Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star wars 3d 4th for weekend

Aus_Jedi
02.13.2012 , 12:18 AM | #21
I saw Star Wars 3D on Saturday and was very disappointed in the quality of the 3D, but enjoyed watching the movie on the big screen again.

RagnarokJC
02.13.2012 , 12:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by keiklo View Post
Taken from yahoo.com

For the first time since Christmas weekend 2008 -- and for the first non-holiday weekend ever -- four movies debuted to more than $20 million. "The Vow" more than doubled that sum, taking an estimated $41.7 million. "Safe House" nearly doubled it, with $39.3 million.

"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" beat all expectations with $27.6 million and Fox's 3D re-release of "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" grossed a solid $23 million.

While it is too early in the year to say that the slump that plagued the box office in 2011 is over, Hollywood has reason to celebrate today.

"The weekend itself is a record-breaker," Nikki Rocco, Universal's distribution chief, told TheWrap Sunday morning.

In addition to this being the first non-holiday weekend to have four movies debut to more than $20 million, she said this is the biggest non-holiday February weekend ever

Proud i helped make this record setting achievement, but also mildly amused that out of all those brand new flicks something that people own on VHS, DVD, and BluRay was still able to achieve such a high number in 3 days.
Put it into the proper perspective: this is a 3D re-release that got its butt kicked by a critically-panned *romance* film. Romance, as in that genre that typically grosses less than just about any other outside of indie art-house films. I imagine the reason that Lucas picked this month was to avoid competition from summer films that would likely bury his film.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

kutulhu
02.13.2012 , 12:38 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Grissom View Post
So I dont think I can see a good script out of a bad one.

I mean, I like the goonies and Red Dawn and thought they were entertaining.

I am glad you actually gave me a reason why you didnt like them. If other feel that way then that is cool.

I personally dont look at movies and try to see how the script is doing or how fast or slow paced the moie is.

There is one movie I didnt like and it was called Dragon Wars that I rented. I could tell what the difference tat movie was compared to say, inception which was reeally entertaining. Dragon wars was not.

Maybe I dont have the nack to look at movies in dept like others do but I can honestly say that I wouldnt want too.

Im able to enjoy alot of different movies for their entertainment purposes such as The Poppet Master franchise. Blade FTW!

Anyway, thanks again for that.
I love Goonies. I love Red Dawn. I love Blade (even Blade: Trinity, which isn't great to say the least). So I understand liking films on a purely entertainment level. There is a 'bad movie' from 1975 called The Love Butcher. On the surface, its a cheap stalker film. But it contains such a tour de force acting job by the lead (playing multiple roles) that I can't help but love the film. Its campy and awesome at the same time. I just see anything in The Phantom Menace that engages me (except that one fight I mentioned).

I agree, Dragon Wars is the suck.

Cassidan
02.13.2012 , 02:13 AM | #24
It is because we are not the kids we were when we first saw the OT and can't relive that same child-like feeling with these new ones, therefore we dismiss them as being flawed when it is just us who have changed.

Rayzen
02.13.2012 , 02:31 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
Maybe you should actually try watching it then. I mean, I just watched 2-3 minutes of the superbowl, and figured if they're just going to hike the ball and throw it once without scoring.
I watched all the reviews and i find them hilarious. The movies got so much stupid mistakes in them, itīs just.....hilarious. But that doesnīt change the fact, that the movies entertained me. ^^

Jieljak
02.13.2012 , 02:46 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Aus_Jedi View Post
I saw Star Wars 3D on Saturday and was very disappointed in the quality of the 3D, but enjoyed watching the movie on the big screen again.
I think they did a good job, i'm impressed. Maybe your cinema was bad or your opinion about movie effect your opinion about 3D. I saw many new movies have worst 3D than Episode 1. And Episode 1 almost 15 years old.

With 15 years in mind, they made very good job.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite MMORPG game.

kutulhu
02.13.2012 , 04:10 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cassidan View Post
It is because we are not the kids we were when we first saw the OT and can't relive that same child-like feeling with these new ones, therefore we dismiss them as being flawed when it is just us who have changed.

This. And by 'this', I mean, 'this is not the case at all'

True. We might have been children when we saw the original. And it might have been why we liked it then. But the reason I saw Star Wars in the theater in 1977 is because by father went about 20 times. And he took his just over a year old son with him almost every time. (so yeah, technically I didnt really see it when it came out, but I was there a bunch of times ). And even seeing the film so many times, my father is not a huge Star Wars fan. In fact, he never talks about, has no Star Wars products, etc. He is a normal dad.

Also, Star Wars holds up after time. Lots of films I loved as kid do not. Blackhole, anyone. (sure the end is still great/bad/awesome)

What's my point?

Some people who love Star Wars and don't like the prequels were not children when Star Wars came out. Some of those people are not giant fan nerds. And 30+ years later, Star Wars is a classic.

The Phantom Menace did not reignite the franchise (say, the way the Dr Who was reignited in 2005). It rides its coattails and pretends it matters. Its exists because of Star Wars, and I don't mean just because its a prequel. If Phantom Menace came out by itself, as a stand alone movie (promising a trilogy) and there had been no Star Wars. No one would give a **** about it. it would have been laughed into oblivion.

Kemiho
02.13.2012 , 04:38 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Jieljak View Post
I think they did a good job, i'm impressed. Maybe your cinema was bad or your opinion about movie effect your opinion about 3D. I saw many new movies have worst 3D than Episode 1. And Episode 1 almost 15 years old.

With 15 years in mind, they made very good job.
Yes! Don't forget that they made the shots with normal cams and not with stereo cams. The recalculation to have two different angles is freaking hard. I must say that some scenes had like no 3D effect but some (especially on tatooine) were amazing. I really enjoyed the movie and I would watch it another time if theatres were not that expensive.

But I felt sad at the end when Darth Maul died :'(
Darth Keorai (Assassin)
<Sinister Triumvirate>

Gomla
02.13.2012 , 04:39 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Grissom View Post
Again, give me an actual REASON why they all were horrible.
The vast majority of the plot in the prequels was pointless.
There was NO lead character.
Some of the characters were so wooden even Captain Scarlet facepalmed.
Lack of personality.
Love story that slapped cheesy across the face and then broke all records for absolute nonsense.
JarJar Binks.
Pointless dialogue.
Actor playing Jedi igniting Lightsaber by swinging it over her head and then waving to someone off to her left ... I assume it was a member of production that just yelled "oi, that made you look like a moron".
None of the films had any "life" or "grit" to them because it was ALL green screened and CGI.
No tension or build up of any excitement.
The main plot was so thin Lindsay Lohan was jealous.

And that is from someone who didn't mind them.

Rilman
02.13.2012 , 04:54 AM | #30
I'll give you the main reason the movies suck, its because they took a character from our childhoods, our most favorite character ever as children and teenagers, a character who was the baddest, meanest, coolest, bad guy ever, and turned him into, first an annoying little kid who build C2PO (***????) flew spaceships at the age of 10 or something, and then into a really badly acted, (seen him in any films lately? no? didn't think so) whiney teenager, who I'd like to punch repeatedly, there was no anger or darkness, just stupidness and a stroppy little dickwad, what a total let down.

Vader was supposed to turn to the darkside and murder all the Jedi in epic battles until eventually Obi-Wan caught up with him and defeated him, instead, what we were served was a whiney little ***** who had a bad dream and killed some children and a poorly acted wife who just dropped dead because she'd 'given up', even though she'd just given birth to two children (*** again?) , talk about the almightiest epic fail ever in the human history of movie making.

Its like taking someones favorite thing of a certain era and covering it in crap, taking out everything that made it epic and replacing it with crap, then handing it back and telling them its the same thing but better.
Jahel
Radiant Knights

swtor.radiantknights.co.uk