Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Wolfshead.com's SWTOR Review: MMORPG Design & Commentary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Wolfshead.com's SWTOR Review: MMORPG Design & Commentary

Traumahawk's Avatar


Traumahawk
02.12.2012 , 06:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Bazouk View Post
he writes this review as his character is level 20.

nuff said.
Be glad, because if he was writing a review of SWTOR at level 50, the article would have been much worse.

Traumahawk's Avatar


Traumahawk
02.12.2012 , 06:33 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by xxAtticusxx View Post
I gave up reading after the first 5 WoW references. I have NEVER played WoW, never will. I don't get why every single MMORPG to be released HAS to be compared to WoW. Tbph, I think there are a lot of free-to-play MMOs that are better than WoW, in terms of gameplay, graphics and aesthetics.

Basically, I thought he was meant to be reviewing SWTOR, not WoW...
This blogger has been one of the most vocal critics of WoW and Blizzard in general. He's the type of player/designer that wants the entire genre shaken up and re-invented. But what I gathered from his review was what many people have been saying: if you are going to copy WoW (nearly spell by spell), at least do it well AND introduce some variation on the themes. And like other SWTOR critics, he acknowledges that the story-driven content is one of the game's bright spots.

Flyceratops's Avatar


Flyceratops
02.12.2012 , 06:35 PM | #23
Quote:
I have played about 20 levels of SWTOR and this review is by no means complete or comprehensive. It is just my thoughts based on my limited experiences. However, Iíve spent enough time playing MMOs to know if Iím going to like a MMO within short order.
You only got to level twenty and you're 'reviewing' the game? You're aware most reviewers at least try to be objective, right? You just took a lot of validity off of anything you have to say because of the incredibly low amount of relative gameplay you have done.

Quote:
Grouping is rare and even when it does happen in the flashpoints, nobody wants to talk as theyíve been conditioned by WoWís dungeon finder to complete the experience as fast as possible. The legacy of Blizzardís dungeon finder technology is that challenging content such as dungeons has become routine and business-like experience for most players. Adventuring has become an exercise in speed and efficiency. This is a tragedy for grouping and socialization.
Really? I've found the exact opposite - opportunities for grouping while leveling are plenty and often taken by players on my server, although it gets harder as you level up because there are less people per zone. You wouldn't know that though, since you only played twenty levels (taking the objectivity of this particular statement, once again, into question.).

Quote:
By far the worst Blizzard design philosophy that Bioware has copied is the notion that players should be rewarded for just showing up. The sense of achievement and its progeny: status ó both critical motivational factors that keep players playing have been completely eroded. Recklessly pandering to the lowest common denominator leads to the creation a sense of entitlement among players that every ounce of content is theirs by right to experience regardless of skill level or commitment. Instead of being viewed as citizens of a virtual world, players are now seen as amusement park customers and treated as such.
I've never understood this line of reasoning; because rewards are given to casual players, rewards are somehow meaningless? I think it's pretty cool that your character ends up with a bunch of titles just by playing casually, for example, and there are still a lot of things you can only get in the game by being a successful (non-casual) player.

Less 'pandering to the lowest common denominator' more 'putting multiple levels of challenge into a multifaceted game'.

Your review seemed less objective and more 'hey, I played the game for a shorter amount of time than it takes to properly judge it, but I get to talk about how the genre has declined because of the time I spent on it!'

I'm not a rabid fanboy (the reason I link my review in my signature is to prove this), but I do attempt to be objective and I think that it's ridiculous to claim your opinion is valid when you haven't played the game enough for it to be anywhere near that.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
02.12.2012 , 06:36 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Traumahawk View Post
This blogger has been one of the most vocal critics of WoW and Blizzard in general. He's the type of player/designer that wants the entire genre shaken up and re-invented. But what I gathered from his review was what many people have been saying: if you are going to copy WoW (nearly spell by spell), at least do it well AND introduce some variation on the themes. And like other SWTOR critics, he acknowledges that the story-driven content is one of the game's bright spots.
I see that I also looked at his previous posts and saw that Everquest was his first MMO and he has been trying to find a replacement ever since. He was even a volunteer guide on Everquest.

The guys just a Everquest fanboy and hasn't liked anything else since.

Not exactly an objective review is it.

Traumahawk's Avatar


Traumahawk
02.12.2012 , 06:38 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Flyceratops View Post
You only got to level twenty and you're 'reviewing' the game? You're aware most reviewers at least try to be objective, right? You just took a lot of validity off of anything you have to say because of the incredibly low amount of relative gameplay you have done.


Really? I've found the exact opposite - opportunities for grouping while leveling are plenty and often taken by players on my server, although it gets harder as you level up because there are less people per zone. You wouldn't know that though, since you only played twenty levels (taking the objectivity of this particular statement, once again, into question.).


I've never understood this line of reasoning; because rewards are given to casual players, rewards are somehow meaningless? I think it's pretty cool that your character ends up with a bunch of titles just by playing casually, for example, and there are still a lot of things you can only get in the game by being a successful (non-casual) player.

Less 'pandering to the lowest common denominator' more 'putting multiple levels of challenge into a multifaceted game'.

Your review seemed less objective and more 'hey, I played the game for a shorter amount of time than it takes to properly judge it, but I get to talk about how the genre has declined because of the time I spent on it!'

I'm not a rabid fanboy (the reason I link my review in my signature is to prove this), but I do attempt to be objective and I think that it's ridiculous to claim your opinion is valid when you haven't played the game enough for it to be anywhere near that.
"I have played about 20 levels of SWTOR and this review is by no means complete or comprehensive. It is just my thoughts based on my limited experiences. However, Iíve spent enough time playing MMOs to know if Iím going to like a MMO within short order."

JonnyFreedom's Avatar


JonnyFreedom
02.12.2012 , 06:40 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Bazouk View Post
he writes this review as his character is level 20.

nuff said.
I could write the same review and I have 2 level 50's both of which are war hero's with HM EV/Hutt kills. This game dies at 50. Anything that makes it good ceases to exist after 49. It should have been sold as a single player game that ended at 50. Then it would have been an awesome game. But paying 15 bucks a month for that experience.. isn't worth the cash.

This game is WoW in space with a slight star wars theme and voice acting.

Traumahawk's Avatar


Traumahawk
02.12.2012 , 06:41 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
I see that I also looked at his previous posts and saw that Everquest was his first MMO and he has been trying to find a replacement ever since. He was even a volunteer guide on Everquest.

The guys just a Everquest fanboy and hasn't liked anything else since.

Not exactly an objective review is it.
Not sure I've ever found an objective review of any video game on someone's personal blog. I mean... a blog is meant to be a collection of your editorials for the whole world to see. Though I disagree with many things he has said, I'm not sure the rebuttals should center around him being objective--like I said, it's a blog, not a piece of journalism.

http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/thoug...logging/#8958c

Proto's Avatar


Proto
02.12.2012 , 06:43 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_Cruiser View Post
His concluding thoughts are spot on.
Yep, they sure are. I think the one thing you can take from it is just how bad MMO's have gotten overall in recent years. The creativity and innovation are just gone for whatever reason. "Least common denominator" was one of the phrases he used which is exactly how we see things being designed now.

Vlacke's Avatar


Vlacke
02.12.2012 , 06:43 PM | #29
Garbage review.
Not to mention the fact that OP is one of the most active forum dwelling trolls, restless even.

Flyceratops's Avatar


Flyceratops
02.12.2012 , 06:45 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Traumahawk View Post
"I have played about 20 levels of SWTOR and this review is by no means complete or comprehensive. It is just my thoughts based on my limited experiences. However, Iíve spent enough time playing MMOs to know if Iím going to like a MMO within short order."
Yes; he used that as a disclaimer in case there was criticism, and I happened to read it.

I just chose to ignore it because disclaimers like that are stupid when you're putting your opinion in a public place and saying it should be listened to (which you do when you state such an opinion in such a place-it's implied.).