Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Maul's Role in the Star Wars Universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Maul's Role in the Star Wars Universe

Talkarr
02.12.2012 , 08:55 PM | #11
Darth Maul did survive episode one. Look him up on Wookiepedia
Collectors Edition holder!

Fyurii
02.12.2012 , 11:12 PM | #12
Maul had two things going for him that set up his "cool" factor.
Demonic looking face, and a Lightsaber that had never been seen in the movies before.

If he'd had more than five small appearances before his battle with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, along with more dialogue and actually being seen doing more than just being Sidious' lackey, then he'd be comparable to Vader in the villain stakes.

Dooku should have had more screen time. Hell, Dooku could have been the main villain for most of the prequel trilogy. Instead he's relegated to being a secondary character like Maul, and is replaced by the pointless CGI job that is Greivous, who has a pitiful onscreen fight with Obi-Wan.

Meanwhile, the closest thing to a singular villain that runs the course of the prequels is Mr. Machiavellian himself, Darth Sidious. Who doesn't appear as Darth Sidious all that often, and only "lets loose" in the last part of the prequels.

All in all, it's yet another area where Lucas dropped the ball because he was trying to rush the plot of the prequel trilogy.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

kutulhu
02.12.2012 , 11:17 PM | #13
Maul was a MacGuffin. It's just that simple.

MajinEddie
02.13.2012 , 12:35 AM | #14
How did he survive when he was cut in half? Looked that way in the movie anyways. Mual was cool tho. Count duke sucked. I could kill count dukes old ***.

JDTC
02.13.2012 , 01:17 AM | #15
darth maul should not have been in the movies at all. he was barely a character. he was more like a "plot" device that had arms and legs and could dance around with a lightsaber.

christopher lee should have been the Darth Vader of all 3 prequel films because he is a good actor and can play a villain. darth maul was not a villain. he was a stunt-man with face paint and did nothing at all and served no purpose.

darth maul and general grievous were pretty much the same character. a boring emotionless nobody that accomplished very little and died ignobly at the hands of obi wan. neither of them should have existed.
i support powertech

Dyvid
02.13.2012 , 01:33 AM | #16
Thing is Maul could have never united the Seps into starting a war. He was Sid's assasin and just like Dooku he was nothing but a tool to reach a goal.

AGoldCrayon
02.13.2012 , 02:08 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
No.. just no.

1st. Maul is overrated, and in the EU books his character has no personality or anything. He is like a Robot Assassin.
HK-47 has more personality than Maul, and would take offense to this comparison. Meatbag.

Zumaeta
02.13.2012 , 06:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
No.. just no.

1st. Maul is overrated, and in the EU books his character has no personality or anything. He is like a Robot Assassin.

2nd. In the Darth Plageuis, it even states Maul was a tool. Maul was a tool, and Sidious knew Maul would never come close to outranking him. In fact Plageuis even knew it to. Maul's role in the Grand PLan was to reveal the Sith and that was it.

And the arguement, Savage is suppose to be Maul's equal and Savage went on a god mode in TCW is a fail. Savage was being empowered by the Night-Sisters.
I think you missed the point of his post. While I agree with the points you made, the problem is those were made after the fact of him being cut in half and having his head blown off my Owen.

I think what he was getting at, is they should have MADE him a more interesting character and NOT a tool.

Daederik
02.13.2012 , 10:36 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AGoldCrayon View Post
HK-47 has more personality than Maul, and would take offense to this comparison. Meatbag.
Observation: HK Has more personality then most of all of those sacks of meat in the PQ.
"You move like an insect, you think like an insect, you are and insect. Take care not to fall too far out of my favor, patience is not characteristic of a goddess..." -Shodan

Omnitheo
02.13.2012 , 10:59 AM | #20
Darth Maul will be making a return in The Clone Wars soon.

Also, Maul was simply just a tool in the movies, and was far from being true Rule of Two Sith material. He might have cut it in the Old Republic, but he definitely didn't deserve to be part of Bane's Legacy.

Dooku on the other hand is awesome. Every time he fights in The Clone Wars it's awesome. it appears as though everything is so easy for him. He has no problem taking down his opponents. Dooku is a true Sith.