Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Radeon HD 4870

mrshift
02.12.2012 , 05:00 PM | #1
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone on the forum is using a Radeon HD 4870, and if it is behaving for them.

I am still encountering flickering (small, square) artefacts and freezes (every 10-15 seconds), genuinely making SWTOR unplayable. I've also had two hard reboots, which is why I stopped playing for some time. Drivers are completely up to date, shadows off, bloom off.

I guess I'm employing process of elimination, and trying to establish just where the problem is.

I'm considering upgrading to a GeForce GTX 560, but I'd need to be confident that:

1. The HD 4870 is giving others graphical/gameplay issues, AND
2. Others using the GTX 560 consistently report no graphical problems.

I'd rather not shell out c.150 and be no better off.

Cheers.

(Windows 7 Pro x64, 8Gb RAM.)

Catchmeifucan
02.12.2012 , 05:03 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by mrshift View Post
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone on the forum is using a Radeon HD 4870, and if it is behaving for them.

I am still encountering flickering (small, square) artefacts and freezes (every 10-15 seconds), genuinely making SWTOR unplayable. I've also had two hard reboots, which is why I stopped playing for some time. Drivers are completely up to date, shadows off, bloom off.

I guess I'm employing process of elimination, and trying to establish just where the problem is.

I'm considering upgrading to a GeForce GTX 560, but I'd need to be confident that:

1. The HD 4870 is giving others graphical/gameplay issues, AND
2. Others using the GTX 560 consistently report no graphical problems.

I'd rather not shell out c.150 and be no better off.

Cheers.

(Windows 7 Pro x64, 8Gb RAM.)
Can you post you DxDiag(in spoiler tags)

Did you get the recent driver update for catalyst? (like less than a week old)
Say no to predefined avatars

Daisai
02.12.2012 , 05:05 PM | #3
And some more detailed specifications about your hardware would be nice.

Paralassa
02.12.2012 , 05:07 PM | #4
Hi there!

There are existing discussion threads regarding computer hardware which you may find very helpful:

You can also check out our General FAQs for information about minimum system specifications.

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread. Please use one of the topics linked above for further questions and discussion of hardware specifications. Thank you!