Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Wolfshead.com's SWTOR Review: MMORPG Design & Commentary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Wolfshead.com's SWTOR Review: MMORPG Design & Commentary

kevlarto
02.13.2012 , 09:36 AM | #241
another opinion on the game, why should I care, my opinion is the only one that matters to me, how do I know these people like what i do, another waste of thread space /sigh
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Kourage
02.13.2012 , 09:37 AM | #242
This thread has generated more web traffic to that terrible blog than it's had in it's entire history.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

sanctimonia
02.13.2012 , 09:38 AM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by DTuloJr View Post
I've never said that SWTOR was a massive failure. However, it was pushed out the door at least 3 months too early, missing MAJOR features of other MMO's it is in direct competition with, due to nothing more than the arrogence of a few of its developers who refused to listen to an experienced group of testers over the course of over an entire year. As a DIRECT result, the recipe for failure is quite present.

However, I have NEVER said I want SWTOR to fail, or flop. You and other gushing fanboys that violently attack any hint of dissatifaction with the product do far more damage than anyone on these boards criticizing the game ever could hope to achieve; you give the developers a false sense that everything is perfectly okay and nothing needs to change, when the reality is that the game is missing major features, has a ton of bugs, and people have been asked to give money to a company who felt it was okay to put out such a mediocre and sub-standard product and then ask for people to continue to pay them while they *might* get around to fixing the bugs, and *might* add some features here and there to appease their customers, though there's no guarantee of either; here's an IOU, *wink*.

BioWare Austin just began their relationship with their customers with a bait-and-switch cheap sales tactic, followed by giving them IOU's, in exchange for their customers continuing to pay them so that they might do something. What is just so sickening is the fact that they were WARNED about this *months* prior to release, and the gushing fanboys came in, said how wonderful the game was, and did their damage. Now, BWA is in damage control mode, just as they were warned.

Those are the cold, hard facts, that you and others just don't seem to get.
No those are cold hard opinions...again you some how thing your opinion = fact....it doesnt sorry.

I also done see how I can be a gushing fanboy when I have an active WoW account along side my SWTOR account....if I was sucha fanboy wouldnt I forsake WoW for SWTOR? But again you never let facts get in your way yet why start now?

GalacticKegger
02.13.2012 , 09:42 AM | #244
I've never said that SWTOR was a massive failure. However, it was pushed out the door at least 3 months too early, missing MAJOR features of other MMO's it is in direct competition with, due to nothing more than the arrogence of a few of its developers who refused to listen to an experienced group of testers over the course of over an entire year. As a DIRECT result, the recipe for failure is quite present.
Actually the release schedule was EA's decision, not BioWare's. Worst case the game will lose half a million subs over the next 3 months because of it, half of that in the next 30 days. But that still keeps it over a million subs and more will come in yo offset it. That's just the nature of the beast. I mean, even STO has a healthy base now and its core space combat game was totally unplayable at launch. TOR will be fine. They'll have 3 mil by Christmas, more if space combat is opened up to even instanced free flight exploration and combat.
Peace out . . .

Dezzi
02.13.2012 , 09:57 AM | #245
I thought it was an interesting read, but he meanders too much. His conclusions were a nice summation of his overall point, which is to say he brings up so valid criticisms.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

Dezzi
02.13.2012 , 10:00 AM | #246
You just called SWTOR a "used car," and called the executives, managers, developers, legal, and marketing staff of Lucasfilm, LucasArts, Electronic Arts, BioWare, and BioWare Austin "used car salesmen." With what's been given to us, with what they spent developing it, and how they're pushing it and their IOU's..

You are correct.
Here's another analogy:

A city (ElectronicArts) decides to put in a new toll road (Old Republic) out to this great development called MMOland. Unfortunately, winter (read: Christmas) is coming so they have to finish the road quickly over the summer in order to maximize on toll collections during the holiday traffic season (box sales and subscriptions).

So EA City hires a contractor (BioWare) that promises to do this--and do it in an excitingly new way (the tolls talk to drivers and don't require actual people to man them). But because of the time crunch and BioWare Concrete's insistence on doing things their own way, by November they end up with a toll road that makes it only most of the way to MMOland, and it's full of potholes.

The holidays arrive and EA City is excited it's going to fill up their budget gaps for the last year with collections from the new toll road, so they open TOR Road anyway.

That's when it happens--when drivers discover that the road out to MMOland is bumpy and winding, and it's hard to justify paying a toll for such an unfinished stretch of road. Many of them go back to using other routes that might get them to their destination longer, but smoother. Others just park their cars at the end of the road and wait for the contractors to come finish it.

EA City then jumps at their contractor, BioWare Concrete, and tells them they need to get their road up to speed and fast! So what does the contractor do? They spend all of what little trickled back down from what the city managed to collect from tolls, and try to fill the gaps and potholes, but the road is still ultimately unfinished. You're not getting to MMOland on the new TOR Road anytime soon.

In the end, TOR Road is bumpy, it's missing chunks here and there, and it has an expensive toll considering you never really get to your destination.

tldr: TOR is an unfinished road, and BioWare has to spend its time and money filling gaps and holes while leaving the end of the road still unfinished.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

IGsChevy
02.13.2012 , 01:08 PM | #247
The reviewer brought up a few interesting points, but what matters to me is that I'm having fun while I play. As long as the game is fun then I will gladly continue to sub. I'm quite sure there are those of you who will be amazed that anyone could have fun with this game, but *NEWS FLASH* it's happening! There are plenty of people enjoying ourselves in the world of TOR. There are plenty of problems with the game. There are lots of quality of life improvements and bug fixes that need to be implemented. Regardless, the game is fun to me so I will continue to play.