Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Wolfshead.com's SWTOR Review: MMORPG Design & Commentary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Wolfshead.com's SWTOR Review: MMORPG Design & Commentary

Dantragk
02.12.2012 , 06:02 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by IIII-IIII-IIII View Post
Why are "reviews" still being posted?
It's only good to post them if they spin it in a positive light!

Red_Cruiser
02.12.2012 , 06:03 PM | #12
His concluding thoughts are spot on.

Xaeberain
02.12.2012 , 06:05 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by truedark View Post
Didn't like it. Person who wrote it was reviewing it against his expectations and not how the game was.
I followed the game since late '08 and my expectations were not how the game turned out....
That means one or both of two things...I was lied to or I completely had no comprehension of anything I read for those years and I'm a complete moron.

I may be that moron but I know that right up until the last year of development I had no idea this game was going to be like this...hell, right up until a couple of months before release and I got in to the beta I had no idea.
So don't fault this guy for his expectations. Many of us were greatly deceived either by our own desire for a great game or the EA/BW hype machine.

Yndras
02.12.2012 , 06:11 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Agobi View Post
Well,its not excactly a glowing review,so bioware Defense Force is bound to show up and point out how wrong and clueless this reviewer is

in 3...2 ...1..go!
You should consider using your time more constructively. Those so called " Bioware Defense force" people are entitled to their opinion and entitled to enjoy and pray tell, enjoy a game you do not.

The fact that the review suggests the budget was 300million suggests this guy does not do his homework or research.

He also makes a few other weak points such as saying that clicking an npc gives you a full audio greeting...... i mean come on, npc's in this game give you a freaking cutscene.

Dificulty scales dramatically after level 20. 1-20 is the prologe, the game or story hasn't even really begun by then.

If the game was as revolutionary as this guy wanted, his review would say the following.

Why did bioware not implement "insert feature here" like wow, why would you stray from an industry startard implementation of "insert feature here"

There is enough of this on the forums as it is.
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

Yndras
02.12.2012 , 06:18 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Xaeberain View Post
I followed the game since late '08 and my expectations were not how the game turned out....
That means one or both of two things...I was lied to or I completely had no comprehension of anything I read for those years and I'm a complete moron.

I may be that moron but I know that right up until the last year of development I had no idea this game was going to be like this...hell, right up until a couple of months before release and I got in to the beta I had no idea.
So don't fault this guy for his expectations. Many of us were greatly deceived either by our own desire for a great game or the EA/BW hype machine.
What were you expecting?

An action based mmo combat machine like DCUO?
A grind fest like Aion?
A truely innovative combat and guild system like AOC?
A pvp focused rvr onslaught like WAR?
A deep space sim like EVE with auto attack and autoflight combat?

Or, did you want an mmo with cinematic qaulity graphics that was freeflowing and flawless chorographed combat that was dynamic with shifting and moving world naratives that somehow tied into the story of millions of players that made sence even tho you have chosen to destroy a planet and they had not.

If its the latter i can understand why your disapointed. You needed the star wars matrix, and this is why you are disapointed.
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

Selaik
02.12.2012 , 06:18 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Proto View Post
One of the most popular MMO blogs for the past 5 years writes a very elaborate and thorough review of Bioware's epic Star Wars project.

http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/

Direct link: http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414

Enjoy the good read.
How many hours a day to you waist trying to bash this game ? its crazy .

xxAtticusxx
02.12.2012 , 06:18 PM | #17
I gave up reading after the first 5 WoW references. I have NEVER played WoW, never will. I don't get why every single MMORPG to be released HAS to be compared to WoW. Tbph, I think there are a lot of free-to-play MMOs that are better than WoW, in terms of gameplay, graphics and aesthetics.

Basically, I thought he was meant to be reviewing SWTOR, not WoW...
Atti'cus / Mi'ah / Kaey'n

Jaey'den / Na'lla / Att'ii / At'ti / Ma'kii

Xaeberain
02.12.2012 , 06:20 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Yndras View Post
He also makes a few other weak points such as saying that clicking an npc gives you a full audio greeting...... i mean come on, npc's in this game give you a freaking cutscene.
He meant random NPC's not quest givers. Random NPC's in this game are like automatons. They never move nor stop what they're doing nor even give a scripted word or two upon clicking them. Some are even unclickable so they're just cardboard cut-outs sitting there for no apparent reason.

A small complaint I suppose but when you make the comparison of SWTOR a game made in 2012 and WoW a game made in 2005...and the 05 game has stupid little features like that and the '12 one doesn't it just makes it look rushed and unpolished.

justadude
02.12.2012 , 06:24 PM | #19
Some excellent points are made.

jarjarloves
02.12.2012 , 06:25 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Proto View Post
One of the most popular MMO blogs for the past 5 years
based on what? I know it's not based on amount of page views.