're only supposed to be comedy, don't take them so seriously!" but then you bombard the forums every time anybody mentions they like even a scene from the prequels as if it needs to be seriously considered.
I never said that the reviews weren't to be taken seriously and neither have most of the people here who've agreed with them. You're now using the fallacious strawman argument. I could care less if anyone liked the PT films or any part of them. I am addressing attempts to defend them as good films in a forum. If you can't handle that, you can always leave the conversation.

Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
Sorry I insulted your comedy ultra brilliant god plinkett, i will never say anything bad about him. He is the most brilliant film critic/maker of all time and has every right to call Lucas a poor film maker.
Another appeal to emotion. It seems like this subject hit your buttons and thus your ability to argue.

Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
If you don't like the prequels that's perfectly ok, but there's plenty of people who do and it's bs that you guys feel the need to come raining down on them every time they mention it.
Appeal to emotion #3. Hand-wringing is really a poor way to debate anything, you know.

Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
Oh and btw, obiwan and vader's fight sucked in ANH. It was slow, sluggish, and extremely boring, I don't care how "deep" or "emotional" it was - I don't look to sci-fi's for that ****, I look to dramas.
So you're admitting here that you basically look for action in films you watch? Also, why do you assume that sci-fi films can't have emotion or depth? I'll list some sci-fi films that you likely haven't seen if you think that:

Blade Runner
Solaris (2002)
Deep Impact
Robocop
12 Monkeys
The Fifth Element
Bicentennial Man
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Planet of the Apes (1968)
28 Days Later
Minority Report
War of the Worlds (2005)
Serenity
WALL-E
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

AbelMorvant's Avatar


AbelMorvant
02.13.2012 , 11:58 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
Your point was an ad hominem attack, so I didn't feel any need to address it.


Appeals to emotion and generalizing make poor arguments. Also, to say that his points are "very biased" is itself redundant. Of course they're biased, since movie reviews are by nature subjective. That still doesn't change the fact that he brought up valid criticisms. If you have a problem with some of his points, bring them up and address them.
I could strip apart the entire review, but unfortunately I don't get paid for that nor do I have the time. Off the top of my head? The point of TPM not having a main character when the story obviously follows Qui Gon Jinn settling the Naboo conflict. Not being able to describe the characters:

Qui Gonn: Very centered and trusts his instincts even if it means defying his own masters. Qui Gonn meditating before going back into the duel with Maul, to me, was a great display of his character and something we've never seen any other Jedi do. Yes, all jedi are guardians of peace but I feel this much more with Qui Gonn and he seems more "liberal" than most Jedi. Even Yoda seems to have a shorter fuse than Qui Gonn.

Obi-Wan: Is a snob and I think we do see him progress into the more centered, accepting character we see in ANH. We see him in TPM to not wanting to deal with Anakin, to pushing himself into trying to fulfill Qui Gonn's wishes. In the episode 2 review it is implied that Obi-Wan is still annoyed by Anakin, but to me it came off more as "tough love".


Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
I never said that the reviews weren't to be taken seriously and neither have most of the people here who've agreed with them. You're now using the fallacious strawman argument. I could care less if anyone liked the PT films or any part of them. I am addressing attempts to defend them as good films in a forum. If you can't handle that, you can always leave the conversation.
This I will apologize for, however, it has been said a couple of times in this thread(and others) whenever I said anything negative about those videos. I apologize for directing this at you.



Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarokJC View Post
So you're admitting here that you basically look for action in films you watch? Also, why do you assume that sci-fi films can't have emotion or depth? I'll list some sci-fi films that you likely haven't seen if you think that:

Blade Runner
Solaris (2002)
Deep Impact
Robocop
12 Monkeys
The Fifth Element
Bicentennial Man
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Planet of the Apes (1968)
28 Days Later
Minority Report
War of the Worlds (2005)
Serenity
WALL-E

That's not what I said, I said sci-fi. Emotional depth to action/sci-fi movies are just a bonus. The original trilogy may be emotional but none of it is relateable which is continuously implied in Plinketts review(s). Can you honestly say that you relate to Luke? Were you once a farm boy who wanted to become a jedi? Yeah, there may be SOME connection to it, a very vague one like being a farm boy and wanting to become a police officer or maybe something else that's similar. (sorry, first scenario that comes to mind).

Most people goes to see those movies for one of two reasons: To see something visually stunning(including action sequences) or something that gets the wheels turning, if it has emotional depth then great! But that's not the core of sci-fi. If you want emotional depth or something you can relate to do you really think any Star Wars movie even comes close to movies like American History X?

I'd be willing to bet that people who saw the trailer for the first Star Wars didn't want to go see it because it had "emotional depth" but because it looked like it had pretty awesome special effects - The awesome storyline was just an extra bonus. When you see a trailer for a movie like say Precious, then yes, that's meant for emotional depth. If you go to see a movie like that and it fails to deliver then it's a terrible movie for its genre - The prequel trilogy is actually really decent sci-fi/action films, maybe the story wasn't as interesting as the OT but it still did it's job at serving its core, basic genre.

Edit: and my apologies are truely sincere for what I've said in my previous post and I cannot stress any more how sorry I am for insulting your intelligence with that kind of immaturity.