Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows closing other windows

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Windows closing other windows

Melkathi
02.12.2012 , 03:51 PM | #1
I was writting a bug report. Bugs happen after all and instead of whining about them, we should write a report and help the devs make this game as great as it can be... right?

Of course just as I finished writing the ticket, hit "Create Ticket" and was about to hit "Submit ticket", Risha returned from her slicing mission.
Woosh, customer support window closed so I can get the mission reward window.

Of course the "created" ticket has not been saved. Time to re-write it. But this time I am smart, before opening the ticket I check that no companion is due back from a crafting mission. I am just about to write the next ticket when enemies spot me. I was smart but not that smart I guess. I was standing close to where the bug happened, stealthed. I should have made sure I was even further away and found a guaranteed safe spot I guess...

So I beat the imperial guard and find a safe spot. I check my crew. I seem to have time. I write the ticket and before hitting "Create" I pause for thought: "Is there any more info that could help?"
Doh! Never think when creating a ticket! Bowdaar grunts his return with a lockbox.

Ok don't think while writting. Besides, the ticket has been written twice. You know now what needs to go in there. Take a deep breath, calm down... check the crew. Two companions due in under two minutes. Ok, chat with friends for two minutes then write the ticket.

Hurray! Ticket created and submitted.

Maybe though write CS some feedback in another ticket so they know how frustrating reporting a bug can be. Yeah, that may be a good idea. After all, it is not a "discussion" topic. It's simple feedback. And there is a General/Other section in the ticket system.
Start writing a small comment on how the cancelation of support tickets through mission reward pop ups is a bad thing.
Argh! I should have paid more attention during maths! Risha and Bowdaar canceled two attempts at the original ticket. C2-N2 and Akaavi I waited to return before the third attempt; I forgot about Guss! Guss' proud look at bringing me a rakata mind-link device changes to perplexed bewilderment as I express my annoyance at his arrival.

Ok, I guess the CS system is really not for me. But it isn't CS's fault, right? It's a UI problem. Why could they not just have windows on top of each other? Why could mission rewards not simply show up as pending when you have other windows open?
When it happens with the GTN it's bad enough. But when it happens with the CS / Help interface? People are probably already a bit annoyed in the first place when they ahve to use those.

I do hope that the devs will, while improving the UI, look at this as well.

Calsetes
02.13.2012 , 11:12 AM | #2
I've had many a window close on me because my peons came running back to tell me that they failed missions. I totally agree - can the UI guys maybe look into making the companion popups ONLY display if there's enough "screen room" to do it, and otherwise just make their little "I'm back" quote with a "1 Pending" in the corner like if you were in battle? I think this would alleviate a bit of stress on people trying to submit tickets, look at the map, queue up crafting stuff, change mods in equipment, write mail... pretty much anything that takes up either the whole screen, or both "halves" of the screen with windows.

Or make them stackable. That works, too. And preferably resizable, but stackable would be a minimum.
The average person thinks he isn't.
-Anonymous

Melkathi
02.13.2012 , 01:08 PM | #3
It should not even be hard to do this. The tech is there. While you are in combat there is a flag that prevents pop-ups. Add another marker to other situations.

Lasarith
02.13.2012 , 01:10 PM | #4
While this Dosent fix them poping up while writting bug reports -should help with the GTN.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297135
10 Years and over 20 Mmo's and i still miss the first

Katarine
02.13.2012 , 01:17 PM | #5
This is one of the most frustrating UI designs & has been repeatedly reported & ignored.

It's like the old WoW mailbox where you could write a very long & detailed letter to someone only to lose the whole thing when some player opened a Trade Window begging for Gold.

Right now the ONLY work-around is to wait until all your Crew are back from missions BEFORE writing a Ticket.

Winterblink
02.13.2012 , 01:20 PM | #6
The UI here is basically designed around having, at max and in order of opening, two smaller sized windows (inventory, character sheet, etc.), or one large window (map). Keep opening more, and other things start to close.

It's horrible.

Melkathi
02.13.2012 , 03:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Katarine View Post
Right now the ONLY work-around is to wait until all your Crew are back from missions BEFORE writing a Ticket.
Yeah.
Which is ridiculous considering that a person writing the bug report wont be in the best mood to start with

Quething
02.13.2012 , 09:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Melkathi View Post
It should not even be hard to do this. The tech is there. While you are in combat there is a flag that prevents pop-ups. Add another marker to other situations.
Wait. What?

I've stopped running missions while I'm doing heroics because the reward screen always pops in the middle of a fight and fraks up my tanking.

Melkathi
02.14.2012 , 06:09 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
Wait. What?

I've stopped running missions while I'm doing heroics because the reward screen always pops in the middle of a fight and fraks up my tanking.
Yeah sorry. Big oops there. I somehow forgot to type the word "space" before combat

Quething
02.16.2012 , 05:26 AM | #10
Haha, damn. You got my hopes up there for a second!