Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gabe Amatangelo's WZ Preferencing Feedback

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Gabe Amatangelo's WZ Preferencing Feedback

FaceVex
02.12.2012 , 05:43 PM | #1
I rarely post but I found myself compelled to do so after reading this.

Gabe Amatangelo recently replied to a Q&A question regarding WZ queueing with the following:

"Simoon: Will you be adding the option to choose what Warzone you enter a queue for?

"Not until we introduce cross server queuing. If we were to allow players to choose their Warzone before they could queue across servers, then it would negatively affect how often every player would see a Warzone – and for every player that loves a certain Warzone there is another player that hates it. The population would end up divided by their Warzone choice, negatively affecting the time it would take for a specific Warzone to become available for anyone. With cross server queuing we will still have a preference to match players of the same server, but those players who choose specific preferences such as these will likely end up in a match with players in the larger Wargroup."

This logic is problematic for the following reasons:

1. "for every player that loves a certain warzone there is another that hates it". For this reason, you're concluding that we must make everyone play all warzones until we can get enough people to que for all the WZs and then you may give us the choice to opt out of specific wzs? This is ridiculous. If you find that very few people que for one of your WZs, then that means that warzone has a problem and perhaps you should replace or change it. Let us decide on how we wish to play the game and then you should react based on the way we're playing it. Forcing all warzones down our throats is ridiculous.

2. "the population would end up divided by their Warzone choice, negatively affecting the time it would take for a specific Warzone to become available for anyone." So what? If given the choice to do no WZ or a WZ I despise, i choose no WZ every time. Additinoally, if you are forcing people to play an unpopular WZ, then this is an admission that the WZ is flawed and should be changed or removed. People will que according to wait times and preference. If they are finding that their preference takes too long for the WZ to pop because of population imbalance issues or that their WZ preference is a minority, they may on their own then opt to change their que preference. But let us decide this for ourselves.

3. At no time during our play time should the game make these choices for the players. Give us complete choice to select our WZ and then make your decisions as a company based off the preferences you are seeing the community make. If you're truly interested in tailoring the game to the demands of your community. Allow the community to make choices so you can gain real feedback. If you find that the community consistently opts out of a specific WZ, then you will learn from that.

4. Has it occurred to you that it is entirely possible that you have people opting to not que for Warzones at all because they're tired of Huttball? I personally, do not mind huttball. But I will not que for it 50 times in a row either. That is mind numbing. However, many of us would like to que for WZs and we don't mind how long it takes so long as it's not the same thing over and over. If you truly wish to gauge the pulse of the community, then you must be willing to allow us to make these kinds of choices for ourselves.

It is my hope that you will find the value in giving us choice here. Making the decision for us is not only bad for the players, but it is a poor measurement of the success of the WZs you're implemented into the game.

Regards,
Face'Man
Guild Leader, Vex
http://vex.sithportal.com

KiranK
02.12.2012 , 05:48 PM | #2
Wasn't Gabe Amantangelo on the WAR PvP team? 'Nuff said.
There's no QQing in baseball.

FaceVex
02.12.2012 , 05:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by KiranK View Post
Wasn't Gabe Amantangelo on the WAR PvP team? 'Nuff said.
At least in WAR we were able to choose our WZs.
Face'Man
Guild Leader, Vex

mdkmaster
02.12.2012 , 06:01 PM | #4
The inability to queue for what I want to is part of the reason i'm not bothering to renew. I have to get into a wz, just to find out its huttball, then I quit. If these people can't be bothered to fix an obviously broken system. I can't be bothered to continue giving them my money.

War, in the first month, was awesome. Problem with War, was that the devs couldn't fix the problems with an awesome system. The fix was to remove all the fun stuff, instead of fixing it. Great. Now we have these people working on pvp for swtor? Yeah...I have no faith that anything is going to get fixed, it'll just get removed because they don't know how to fix it.

GW2 FTW.

Jhera
02.12.2012 , 06:05 PM | #5
Gabe is a terrible PvP creator, you realize this yes? This is not the first game he's ruined in his career.
A post in derp will remain in derp unless acted upon by an equal or greater derp.

FaceVex
02.14.2012 , 12:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jhera View Post
Gabe is a terrible PvP creator, you realize this yes? This is not the first game he's ruined in his career.
Maybe so, but I still have hope that there is someone at BW with rational thought left that listens to the community feedback.
Face'Man
Guild Leader, Vex

FaceVex
02.14.2012 , 12:47 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by mdkmaster View Post
The inability to queue for what I want to is part of the reason i'm not bothering to renew. I have to get into a wz, just to find out its huttball, then I quit. If these people can't be bothered to fix an obviously broken system. I can't be bothered to continue giving them my money.

War, in the first month, was awesome. Problem with War, was that the devs couldn't fix the problems with an awesome system. The fix was to remove all the fun stuff, instead of fixing it. Great. Now we have these people working on pvp for swtor? Yeah...I have no faith that anything is going to get fixed, it'll just get removed because they don't know how to fix it.

GW2 FTW.
Sadly, much of this is true. And WAR was amazing at first, I agree. We had some epic keep takes that reminded me of daoc. However, I haven't given up hope with this game. I'm still hoping for real faction bases with write assault instead of its current form where all we have to do is click on an objective to take it. Open world pvp is another beast altogether. So I'll drag myself back to the original thought of wz preferencing.
Face'Man
Guild Leader, Vex

Roak
02.14.2012 , 12:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by FaceVex View Post
Maybe so, but I still have hope that there is someone at BW with rational thought left that listens to the community feedback.
lol

all I don't think community feedback factors into many of their decisions. I think they decide something in a meeting and we get it whether we want it or not, after all BW knows what we want more than we do.

and pretty much everything I hear from Gabe convinces me more and more he has very little control over pvp design decisions (or just isn't very good or has never actually played an mmo that he isn't working on).
things need to change
We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team™
~
You have no play time.

SirRobin
02.14.2012 , 12:49 PM | #9
That's a shame. I thought Gabe was smarter than that.

MiaRB
02.14.2012 , 12:50 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Roak View Post
lol

all I don't think community feedback factors into many of their decisions. I think they decide something in a meeting and we get it whether we want it or not, after all BW knows what we want more than we do.
feedback is a major factor in what they decide to do. problem is, many people think their personal opinions represent the majority of the player base when in fact it doesnt.
can't wait for this game to come out!